• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I wish I were an S

Choose one

• I am a happy N

Votes: 47 62.7%
  • I am a happy S

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • I am an unhappy N and want to be an S is (if possible)

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • I am an unhappy S and want to be an N is (if possible)

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

musttry

MBTI Type
INFJ
I haven't posted much but I've been around. I have often wondered why so many people (read Ns) seem to put down Ss. I don't get this whole wanting to be an N. Some have suggested that it has to do with wanting to be unique and that since Ss are "suppose" to be the majority, no one dares type as an S (Mbti tests are easily fooled once you know the system).

I hate N. In my case, I seem to come up with all these conclusions that seem poorly based on reality and they often come back to bite me in the ass. It has its advantages since I'm an analyst and have to make recommendations, but it took me a long time to make sure my recommendations were based on the data. Nevertheless, I continuously have to check my perception with others to make sure I haven't gone completely off track. In fact, one of the VPs at work is an INTP and most people don't want to work with him because he's usually off in his head and has a hard time communicating the information.

My closest coworker (analyst like me) is an ISFJ and he is the most decent, amicable, hard-working, considerate, smart and creative guy I have met. He has a beatiful wife and kid (meaning that he is socially stable, in my books anyways) and he treats them with love and respect and they seem to have a great time. We are similar in many ways buy I find that his main advantage over me is that he doesn't stress about the meaning of it all.

So, what's up with wanting to be an N? Why aren't more people typed as Ss here?

Last edited:

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Poll results this far: five happy Ns, one happy S and two unhappy Ns. I fear your poll will attract happy Ns wanting to show it's not that bad to be an N, thus skewing the results.

I'm a quite extreme and happy N. Not enjoying the present because of a lot of plans, having to concentrate a lot when details have to be right - you name it. Sometimes, I wish for a little bit more S. I want to enjoy the present too.

I never wanted to be an N, or an S for that matter. I knew myself already quite well before I even heard of Myers-Briggs. Like I said in another thread: the description has to follow reality, not vice-versa. I'm Tamske, a teacher, a wife, an amateur writer and a thousand other things before I'm an ENTP.

... Stressing about the meaning of it all? What are you talking about? :huh: Have I really found an aspect where I'm not N?

T

ThatGirl

People think N is mystical or ideal.

Truth is I have researched this. S get the same results as N with perceived lesser effort.

The only exception being the healthy N.

I think a lot of people who just think a lot, classify themselves as N. Sure introspection is a "part" of it, but the willingness to grasp concepts is more.

For instance an unhealthy S may look for signs and be analytical.

The healthy N recognizes an underlying component and capitalizes on it IF it is relevant.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Mystical? Ideal??
If *that* is the definition of N, I'm going to get my Sensor badge now! :p

musttry

MBTI Type
INFJ
I fear your poll will attract happy Ns wanting to show it's not that bad to be an N, thus skewing the results.

I know that my poll is flawed :), this is what I do for a living. The source of the sample is wrong because it is over represented by Ns. Also, as you said the title creates a bias in self selection. I just like polls and stats and will probably put in one in any string I start :yes:

I want to enjoy the present too.
Exactly my point.

I'm Tamske, a teacher, a wife, an amateur writer and a thousand other things before I'm an ENTP.

I'm glad that you seem to have a firm notion of your identity. However, my point is that Ns relative disconnectedness from reality makes this hard to do.

... Stressing about the meaning of it all? What are you talking about? :huh: Have I really found an aspect where I'm not N?

I'll yield on this one. That is most probably more NF than anything else.

musttry

MBTI Type
INFJ
S get the same results as N with perceived lesser effort.

This is what I suspect too. I think that N makes us second guess too much.

The only exception being the healthy N.

I guess I've revealed myself then :doh: Bah, it's all part of soul-searching.

So there you have it Ss are just as smart but have it easier than Ns. So back to my main question, why is there so much S bashing in the N forums (especially NF).

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mystical? Ideal??
If *that* is the definition of N, I'm going to get my Sensor badge now! :p

HAHHAHA ^^^ That!

Nah, seriously, I'd rather be an IxTJ any day....I think that's why I tested ISTJ in high school - I considered that to be my ideal. Someone quiet, reflective, detached/objective, and reserved who can get shit done and not bitch about it. What's not to like?! :D

Now some of you may think I'm being a sarcastic person, but I'm serious. Until I was in my mid-20s, I DESPERATELY WANTED to be an IxTJ....

