• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI and acting ability/versatility

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
There are various views on this:

And why would an ISTJ be a "flat actor"? Once again MBTI type does not indicate your abilities to do something.

Have any of the INTPs here ever acted or known any other INTPs who acted well? I can't picture any of my INTP friends acting. I've never typed any actors as one either. The entire endeavor doesn't seem very INTP to me. I don't think INTPs are particualry built for putting oneself in someone else's skin in mind, body and gesture.

What say you - are all types equally talented actors or are some types more talented than others? What are the core competencies of the various types with respect to acting?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Perhaps we should have people take up the opposing supposition:

That personality has no impact on:
- how an actor acts
- how good s/he is naturally at particular style of acting
- how they attend to approach a role

... and so forth.

Honestly, I think that supposition is indefensible. It seems so clear that there are general tendencies in actors that stem in part from personality traits.

I'd also say that most of this argument seems to be revolving around social politics and attempts at pigeon-holing. Some people are being far too specific in what they'll "allow" a particular type to do; others are being far too general in saying that type has no bearing at all.

Can't we just all be moderate together and get along? :)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think all types can have good actors, but the way it comes out is different depending on a the person's type. Also I think it might be possible to discern a person's type in other types of creative forms. For example I believe in art, Formalism tends to be an S dominated style while Expressionism tends to be more N dominated.

Anyway I think Matthew Broderick is an example of an INTP actor. I think he's a good actor, but he's sometimes criticized as being bland. (That's a criticism you'd expect toward an INTP actor.) I think you'll find in general there are more P actors than J actors, but other than that you can find an actor of probably any type.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
...Some people are being far too specific in what they'll "allow" a particular type to do; others are being far too general in saying that type has no bearing at all.

Can't we just all be moderate together and get along? :)
I agree with you! :cheers:

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Each type probably has an aptitude or impediment -- I can't see, on average, ISTJs with more potential than ESFPs.

Regarding Liquid Laser's thought: can types be determined through an individual's preferred technique? Perhaps those with Fi would be more inclined to Method acting, whereas those with Fe are more emulative.

findthejake

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think ENFP's have amazing stage presence... Speaking from experience of course! :party2:

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I would suspect that each type could be very good actors, depending on the role. I do, however, think that some types are better at playing roles that are not like their rl personality (versatility, basically). Christopher Walken, for instance, versus Anthony Hopkins or John Wayne.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts" -- Shakespeare

Personally, I agree with Shakespeare...we all "act out a part" in our own way in our lives. However, with regard to acting in a pop culture or a professional/career sort of way, I think a person's personal passion for what they are doing is much more important than their type. If you love doing something you will take it upon yourself to get better at it. I'm a fan of the whole "practice makes perfect" concept. Raw talent will only get you so far, but perseverence and an inward drive and desire is what will make you great.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Regarding Liquid Laser's thought: can types be determined through an individual's preferred technique? Perhaps those with Fi would be more inclined to Method acting, whereas those with Fe are more emulative.

I think Method acting has more to do with Se than anything else. I'm not sure if Fi or Fe is a factor (although Fi would be paired with Se, so I guess that makes it related).

findthejake said:
I think ENFP's have amazing stage presence... Speaking from experience of course!

I read somewhere that ENFP's are the most overrepresented type in acting. I'm not sure if this means that ENFP's tend to have more acting talent, or if it means that they are more likely to seek the spotlight. Probably a bit of both.

Metamorphosis said:
I would suspect that each type could be very good actors, depending on the role. I do, however, think that some types are better at playing roles that are not like their rl personality (versatility, basically). Christopher Walken, for instance, versus Anthony Hopkins or John Wayne.

Anthony Hopkins is an incredibly versatile actor. He's done everything from Hannibal Lector to St. Paul, with a large variety of roles in between. :)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Depends on the role, obviously.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think it depends on what kind of acting is being done. I think certain types would be better at different types of acting.
I was in theatre for about 12 years and i can say that most NFs were casted as Character actors, always playing someone totally different from who we are. In high school i was typically casted as an old woman or something that just took a lot to become the character. You always had to change the way you walked completely, the way you talked and so on.

SP and SJ types are usually the ones who got the lead roles, if they lead roles were not off the wall characters. They played what was simple, usually not having to change body language or they way they talked, they just played everyday people (which is not saying they lacked talent) it's just what they were better at. Putting the SJ or SP types in a character acting situation made them uncomfortable, they want to act and have a character based on who they already are.

We never had a whole lot of NT types on stage, they were usually behind the scenes, but the few we had seemed to be able to do pretty much any acting, they just thought about it too hard and you can usually see the thinking process on their face during acting, instead of the emotions that should be going on during a scene.

anyway, i don't know if i made any sense, but i do have a lot of experience with acting and how parts are cast.

and i will say that the only BAD actors were the ones who just weren't good at acting.You are either good, or you aren't not one type is a better actor than another, just good at a different type of acting.

Torai

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Best type for acting?

I'm not sure. I think Introverts are good, because they act like different people in society, especially INF's. But, In my opinion, SP's are more spontaneous and better at improv, while NJ's are better at lines.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
There's lots of different methods and styles of acting, I think different types would be best at a bunch of those. I'm a good actor, so I just voted for myself. :blush:

O

Oberon

ENTPs are very much at home being the center of attention...

...for a limited time only.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ne-dominants like to imitate imaginary characters.

miked277

MBTI Type
INTP
acting is a skill that any type can be naturally good at or able to develop to a professional level. i think actors are at their best, performance wise, when they are in a role that closely resembles their own personality. the good ones, of course, are able to play a wide range of roles faithfully and accurately.

having said that, i generally hear and read that the acting community has a larger section of SPs than anything else (plurality, not a majority). this is second hand information but, it *seems* accurate.