User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I can use Si. I have a very good memory, especially for sensory stuff. For example, I can smell a flower and memories of my childhood will come back to me. But I really find Se to be far more comforting.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Yeah it works as a "comfort zone," but that's still a limited way to view it. It has lots of other uses. It is also impeccable at internalizing information. I'll use music as an example: Ne would be likely to consider new and interesting forms of music or new ways to play an instrument (innovation), whereas Si would be more concerned with hitting the notes exactly right and playing in time (consistency). It notices and remembers details and can recall them at ease for future reference. I play in a tribute band, so memorization and accuracy is key, and I find that Si is a fantastic tool for achieving this goal. I hear intonation extremely well, I have a good sense of rhythm, and I remember the parts relatively easily.

I've noticed that it offers a fantastic supporting role in ESTJ music directors (of which there are many, trust me!). To the dominant Te user, Si offers a fantastic tool for listening to the group and internalizing details within a complex sound, and then using that for Te's problem solving and organization.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by incubustribute View Post
    Yeah it works as a "comfort zone," but that's still a limited way to view it. It has lots of other uses. It is also impeccable at internalizing information. I'll use music as an example: Ne would be likely to consider new and interesting forms of music or new ways to play an instrument (innovation), whereas Si would be more concerned with hitting the notes exactly right and playing in time (consistency). It notices and remembers details and can recall them at ease for future reference. I play in a tribute band, so memorization and accuracy is key, and I find that Si is a fantastic tool for achieving this goal. I hear intonation extremely well, I have a good sense of rhythm, and I remember the parts relatively easily.

I've noticed that it offers a fantastic supporting role in ESTJ music directors (of which there are many, trust me!). To the dominant Te user, Si offers a fantastic tool for listening to the group and internalizing details within a complex sound, and then using that for Te's problem solving and organization.

+1

You should make more posts like this explaining the utility of Si. I feel like Si is a really poorly understood function in general by the forum community.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    +1

You should make more posts like this explaining the utility of Si. I feel like Si is a really poorly understood function in general by the forum community.

I think a great way to learn about this type is to try to describe it in as few words as possible. The best I've got is "detail internalization," or "retention."
    The reason it often gets described as a "comfort zone" is that oftentimes we use it in demanding situations to try to determine the best way possible of solving a problem. Since Si acts as an internalization process by which we access our memory, our memory often serves to tell us WHAT it was that we did to be successful the last time we were in a similar situation and HOW exactly it was that we did it, and then we use the Je function to act on this realization. So memory causes Si to do what it's always done and get it right/solve the problem how it always has.

This is great, but I find that it's useful to apply some form of iNtuition (whatever is in your tertiary/inferior as a primary/secondary Si user) for greater balance so you don't get stuck in a rut. This is especially important for me as an artist. I have to constantly remind myself that music is so much more than being perfectly in tune or getting the notes right - you have to see the big picture and be creative in that process.
    Hope this helps

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't know. Ni for me is more about the internal world, imagination and ideas, and working out those ideas. Rarely is it about mundane things like what to order on the menu or a new furniture arrangement.
    What a waste of life..

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Trying to find a term that encompasses it better, maybe "familiarity" would work. It definitely acts as a comfort zone for me, but as Incubus said above, and from INxPs' examples, it's more than that. "Familiarity" could apply to all these things.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.