User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 158

Thread: About Intuition

  1. #61
    Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    I'm still trying to figure this Ne-thing out... so, like, if I'm eating ice cream, and the ice cream starts to melt, and that makes me think of global warming and melting glaciers, and glaciers make me think of the North pole, and then I start thinking about Santa Claus, and the next words out of my mouth are "ever notice how all classic Christmas movies have greed as the basic theme?" would that make me Ne-dom or crazy?!
    I'd class those as Si connections. They're concrete, and you're thinking of things that you've come to associate with each other through previous experience of them being found or mentioned in the same context.

    I think typical everyday Ne associations could be for example "Damn that summer sun, everybody loves and looks forward to it and then it melts our ice cream as if it's jealous of the attention we give it, like that naughty boy I just saw stomping on other children's sandcastles. He'd have managed to stomp on more of them if he'd acted nice and made them all relax around him first, like the comforting warm glow of the sunlight we bask in as it melts everything and sets cars alight and burns our skin and gives us cancer. And still we wish away the rest of every year until it comes, just as we fall for the pretty decor and dream-like imagery of Christmas every winter, only to end up fatter and poorer and more stressed out, before forgetting this and spending the rest of the year romanticising and longing for it again." The first words out of your mouth might be "No I don't want another ice cream, it'll probably disappoint me and I'll never get back the minutes spent standing in line waiting for it when I could have been swimming instead!" Just an example, I'm not that grumpy.

    The fact that Sensors do it too doesn't mean it isn't iNtuition. I can make the kind of associations you make above as well. I don't know anyone who doesn't use all four perceiving functions. You can't navigate the world as a human without them. Personality theory addresses preference, not ability.

  2. #62
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    You're the first person I've heard suggest that. In everything I've read, those were considered N over S.
    Big picture means not caught up in the moment... which is definitely P. Se users, more conscious of their surroundings than Ne users, are less likely to show this. I think this is where the confusion comes from.

    Maybe. If it's something "intangible" than I definitely see where that's lacking in me - and in most Ss. But let me give an example: comedy (well... good comedy) is often mentioned as a Ne dominated field - it was in this thread as well. I can see that in the case of comedians who truly make obscure connections - say, Steve Martin or Stephen Colbert. The fantastical is substituted for the realistic. But on a thread earlier this month about Jon Stewart, I was the only one who suggested he was likely a Sensor. Besides the fact that he's funnier than most people (okay, everyone) I know, I don't see that he uses any kind of functional wizardry in his routine. It all seems pretty grounded and basic to me.

    Now, please - I don't bring that up to start a discussion about Jon Stewart's (or any other comedian's) type. If you want to join that debate, there's already a thread for it. I just use it as an illustration of what I see as the difference between what actually is Ne - [the Martin/Colbert style] and what I think is often lumped in with Ne [pretty much any reality-based connection].

    Is that kind of what you mean by the difference between logical connections (a function of Thinking) and instantaneous, completely random connections?
    Ne is focused on the real world. Anything fantastical is simply used as an analogy, and isn't meant to exist by itself (which is much more of an Ni trait). That's why most people see Stewart as an ENTP - his humor is more based on "you do know that what you're saying means this, and if that's the case, it also means this, this and this", even though those connections may not be immediately apparent.

    This is part of the Ne arrogance, as well. We simply can't understand why others don't immediately notice these implications as well.

  3. #63
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Something I'm noticing: It seems that it's typically the people who categorize themselves as 'N's who see things as more black and white; by this I mean, "I use intuition and don't sense; those who sense don't use intuition." I'm not saying that this happens across the board, but it seems to be a trend. It seems counter to their definition of intuition, which I can't help but consider ironic.

    Ruthie, you make a bunch of awesome observations, which leads to something that needs to be said. Observation can often be misinterpreted as intuition. I have a keen eye which allows me to discover parallels, based on what I've either experienced first-hand or read. Is that intuition? My suspicion is no. Does that mean I don't use intuition? No. Is it possible that I use sensing more than intuition and feel more comfortable with it? Yes. Could that be why I am likely an ISFP and not an INFP? Yes.

  4. #64
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Something I'm noticing: It seems that it's typically the people who categorize themselves as 'N's who see things as more black and white; by this I mean, "I use intuition and don't sense; those who sense don't use intuition." I'm not saying that this happens across the board, but it seems to be a trend. It seems counter to their definition of intuition, which I can't help but consider ironic.

    Ruthie, you make a bunch of awesome observations, which leads to something that needs to be said. Observation can often be misinterpreted as intuition. I have a keen eye which allows me to discover parallels, based on what I've either experienced first-hand or read. Is that intuition? My suspicion is no. Does that mean I don't use intuition? No. Is it possible that I use sensing more than intuition and feel more comfortable with it? Yes. Could that be why I am likely an ISFP and not an INFP? Yes.
    Se+Te = powerful pattern-creating tool. That's why xSFPs tend to be such good artists. However, it's deliberative and experience based, while intuition is more subconscious. It's not that we end up at consistently different results, it's that we've taken different paths to get there.

