User Tag List

12 Last

Default Si = "comfort zone"?

Would other Si users agree? How about those whose types don't have Si?
    Hello

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

For me, with it as tertiary ("eternal child") it definitely is, to the point of it being a solid anchor in my determining my type.
    For SJ's, it will likely be more serious yet still provide comfort.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

^ I like that, "eternal child". Yeah, my Si is about comfort. I think that's why my mindset becomes more Si-like when stressed. I'm all about what I know will feel good based on my past experience.

I also have a little bit of "this is different from before" detection that I think is Si.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

My deceiving shadow function is Si, and it needs to f*** off.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Ni = comfort zone too, they both have an 'I dont understand it, it must be dangerous' affect with them. The difference is that Ni is, from what Ive seen, more likely to enjoy expanding the comfort zone. Si delights in the comfort zone more than Ni, too it seems.

Example: My ESJ brother and I go to a restaurant. I will look at the food I haven't had before and decide from there first. My brother would likely choose from these things: Quesadilla, chicken strips, grilled cheese sandwich, or a burger. He is also more likely to not like something that is made differently from before.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    ^ I like that, "eternal child". Yeah, my Si is about comfort. I think that's why my mindset becomes more Si-like when stressed. I'm all about what I know will feel good based on my past experience.

I also have a little bit of "this is different from before" detection that I think is Si.
    That is something I envy about people with Si. They can be extremely perceptive about those kinds of things. A lot of the time I feel like I'm staring through my imagination (Lack of Se/Si I guess?)
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

I agree but mine is in tertiary position. I'd love to hear how it works in dominant or secondary function.

MBTI
    CAT

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post

I have a similar experience. It feels very good to me to remember past, and I can also detect differences from 'usual'. And actually when I'm in a bad life situation, I always end up recalling past into great details and figuring out 'how is the present situation different from when I was happy, and why'. It can be really helpful and comforting, but I have to pay attention not to overdo it, because it can do VERY nasty tricks with my mind (combined with overusing Ti = recipe for disaster).

But I like the comparison with "comfort zone" more and more, actually. I think it would explain a lot. My ISTJ boyfriend, I believe, was pretty ENFP as a child and still is a big dreamer, but then he went through some negative experiences that made him feel very bitter and cynical about the world and his ideals, and I believe that the way he always turns to past experiences and pragmatic approach (Si+Te) makes him feel secure and self-confident and helps him hide his insecurities - therefore, totally "comfort zone".

However, I guess that the difference between types who have Si as primary and secondary functions and those who have it lower is that the former use it very skillfully and can rely on it without worry, whereas the latter often use it very clumsily and shouldn't rely on it too much. For example, my INFP father has a strong Si, which is great on abstract level (he has a wonderful memory), but not so great on concrete level (he ALWAYS wants to do practical thinks ONLY in ONE way he knows, even if that way is totally inconvenient, and is EXTREMELY stubborn about that - I guess it also provides him comfort in a way). Sadly, I can see I'm becoming more and more like him in this aspect as I'm older... I can only hope my ISTJ boyfriend would cure me of this a little, really.

MBTI
    ?

Yeah, I buy that. I think it's hard to overstate the "coming home" longing of Si. The most satisfying moments of my life have been when I get to do something familiar after being out of my "comfort zone" for some time.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I agree with the whole idea.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

To deal with Si is defenetely a limit zone for me, even it does'nt give aldrenaline.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan