• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I wish I were an S

Choose one

• I am a happy N

Votes: 47 62.7%
  • I am a happy S

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • I am an unhappy N and want to be an S is (if possible)

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • I am an unhappy S and want to be an N is (if possible)

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't give a damn what your type is. If I like you, I like you.

If you're nutty as a fruitcake, or abusive, I won't.

Oh crap. I'm not abusive, but I am on the edge of being nutty as a fruitcake...:newwink:

Nah, but seriously - *I* love ENFJs...'specially PINKY! :D I think you guys are awesome. :hug:

And quite frankly, I think we should be at least GRATEFUL that there are ESTJs out there, if not HAPPY about it...though I have to admit, I find your ISTJ cousins cuter. ;)

B

brainheart

I don't give a damn what your type is. If I like you, I like you.

If you're nutty as a fruitcake, or abusive, I won't.

:yes:

Seriously, are there people who actually go out into the world and think, "oh, that person is such an ESF-whatever. I'm just not even going to bother."

I don't get it. The OP seems to be the one who has the issue with S vs N. I in no way think one is better than the other. I just don't want to be someone other than who I am, that's all. If you want to be someone other than who you are, S or N- wise, then you are implying one is better than the other, rather than them just being different.

And hey, you know what? I smell the roses, too! I know... crazy, right?

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I haven't posted much but I've been around. I have often wondered why so many people (read Ns) seem to put down Ss. I don't get this whole wanting to be an N. Some have suggested that it has to do with wanting to be unique and that since Ss are "suppose" to be the majority, no one dares type as an S (Mbti tests are easily fooled once you know the system).

I hate N. In my case, I seem to come up with all these conclusions that seem poorly based on reality and they often come back to bite me in the ass. It has its advantages since I'm an analyst and have to make recommendations, but it took me a long time to make sure my recommendations were based on the data. Nevertheless, I continuously have to check my perception with others to make sure I haven't gone completely off track. In fact, one of the VPs at work is an INTP and most people don't want to work with him because he's usually off in his head and has a hard time communicating the information.

My closest coworker (analyst like me) is an ISFJ and he is the most decent, amicable, hard-working, considerate, smart and creative guy I have met. He has a beatiful wife and kid (meaning that he is socially stable, in my books anyways) and he treats them with love and respect and they seem to have a great time. We are similar in many ways buy I find that his main advantage over me is that he doesn't stress about the meaning of it all.

So, what's up with wanting to be an N? Why aren't more people typed as Ss here?

strange, I have an INFJ friend who is a wanna-be sensor too.

There are pros and cons to being N or S. You can't really change your core but you can work on the loose ends. No S or N is limited to just thinking and acting like a sensor or an intuitive.

why aren't there a whole lot of sensors on here? Maybe because mbti is just theory. Most the sensors are outside playing right now.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a lot of experience with both types. They are more alike than you realize!!

ENTJ's seem much more goal oriented and forward moving to me.

Most S/N pairs look alike somehow.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In the past i have said on here that i want to be an N .. They seem to get more respect than the S's ..

I am not sure if it is this site in particular but on another similar to this .. Everyone mixes and there doesn't seem to be N/S hatred. It is like people get so caught up in those 4 letters, like they are Gospel.

Up until quite recently, i stopped sweating it .. So people think S should stay with S's and N's with N's .. That is just narrow thinking and best of luck to you with that mentality.

I have actually wondered what would happen if we all removed our types and just talked to each other as human beings .. It would be interesting :yes:

I am happy to be a sensor because i smell the roses, i want something, i get it. I won't over analyze a hundred different ways as to the outcome ..
I won't be old and question myself as to why i didn't go out in life and grab everything that was there for the taking .. I am living now ..

I am happy exactly the way i am.

Yea, you only see that S/N divide on the website though, not in real life. I've never known an N to look down on me in real life for the simple fact that they are an N. (Some people just look down on others IRL because they are plain jerks, but there doesn't seem to be a correlation between that and N vs. S.)

