0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default MBTI and acting ability/versatility

There are various views on this:

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    And why would an ISTJ be a "flat actor"? Once again MBTI type does not indicate your abilities to do something.
    Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    Have any of the INTPs here ever acted or known any other INTPs who acted well? I can't picture any of my INTP friends acting. I've never typed any actors as one either. The entire endeavor doesn't seem very INTP to me. I don't think INTPs are particualry built for putting oneself in someone else's skin in mind, body and gesture.
    What say you - are all types equally talented actors or are some types more talented than others? What are the core competencies of the various types with respect to acting?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Perhaps we should have people take up the opposing supposition:

That personality has no impact on:
    - how an actor acts
    - how good s/he is naturally at particular style of acting
    - how they attend to approach a role

... and so forth.

Honestly, I think that supposition is indefensible. It seems so clear that there are general tendencies in actors that stem in part from personality traits.

I'd also say that most of this argument seems to be revolving around social politics and attempts at pigeon-holing. Some people are being far too specific in what they'll "allow" a particular type to do; others are being far too general in saying that type has no bearing at all.

Can't we just all be moderate together and get along?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think all types can have good actors, but the way it comes out is different depending on a the person's type. Also I think it might be possible to discern a person's type in other types of creative forms. For example I believe in art, Formalism tends to be an S dominated style while Expressionism tends to be more N dominated.

Anyway I think Matthew Broderick is an example of an INTP actor. I think he's a good actor, but he's sometimes criticized as being bland. (That's a criticism you'd expect toward an INTP actor.) I think you'll find in general there are more P actors than J actors, but other than that you can find an actor of probably any type.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ...Some people are being far too specific in what they'll "allow" a particular type to do; others are being far too general in saying that type has no bearing at all.

Can't we just all be moderate together and get along?
    I agree with you!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Each type probably has an aptitude or impediment -- I can't see, on average, ISTJs with more potential than ESFPs.

Regarding Liquid Laser's thought: can types be determined through an individual's preferred technique? Perhaps those with Fi would be more inclined to Method acting, whereas those with Fe are more emulative.

I think ENFP's have amazing stage presence... Speaking from experience of course!

MBTI
    INTJ

I would suspect that each type could be very good actors, depending on the role. I do, however, think that some types are better at playing roles that are not like their rl personality (versatility, basically). Christopher Walken, for instance, versus Anthony Hopkins or John Wayne.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISXJ

"All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players:
    They have their exits and their entrances;
    And one man in his time plays many parts" -- Shakespeare

Personally, I agree with Shakespeare...we all "act out a part" in our own way in our lives. However, with regard to acting in a pop culture or a professional/career sort of way, I think a person's personal passion for what they are doing is much more important than their type. If you love doing something you will take it upon yourself to get better at it. I'm a fan of the whole "practice makes perfect" concept. Raw talent will only get you so far, but perseverence and an inward drive and desire is what will make you great.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Regarding Liquid Laser's thought: can types be determined through an individual's preferred technique? Perhaps those with Fi would be more inclined to Method acting, whereas those with Fe are more emulative.
    I think Method acting has more to do with Se than anything else. I'm not sure if Fi or Fe is a factor (although Fi would be paired with Se, so I guess that makes it related).

Quote Originally Posted by findthejake
    I think ENFP's have amazing stage presence... Speaking from experience of course!
    I read somewhere that ENFP's are the most overrepresented type in acting. I'm not sure if this means that ENFP's tend to have more acting talent, or if it means that they are more likely to seek the spotlight. Probably a bit of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis
    I would suspect that each type could be very good actors, depending on the role. I do, however, think that some types are better at playing roles that are not like their rl personality (versatility, basically). Christopher Walken, for instance, versus Anthony Hopkins or John Wayne.
    Anthony Hopkins is an incredibly versatile actor. He's done everything from Hannibal Lector to St. Paul, with a large variety of roles in between.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Depends on the role, obviously.