Still do, but now I realize that I'm just not...and well, who cares??? Just gotta love myself as I am.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I might be an N. I might be an S.

Either way, I'm generally happy with how I operate and am subsequently happy with my type, whatever it is.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This website can glorify N's as being mystical and ideal at times. I think IRL it can be like the OP suggests. Someone who takes all kinds of irrelevant information and draws conclusions that don't help situations at all.

Just like you can find a dumb S who can't read between the lines and likes to watch football and has nothing witty or interesting to add to conversations. That also doesn't help at all. Anyone of any type can be "ideal" if they use their strengths to the best of their ability and try to work on their weaknesses.

I guess i'm preaching to the choir.

B

brainheart

I pretended to be an ISFP for a long time. Then ISFJ. Neither suited me. But I hated myself for that fact. Now I am happy to be me. Why waste my time and mess with my mental health trying to be someone else? I am who I am for a reason, dammit. Someone told me once that what I consider to be my weaknesses are my strengths. That person was very wise, not to mention right on. You are destroying yourself with that sort of attitude, musttry.

I have nothing against sensors. I'm married to one, and I think they are awesome. That's why I wanted to be one. But that fact doesn't make me one, no matter what. It's not like you choose who you are.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The ideal problem solving requires a team of people with different approaches and thought processes to create balance. Even creative individuals tend to need to be able to integrate different sorts of thought processes rather than rely on only one approach. Rather than seeing one function as an ideal, it makes sense to understand how they interrelate and together form the ideal.

Sometimes my lack of awareness of my surroundings is a problem. I've had a few close calls because I just didn't see or think of all the concrete elements. I think that situational awareness is quite important, and it would seem in the context of MBTI that it is more of a Sensor skill.

The boxed category approach of MBTI creates a reality simplified to the point of being sometimes false. Like someone said earlier, everyone has both Sensing and iNtuition that they use together. There is no such thing as being only one or the other. If I had to think of it, I'm not sure I read that much difference between many people with contrasting MBTI types. There are a few cases that stand out as being S or N, T or F, but most of the time I think everything that is said is reinterpreted based on the label by the name. Many people seem quite certain of the distinctions, and sometimes I can see it, but more often I see statements that can be interpreted in a number of ways.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Hell no. I wouldn't want to be an ESTJ, no no no.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hell no. I wouldn't want to be an ESTJ, no no no.

Hahaha. This is one S/N pair that I find to be COMPLETELY different.
estj vs. entj.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
In the past i have said on here that i want to be an N .. They seem to get more respect than the S's ..

I am not sure if it is this site in particular but on another similar to this .. Everyone mixes and there doesn't seem to be N/S hatred. It is like people get so caught up in those 4 letters, like they are Gospel.

Up until quite recently, i stopped sweating it .. So people think S should stay with S's and N's with N's .. That is just narrow thinking and best of luck to you with that mentality.

I have actually wondered what would happen if we all removed our types and just talked to each other as human beings .. It would be interesting :yes:

I am happy to be a sensor because i smell the roses, i want something, i get it. I won't over analyze a hundred different ways as to the outcome ..
I won't be old and question myself as to why i didn't go out in life and grab everything that was there for the taking .. I am living now ..

I am happy exactly the way i am.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What do so many people have against ESTJs? No wonder none of them frequent the website...sheesh!

They seem to be public enemy #1....closely followed by ENFJ as public enemy #2...ridiculous.

Sure, I might be really different from an ESTJ, and they can be like whoaaaa sometimes and you just think :wtf:! But thank goodness they are there. :yes:

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
What do so many people have against ESTJs? No wonder none of them frequent the website...sheesh!

They seem to be public enemy #1....closely followed by ENFJ as public enemy #2...ridiculous.

Sure, I might be really different from an ESTJ, and they can be like whoaaaa sometimes and you just think :wtf:! But thank goodness they are there. :yes:

I don't give a damn what your type is. If I like you, I like you.

If you're nutty as a fruitcake, or abusive, I won't.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't give a damn what your type is. If I like you, I like you.

If you're nutty as a fruitcake, or abusive, I won't.
HAHAHA
Abusive fruitcakes.

That sounds like a Christmas party gone terribly wrong.

:offtopic:

wolfy

awsm
ENFJ, who doesn't like Pink and Outsider? Only a friggin moron. It is about the individual.