User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default What about the four last functions?

I've searched the 'net and this forum... but I found only information about the four first functions.
    I know everybody uses all eight functions. What is the order of the last four when given a type?

I'd like to have an example. I'm going to take my favourite type again:
    ESTJ: Te, Si, Ne, Fi, ?, ?, ?, ?
    Please, can someone fill in these question marks?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    I've searched the 'net and this forum... but I found only information about the four first functions.
    I know everybody uses all eight functions. What is the order of the last four when given a type?

I have filled them to the best of my ability.

wildcat's profile >
    show all statistics (below the avatar) >
    Find all threads started by wildcat > page 2
    > ESTJ

There is no outside party in a closed system.
    It follows the edge is in the middle.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post

I have a book called “Functions of Type”. It's basically a sort of workbook for people who want to consciously develop their functions and it has exercises and experiments you can try out in real life situations to train yourself. It says that a Jungian analyst called John Beebe proposed that the last 4 functions will develop as the individual's situation calls for them, so I guess that means you can't predict the order of a person's last 4 functions very precisely. He did make a table though of how he saw the typical order of all 8 functions for each type.

The order for your favourite is Te Si Ne Fi Ti Se Ni Fe.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Did you ever see the "Archetypes of the Functions" thread?
    On this post, I try to explain all the possible shadow functions:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...21-post68.html
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Errm... last time I looked there was only four functions T, F, N and S. Everything else relates to those.

Small clarification, the last four parings are irrelevant.

You prefer Ti, you don't prefer Te can be just written as Ti being as it's the order of preference.
    Note that Ti and Te are both T, the preference notes where you prefer to apply it, hence there's only four functions but eight possible preferences.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

True, basically, and that's what my descriptions are based on, now.
    Still, since the application of the functions in the different orientations (I.e. accepted in one, and rejected into the unconscious in the other) does yield notable differences,
    including in the archetypal complexes, that is why they deserved to be treated as eight separate processes.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I MUCH prefer Lenore Thomson's function orderings. I mean, are you going to claim that Ne and Fi are 3rd and 4th for an ESTJ? I mean... really?!?

Her ordering for an ESTJ is Te Si Fe Ni Se Ti Ne Fi

This makes far more sense to me. I think an ESTJ is much more likely to be in tune with expected social rituals, holidays, etc (Fe stuff), but look upon doing things "because they are right for you" (Fi reasoning) with grave suspicion.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

If you think of it as there only being four functions (thinking, feeling, sensing, and intuition), this problem gets resolved. Each function has a preferred direction (introverted or extroverted).

This way, an INTP (for example) would have the order: Thinking, Intuition, Sensing, Feeling, with preferred directions for each. So the last four are really just parts of the first four.

Check out the function calculator I have in my signature -- it allows for all function orders and calculates type from there. There is no rule that any type has to use all of their functions in a certain order. But some orders are more likely than others.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    If you think of it as there only being four functions (thinking, feeling, sensing, and intuition), this problem gets resolved. Each function has a preferred direction (introverted or extroverted).

This way, an INTP (for example) would have the order: Thinking, Intuition, Sensing, Feeling, with preferred directions for each. So the last four are really just parts of the first four.

Check out the function calculator I have in my signature -- it allows for all function orders and calculates type from there. There is no rule that any type has to use all of their functions in a certain order. But some orders are more likely than others.
    So in your system would an ESTJ be likely to have Te Si Fe Ni or would it be more likely Te Si Ne Fi?

And do you think the distinction between Fi and Fe and Ti and Te are artificial? Or merely directional? Because I really suck at Te, but I work as a programmer and clearly some kind of thinking is developed. Having those distinctions between Ti and Te, for example, was very helpful to me. It doesn't feel to me like Ti is just Thinking turned inward... it feels like a separate process.

MBTI
    ISFJ

^Yeah, and what to say about seeing myself in Ti descriptions and testing as having high Ti (not just function tests but a lot of ENTP test results) and having relatively poor Te? Same with Fi vs Fe.