User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Is this Fi?

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Is this Fi?

Yesterday I went to a theatre performance.
    I cried at a sad scene, feeling terribly sad myself.
    I felt so good afterwards - even now. Like if this sadness makes me a better human.

Is this Fi?

(Of course, I was annoyed at the actor's inaccurate description of global warming, too, and I didn't feel anything for the lone ice bear on his last ice shelf because they were blaming CFKs instead of CO_2!)

The part in brackets is Fi.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

^^^ If the part in brackets is Fi, what's the part that is not in brackets? Fe?

(Really want to know because I do that shit all the time, not that I'm proud of it or anything ).
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

That could be Fi, could just be being human. I sometimes enjoy feeling sad, I quite like sad songs. I don't like crying much, someone may attempt to console me.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Yesterday I went to a theatre performance.
    I cried at a sad scene, feeling terribly sad myself.
    I felt so good afterwards - even now. Like if this sadness makes me a better human.

Is this Fi?

(Of course, I was annoyed at the actor's inaccurate description of global warming, too, and I didn't feel anything for the lone ice bear on his last ice shelf because they were blaming CFKs instead of CO_2!)
    The first part is just emotion, and that's not strictly Fi. The part in parenthesis is likely Ti, where a perceived logical inconsistency keeps you from being able to accept the rest of the story.

Fi would be if you really started to get into the nitty gritty about why the actor's performance that made you feel sad. Fi would also cover the area where you really engage the sadness and analyze it from an emotional standpoint.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

YAY! That means I'm human. Cool.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Fi would be if you really started to get into the nitty gritty about why the actor's performance that made you feel sad. Fi would also cover the area where you really engage the sadness and analyze it from an emotional standpoint.
    Really, that's Fi? I do that all the time. What would Fe be in this situation?

And moved to MBTI (tm), Enneagram, and other personality matrices.

ETA: Maybe it's how far you go with it?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Can I ask a question here? So for you, Fi includes analysing your emotions? Analysing what and why it made you feel that way. Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I don't do that. That is what interests me.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm quite sure the analyzing part (eg. me afterwards trying to associate it with one of those functions) is Ti.
    I'm just wondering if the "being moved by a beautiful, tragic scene" was Fi or Fe. I thought it was Fi because it moved me, inside, my reaction didn't have any effect on anyone else.

Also, I think the "being unable to appreciate the story because of some scientific inconsistency" is Ti overruling Fi (or Fe).
    Darn it, actors, if you want to use science in your play, use it well! I'm sure I would be moved by that scene too and enjoyed it, if you just mentioned the right chemical. It's not that hard.

Whatever - I'm going to give both my Fi and Fe functions mental cookies and tell them they may keep up the good work.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    YAY! That means I'm human. Cool.
    Well... let's not get hasty now...

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post

ETA: Maybe it's how far you go with it?
    Good question. I probably didn't go deep enough, and made it a T vs F issue. That, or my example just sucked.

"F" in general relates to how things affect us personally. Fi and Fe just directs itself in different ways. In this example, I'm trying to distinguish between feeling the emotion, and using a cognitive process to analyze the emotion.

I'm willing to bet what aspects of the situation we evaluate would differ, Protean.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Can I ask a question here? So for you, Fi includes analysing your emotions? Analysing what and why it made you feel that way. Interesting...
    Definitely. It's how I get myself into ruts - I get so busy analyzing my emotions that I forget to do something about them. ISFPs, in my experience, are more geared for action, so instead of forgetting about doing something about the emotion, it becomes an obsession of "What do I do about this?"

I don't do that. That is what interests me.
    Well, if you are indeed ESFP, that could explain it a bit. ESFPs and ENFPs often don't do that, and often resent situations that cause them to go into Fi mode.
    Last edited by Udog; 11-13-2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo