• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Alternatives to Kiersey's classifications

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Unwavering?
:yes: that's right. Unwavering. Find a dictionary and look it up. If you disagree that Ti and/or Fi is unwavering I'd be pleased to know why so I can better understand your position.
They do? Sounds like IP.

(I don't relate to recalling observations. Swimming in Ni does not feel like recalling the past. Ni actually tends to be used as if current understanding can always be escaped.)
This is interesting. I like the swimming metaphor, and I think that's great for Ni, but I'm not seeing any evidence here that you understand the idea behind what I'm saying, so I'll assume that's my fault and try to be more clear. What I am trying to show with the IxxJ grouping is that people who exhibit these myers briggs letters will always use an introverted perceptive role in the lead and support it with an extroverted judging role. Whichever function they utilize is of less importance than the order in which they perceive and make judgments. I think these are much more effective for describing the motivations for why people behave the way they do, and not just how they make their decisions. It reveals deeper motives for why they need to make certain decisions and why they need to be able to have certain perspectives without getting caught up in the specific processes by which they perceive and judge. In other words, I'm not discounting Kiersey's temperaments as total garbage, and obviously the functions are extremely important to a person's character; however, I believe Je/Ji/Pe/Pi goes deeper in determining a person's need to behave the way they do.

So not true. Te moves people? In a literal physical sense perhaps. Technically, if Te doms are exhorting, it would be them yelling at machines and processes.
Extraverted Thinking
Do yourself a favor and brush up on this. I'm not going to take a whole lot of time defending the idea that Te moves people, I think that's fairly obvious.

Dunno what that means, but it could well be true.
I'll admit, I think the ExxP role is probably the strongest of these temperaments.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Here's some other names I came up with after reading about various forms of temperament:

IxxP - the Resolute
Internal judging capabilities feed the Ti/Fi user's unwavering sense of right and wrong or true and false. Both functions are concerned primarily with the manifestation of decisive, steadfast values, whether these lie in the rocky terrain of moral judgments or the x/y plane of rational truths.

IxxJ - the Analyst
The ability to store information and infer possibilities is something Ni shares with Si. They both have a need to recall their observations to make inferences on what they should do or what is possible as an outcome to a situation.

ExxJ - the Exhorter
Te and Fe share the need of external validation for their judgments, but they also have in common the ability to move people, whether by thoughtful organization, dogmatic command, or emotional pull.

ExxP - the Improviser
Ne and Se both desperately rely on their experiential perceptions of reality to form any kind of judgment. Most often though, they find themselves way too involved with their experiments to be overly dependent on any kind of restrictive rules or judged boundaries.

I tried to be more thoughtful and considerate of the actual type descriptions when I did these, because the last batch was not without its defects. Hopefully these better epitomize the ideas I'm developing.

I think that these are fairly accurate.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Yeah, I have a problem with more than just names. To put INTJs and ISFJs in one category, and ISTPs and INFPs in another is totally bunk. That's the equavalent of claiming that tigers and zebras are the same species because they both have stripes.

Anyway, the only ideals or rules that ISTP guys tend to go by is "don't call me a faggot"

ya that makes sense...ISTPs are just loonies with no sense of direction ethically, or morally. Let go of your theoretical concept of typology for a second because you probably have zero actual experience being with any ISTP.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
TJ: The Assholes
FJ: The Martyrs
NP: The Airheads
SP: The Hedonists

SJ - the Guardians
SP - the Artists
NJ - the Visionaries
NP - the Dreamers

ST - the Down-to-earth
SF - the People-minded
NT - the Rationals
NF - the Idealists

FJ - the Value-minded
FP - the Emotion-minded
TJ - the Efficients
TP - the Theorists

IP: proto-Phlegmatic
IJ: proto-Melancholy
EP: proto-Sanguine
EJ: proto-Choleric

Let's say they're all right! That makes me a Proto-Phlegmatic Rational Theorizing Airheaded Dreamer.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I think that these are fairly accurate.
:happy:
ya that makes sense...ISTPs are just loonies with no sense of direction ethically, or morally. Let go of your theoretical concept of typology for a second because you probably have zero actual experience being with any ISTP.
I'll admit that I know very few ISTP's or ESTP's in real life; however, if you'll go back and read the continuation of this thread, you'll find that I revamped the names to better fit with each type. The first ones did need some improvement. I will point out, though, that ISTP's would use Ti in the main role, which has little to do with morals or ethics and more to do with checking systems for internal consistency, which can be done in either a theoretical sense or a mechanical sense. This allows it to be used as a tool for refining products or ideas.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I like your classifications!

I've had similar ideas for the same reasons as yourself. I've also had the NP/NJ idea before. :yes:

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
TJ: The Assholes
FJ: The Martyrs
NP: The Airheads
SP: The Hedonists

Lol! That's accurate :D
That makes me a... proto-Sanguine Theorizing Rational Dreaming Airhead.
Hmm. The NP combination of me wants to complete the list and make names for every combination of two. Completely useless theory indeed.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Why we wouldn't try with something quite different ?

1.Ne and Ni doms

2.Te and Ti doms

3.Se and Si doms

4.Fe and Fi doms

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have always seen people in terms of that as well AO.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
Lol! That's accurate :D

See, I was going by the primary extraverted function, meaning the terms describe how others see you. So, it would make sense for all of them to be negative. Right!

The NP combination of me wants to complete the list and make names for every combination of two. Completely useless theory indeed.

Now, every possible combination... that might be a lot. You'd have 20+ words in a string, so whoever wanted to come up with all those words would have to come up with 80+ to cover every type. And no overlapping... we've already had two different groups referred to as the Idealists.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Why we wouldn't try with something quite different ?

1.Ne and Ni doms

2.Te and Ti doms

3.Se and Si doms

4.Fe and Fi doms

Jung worked it in almost this way. I think grouping types by dominant functions is a good start. Grouping dominant intuitives, thinkers, etc. seems okay also.

If you want dominant communication styles you can group by extroverted functions:

NP - Ne communicators
SP - Se communicators
TJ - Te communicators
FJ - Fe communicators

If you want judging styles:

FP - Fi users
TP - Ti users
TJ - Te users
FJ - Fe users

I'll post another with names :).

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Now, every possible combination... that might be a lot.

Combinatorics!
Choose 2 out of 4 letters to make your description -> 6 possibilities
Choose the first -> 2 possibilities
Choose the second -> 2 possibilities

You'll need 24 descriptions for all types.

For any given type, you'll need 6 words.

Example: ENTP = (word describing EN) + (word describing ET) + (word describing EP) + (word describing NT) + (word describing NP) + (word describing TP)
Of course, it IS redundant to use 6 words instead of 4. But it's fun! :D And you can juggle with the order of the words to emphasize some. (Like: I'm rather an theorizing airhead than an airheaded theorist)

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
But! There are also the complicated ones, like NF/NT/SJ/SP, TJ/FJ/SP/NP, that aren't straight combinations of 2 letters.

So ENTP would have one word describing NP from the NP/NJ/SP/SJ standpoint, and another word describing NP from the NP/SP/TJ/FJ standpoint. One word describing NT in terms of NT/NF/ST/SF, another describing NT in terms of NT/NF/SP/SJ. So we're getting into at least 12 words per type.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
ooookkkaaaayyyy....
I was going for a single word describing eg. NT in each of the divisions. Makes it a little bit more feasible.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
Wait... I thought we were trying to make this as difficult/ridiculous as possible?