I figure if people wish to type themselves N to have power on this one website, then good for them. Won't do them much good outside of here, though.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
What do so many people have against ESTJs? No wonder none of them frequent the website...sheesh!

They seem to be public enemy #1....closely followed by ENFJ as public enemy #2...ridiculous.

Sure, I might be really different from an ESTJ, and they can be like whoaaaa sometimes and you just think :wtf:! But thank goodness they are there. :yes:

I don't get along with them at all. I've had repeated instances where an ESTJ wanted to physically hit me because I didn't abide to his authority :huh: so...yeah that's why. Of course it's partially due to my attitude, too, since plently of people get along with the same ESTJs that want to kill me.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't get along with them at all. I've had repeated instances where an ESTJ wanted to physically hit me because I didn't abide to his authority :huh: so...yeah that's why. Of course it's partially due to my attitude, too, since plently of people get along with the same ESTJs that want to kill me.

Hmm.. not abiding by authority..
Couldn't you have that same kind of trouble with other ENTJ's?
Just a thought.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Literally or figuratively? Kill you, I mean...?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Hmm.. not abiding by authority..
Couldn't you have that same kind of trouble with other ENTJ's?
Just a thought.

For some reason, no, I don't have the same problem...perhaps we see the world more similarly, thus it's easier to avoid headbutt.

Literally or figuratively? Kill you, I mean...?

Kill is figurative, but they definitely tried to beat me up more than once, during a fit of rage.

B

brainheart

So yeah, musttry, I would say there is this misconception that Ns are the smart ones, you see it the hell all over the place. I kind of assumed most of my family members were NFs or NTs initially because of this, and the fact that I have this very intellectually-focused family. On further examination, I've decided most of them are SJs and SPs. Of the eight of us, I think there's probably one NF (me) and one, possibly two, NTs, which coincides with what is considered to be the standard personality percentages. I think you can blame Keirsey and personality page for this, not to mention those 'do who you are' people who figure careers into the whole personality equation. I think that's what confuses people more than anything.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, that is definitely over-the-top; however, I wonder if one could generalize and extend that to most ESTJs...

I knew an xSTJ who actually took the test (he didn't put much stock in it, though). He was actually really reserved and stuff...if anything he wasn't at all violent...just a little bit stuffy...But he had really good sides to him - he could engage me in good discussion; he could flirt and be funny; it was kind of weird to see a calendar with naked chicks on the wall and nothing else but white paint and a spotlessly kept apartment. My god, he was so anal-retentive with cleaning, but had that naked chick calendar up on the wall. Weird. But amusing! :D

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Well, that is definitely over-the-top; however, I wonder if one could generalize and extend that to most ESTJs...

I knew an xSTJ who actually took the test (he didn't put much stock in it, though). He was actually really reserved and stuff...if anything he wasn't at all violent...just a little bit stuffy...But he had really good sides to him - he could engage me in good discussion; he could flirt and be funny; it was kind of weird to see a calendar with naked chicks on the wall and nothing else but white paint and a spotlessly kept apartment. My god, he was so anal-retentive with cleaning, but had that naked chick calendar up on the wall. Weird. But amusing! :D

Yeah well, I'm not saying that ESTJs are a bad type overall, it's just that they are not compatible with FDG, as far as my experience goes. They could easily be compatible with all the other 15 types, or even with ENTJs that are not FDG.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yea, you only see that S/N divide on the website though, not in real life. I've never known an N to look down on me in real life for the simple fact that they are an N. (Some people just look down on others IRL because they are plain jerks, but there doesn't seem to be a correlation between that and N vs. S.)

I figure if people wish to type themselves N to have power on this one website, then good for them. Won't do them much good outside of here, though.

I agree darling. Most of my friends/acquaintances IRL are NT's .. We don't have communication problems and get along really well. I enjoy their approach to life and not one of them puts any kind of power over me .. They are my friends afterall.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah well, I'm not saying that ESTJs are a bad type overall, it's just that they are not compatible with FDG, as far as my experience goes. They could easily be compatible with all the other 15 types, or even with ENTJs that are not FDG.

Awww...it could be the case when two Alpha males come together (or even Alpha male + Alpha female) that there is a BOOM and then holy crap!

I'm quite the opposite of Alpha....I'm probably more like, you know, Epsilon or something.....Zed...yeah. So when Alphas come into contact with me, they relax somewhat, or at least don't feel the need to rip my head off and ROAR BARBAROUSLY while holding my head up in the air and chanting battle hymns.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
why aren't there a whole lot of sensors on here? Maybe because mbti is just theory. Most the sensors are outside playing right now.

Yes, I think that's pretty much it. I don't buy the whole idea that a substantial proportion of self-typed Ns are just sensors who want to see themselves as smart or unique. The sensors I know IRL aren't the type of people who'd want to read through pages of people toying with personality theory, analyzing, introspecting, finding meaning in behaviour patterns, etc. I've mentioned mbti to my S mother before, and she immediately asked, "So? What's that for? What can you do with that?" Something has to be "for" something to be worth her time. I mean, I mentioned a few possible practical applications but since those aren't really the point to me anyway, our conversation didn't get very far.

I posted this link on the "What type are you?" thread:

Who becomes a psychologist?

85% of psychologists studied were N types. This is quite significant when you consider that Ns are a minority in the population. So yeah, I think it's mostly about interest.

I think the disdain expressed toward sensors is more a result of N-types dominating message boards like this than a cause. Ns are something of a minority out in the real world and a strong majority on personality theory boards, so it makes sense that people would often talk about frustrations they have with sensors (communication problems, difficulties finding shared interests...). I've seen similar stuff on boards dedicated to a specific personality type: introverts frequently talking about all the ways extroverts irritate them, feelers talking about how thinkers piss them off, etc.

Yeah, it's too bad when that becomes disdain for an entire group, and sometimes that happens.

I've never wished I was a sensor though. I like being an N. I like playing with ideas and watching others do the same. I even like laughing about my Se-oblivious moments. If I could change a preference it would likely be the I, but that's 'cause I'm a very strong I and it's caused me problems.

B

brainheart

Yes, I think that's pretty much it. I don't buy the whole idea that a substantial proportion of self-typed Ns are just sensors who want to see themselves as smart or unique. The sensors I know IRL aren't the type of people who'd want to read through pages of people toying with personality theory, analyzing, introspecting, finding meaning in behaviour patterns, etc. I've mentioned mbti to my S mother before, and she immediately asked, "So? What's that for? What can you do with that?"

I think there are S types who are interested, obviously- they're here. That said, it just makes my ESFP husband roll his eyes. He tries to be interested sometimes, because it's something I'm interested in, but he really couldn't give a shit. He'd much rather be out skateboarding.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
This website can glorify N's as being mystical and ideal at times.
You know, I'm fighting against any notion of mystical connections between random things. I believe firmly in randomness rather than destiny.
However, I'm constantly looking for general principles. Physical laws. Not New Age connections. I try to combine quantum mechanics with general relativity until my head blows up, I gather the pieces and I try again. I try to find a thousand different ways to explain the laws of Newton to people who see physics as a sort of maths, only more difficult as there are units to take care of.
That's what makes me an N. Not that mystical nonsense. Maybe that's also the T speaking here.

What do so many people have against ESTJs? No wonder none of them frequent the website...sheesh!
*runs ahead, trying to elbow her way throught the army of ESTJs to defend them and failing at it - they are ESTJs after all*

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think there are S types who are interested, obviously- they're here. That said, it just makes my ESFP husband roll his eyes. He tries to be interested sometimes, because it's something I'm interested in, but he really couldn't give a shit. He'd much rather be out skateboarding.

True, some are. I was talking in generalities. Some sensors are interested in typology, just like some sensors do go into psychology. The proportions of S and N types will vary in different interest areas, is what I was sayin'. So you can't conclude that say, 70% of people here are really sensors, just because those are the stats for the general population.