  5. #65
    Senior Member Ruthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ?
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Big picture means not caught up in the moment... which is definitely P. Se users, more conscious of their surroundings than Ne users, are less likely to show this. I think this is where the confusion comes from.



    Ne is focused on the real world. Anything fantastical is simply used as an analogy, and isn't meant to exist by itself (which is much more of an Ni trait). That's why most people see Stewart as an ENTP - his humor is more based on "you do know that what you're saying means this, and if that's the case, it also means this, this and this", even though those connections may not be immediately apparent.

    This is part of the Ne arrogance, as well. We simply can't understand why others don't immediately notice these implications as well.
    But there's always a logical basis for Stewart's associations. It's all very prosecutorial. And he immediately picks up on inconsistencies - which would seem to be more common in Se or Si.

    I've read a lot on this board that assumes Sensors (and particularly SJs) think in tortoise-paced steps, and have little interest in or ability to extrapolate consequences, comprehend theory, or make quick connections between ideas. My only point is that if that is the measure, a lot of people (like me) will test as Ns, and then the proportion of Ns in the population will be above the few percent that it's often assumed to be.

  6. #66
    Senior Member Ruthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ?
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Something I'm noticing: It seems that it's typically the people who categorize themselves as 'N's who see things as more black and white; by this I mean, "I use intuition and don't sense; those who sense don't use intuition." I'm not saying that this happens across the board, but it seems to be a trend. It seems counter to their definition of intuition, which I can't help but consider ironic.

    Ruthie, you make a bunch of awesome observations, which leads to something that needs to be said. Observation can often be misinterpreted as intuition. I have a keen eye which allows me to discover parallels, based on what I've either experienced first-hand or read. Is that intuition? My suspicion is no. Does that mean I don't use intuition? No. Is it possible that I use sensing more than intuition and feel more comfortable with it? Yes. Could that be why I am likely an ISFP and not an INFP? Yes.
    Thanks, brainheart.

  7. #67
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    But there's always a logical basis for Stewart's associations. It's all very prosecutorial. And he immediately picks up on inconsistencies - which would seem to be more common in Se or Si.
    Instantaneously picking up on inconsistencies is practically all NeTi does. The difference is that while a Sensing function would generally be content to point that out, NeTi likes to play with that inconsistency, in Stewart's case, for comedic effect.

    I've read a lot on this board that assumes Sensors (and particularly SJs) think in tortoise-paced steps, and have little interest in or ability to extrapolate consequences, comprehend theory, or make quick connections between ideas. My only point is that if that is the measure, a lot of people (like me) will test as Ns, and then the proportion of Ns in the population will be above the few percent that it's often assumed to be.
    I understand what you're saying, and I certainly do not think those processes are solely the realm of Intuitors. I am saying, however, that these things come more naturally to us, and we're more familiar with them. I hope you realize that oftentimes this seems like more of a curse than a blessing, since it can seriously impede with our interpersonal relationships.

  8. #68
    Senior Member Ruthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ?
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    I understand what you're saying, and I certainly do not think those processes are solely the realm of Intuitors. I am saying, however, that these things come more naturally to us, and we're more familiar with them. I hope you realize that oftentimes this seems like more of a curse than a blessing, since it can seriously impede with our interpersonal relationships.
    That's fine. I wasn't saying it as a complaint at all, just pointing out that it's inconsistent to claim something that common is shared by less than 10% of the population. Heh... there I go pointing out inconsistencies... I still think I'm right about Stewart, btw

  9. #69
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    That's fine. I wasn't saying it as a complaint at all, just pointing out that it's inconsistent to claim something that common is shared by less than 10% of the population. Heh... there I go pointing out inconsistencies... I still think I'm right about Stewart, btw
    That's OK, none of this is real, anyway

  10. #70
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Se+Te = powerful pattern-creating tool. That's why xSFPs tend to be such good artists. However, it's deliberative and experience based, while intuition is more subconscious. It's not that we end up at consistently different results, it's that we've taken different paths to get there.
    Okay, I get what your saying, but when you word something like that, it makes it sound like XSFPs are sitting there, thinking about everything they do, as if it doesn't just 'come' to them, too. Which, in my experience, it does. So it can seem pretty subconscious, just like intuition.

    For example... do you think that when a pro tennis player swings the racket she is deliberately taking into account all of the factors which have affected her game in the past? My guess is no. It probably just happens.

    For this reason, I think intuition and sensing (especially if you use that sensing in more intellectual/artistic pursuits) can be confused pretty easily.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] Things SFJs hate about intuitives
    By Society in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 03-29-2013, 12:03 PM
  2. [MBTItm] How to imply about intuitiveness in web dating?
    By gandalf in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-21-2012, 09:44 AM
  3. [NF] How do INFPs intuit things about people compared to INFJs and Vice Versa?
    By Glycerine in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 08:50 AM
  4. [NF] NF intuition about other people - or Spidey Sense, if you will.
    By dani_elle in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 12:15 PM
  5. [MBTItm] About Intuitive-Feeling and Prediction
    By Nadir in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 02:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO