User Tag List

First 513141516 Last

Results 141 to 150 of 158

Thread: About Intuition

  1. #141
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    It's amazing how different Si and Se can behave actually. I go for long walks almost every day, and almost always the same route. I pass the same buildings, same bus stops, pass the same boats in the harbor... But I don't really see them at all. The past 4 days in a row, I've walked right into the same tree branch hanging over a sidewalk. 4 straight days! Last week, this guy walking into an apartment building said hello to me, and commented that he sees me out there all the time. I didn't recognize him at all.

    I am 100% in my head, usually daydreaming, but many times working through some new idea or theory I've been toying with. I never start imagining random possibilities, like what I would do if I was hit by a car, or anything like that.

    Mostly, it's like I work out movie scenes in my mind - with long-standing characters and plots I've imagined over time (I'm never a character in these stories). Then I pick a set of songs on my iPod that would best score those scenes, and I just zone out. I never write the stuff down. It just serves as a nice escape for an hour or so. It's my own entertainment. The scenes are always very grounded in the possible. The characters are realistic, the settings are places I'm familiar with, and the time is always the present or the past. Sometimes, I'll realize that something in my daydream would be logistically impossible, or is inconsistent with something I'd already established. Rather than being able to let that slip, I'll have to go back and re-work in my mind how it would be possible.

    Sometimes, I'll be so into my daydreams that I'll realize I'm making expressions that go along with the "scene." I'm always worried people passing by will notice and wonder what the hell is wrong with me!
    You know, I am obsessed with the past and historical fiction, and I wonder if this is Si.

    NFPs have Si (INFP tertiary, ENFP inferior) and I think mine must be awfully developed because in the "forest" scenario the Si description resonated most with me.

    However, Ne seems to be "what I do" or what I'm good at. Si is more like a comfort zone...it relaxes me. When I'm walking I love to look at old houses. Old buildings and certain kinds of architecture (usually 18th, 19th, and early 20th century) just thrill and inspire me.

    I just wonder how much all of this has to do with Si, if anything at all.

    I'm also one of those people who is really "into" my early childhood: I love anything that reminds me of the time period before I was about six years old. Very big on nostalgia as a sort of personal comfort.

  2. #142
    Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    You know, I am obsessed with the past and historical fiction, and I wonder if this is Si.

    NFPs have Si (INFP tertiary, ENFP inferior) and I think mine must be awfully developed because in the "forest" scenario the Si description resonated most with me.

    However, Ne seems to be "what I do" or what I'm good at. Si is more like a comfort zone...it relaxes me. When I'm walking I love to look at old houses. Old buildings and certain kinds of architecture (usually 18th, 19th, and early 20th century) just thrill and inspire me.

    I just wonder how much all of this has to do with Si, if anything at all.

    I'm also one of those people who is really "into" my early childhood: I love anything that reminds me of the time period before I was about six years old. Very big on nostalgia as a sort of personal comfort.
    This for me as well.

    I used to love going in old abandoned farm houses for the thrill and inspiration.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

  3. #143
    Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    It's funny, Ruthie. I do that too with the storylines, but I use new characters but the setting can be in the past, present or future. I have no preference usually, it just depends on my mood. I definitely score my daydreams, too. And everytime I hear that playlist, I remember the scenario I was thinking about at the time (plus or minus a few details). Maybe in those moments, you are just using Ne (or I'm using Si?) I mean, everybody uses N and S to some extent. But if something is not possible, I change the storyline to adapt, I don't go back and rework what I have "written" in my mind.
    Me too, except the music isn't really used as a score and I don't remember it later. I'm not particularly aware of it, it's just background noise to help me stay focused and to help the daydream go in a straight line, which is the same reason I pace around furiously as I daydream (probably because of ADHD, not type - I also need more generic background noise to fall asleep and reduce physical restlessness, as like movement it increases dopamine levels in the area of the brain in which they're low). The tempo should be fairly consistent with the daydream but that's all that matters, and not always even that.

    Ruthie, I'm glad to read that you make facial expressions as well, I thought I might be the only person to do that. I make small noises too and when people notice they think I'm talking to myself, it must look a little crazy.

    In addition to the time designated to getting lost in them, these storylines and scenes come and go all day as almost everything interesting I experience, learn or think of gets woven into them there and then as my principle method of exploring ideas and information, and this process accounts for much of my visible 'dreaminess' and absentmindedness. Often, I don't think about things in my own thought voice, I for some reason (perhaps because it stimulates relevant areas of the brain?) find it much more effective to wonder what these characters would make of the subject, and do you know what, they're much smarter and more poetic than I am. My poetry, sentiments and insights are better when I imagine them experiencing or reflecting on something than they are when I do so myself, and I know I'm not the only person like that.

  4. #144
    Senior Member Ruthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ?
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    It's funny, Ruthie. I do that too with the storylines, but I use new characters but the setting can be in the past, present or future. I have no preference usually, it just depends on my mood. I definitely score my daydreams, too. And everytime I hear that playlist, I remember the scenario I was thinking about at the time (plus or minus a few details).
    Yeah, I do that too with the playlist.

    Maybe in those moments, you are just using Ne (or I'm using Si?) I mean, everybody uses N and S to some extent.
    I imagine daydreaming isn't exclusive to N or S - but I would guess between Ne and Si, it would be Si, just because I would assume it's an introverted perception.

    But if something is not possible, I change the storyline to adapt, I don't go back and rework what I have "written" in my mind.
    I think that's what I mean about re-working. If I realize that a timeline doesn't fit for example, I'll have to change either the details or the storyline to make it fit. The inconsistency bothers me too much to just move on with it.

    Can you wander around daydreaming all day, or is it just for that hour or two?
    I can daydream a lot, but I'm not at all a "daydreamy" person, if that makes sense - it's like there's an on/off switch that I'm usually in control of. Motion puts me in daydream mode, so car rides (especially if I'm the driver), train rides, even amusement park rides usually trigger it. How about you?

  5. #145
    Senior Member Ruthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ?
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    You know, I am obsessed with the past and historical fiction, and I wonder if this is Si.
    I don't think it has to be Si, but it is something that I think is common to Si. For me, Si feels like there's something constantly anchoring me and pulling me "home" (I was the stereotypical homesick kid in the college dorm, for example). The people I know who use Ne as a dominant function seem to view the past as something to break free from rather than something to find comfort in. I'm also obsessed with the past and with historical fiction (well, historical anything) and I do see this as a result of Si. But that alone probably wouldn't be evidence of Si.

    NFPs have Si (INFP tertiary, ENFP inferior) and I think mine must be awfully developed because in the "forest" scenario the Si description resonated most with me.

    However, Ne seems to be "what I do" or what I'm good at. Si is more like a comfort zone...it relaxes me. When I'm walking I love to look at old houses. Old buildings and certain kinds of architecture (usually 18th, 19th, and early 20th century) just thrill and inspire me.

    I just wonder how much all of this has to do with Si, if anything at all.
    Probably quite a lot. Your post over on the Southerners tribute thread really showed a lot of evidence of Si. There was an incredible nostalgia to it and an amazing use of detail to set the scene and really give the reader a sense of time and place. Plus, in a really subtle and sophisticated way, it used the kind of stereotyping I always notice as common to Si. Rather than fight against the Southern stereotype (as ByMySword had done), you just spun the stereotype in a positive way. The readers could smell the honeysuckle...

    I'm also one of those people who is really "into" my early childhood: I love anything that reminds me of the time period before I was about six years old. Very big on nostalgia as a sort of personal comfort.
    Yeah, me too. This could be Si, or it could be related to the NF temperament. I think with Si, the past holds a privileged place of comfort and idealization, whereas with NFs, the past might just be one of many things that is idealized. I'm pretty realistic about the present, and I'm not that comfortable with change. Get me talking about either of those things, and you'd probably notice a bit of an edge with me - a flippant, sarcastic side that borders at times on cynicism. But nostalgia is my soft spot. I love seeing cars on the road with Christmas trees tied to the roof, because that evokes nostalgia, family, warmth, comfort, continuity, and all those things that naturally grab me.

  6. #146
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    My grandfather's wife would insult me and verbally abuse me for thinking about things that served no practical purpose to her . She told me when I was being creative that I was wasting time on "stupid shit."
    That's terrible. I hope you don't think that I feel that way as well. Believe me, my life consists almost exclusively of wasting time on unimportant shit. This is not an S vs N issue. It's people who think that their way is the only correct way.

    The 'stoke', Jenocyde, I would imagine comes from Fi, and I think that's what both marmalade and enfpfer relate to. It's this feeling of connection to other living things (not that it has to be a living thing, I can have a similar feeling for a rock) and how happy they make me/ how happy I am to share the world with them/ how much I value them. This feeling is the main reason why I love the world so much. It makes me happy to be here, enjoying it.


    Marmalade Sunrise:
    I actually relate the most to Si, and Ne next, but not while I'm actually *in* the forest...it would be Ne later in a different context.
    That settles it. I'm really an ISFJ.
    Interesting. Are you positive you're an ENFP, not an INFP? It sounds like you're doing the very typical INFP thing of hanging out in Fi+Si. But like I know. (And enfpfer said she does the same thing.) I don't understand ENFP all that well. I don't understand extroversion well at all, point in fact... I guess it's just that you're in a sensory situation so you're going to use the sensory perception you feel most comfortable with?

    I mean, it's not like I don't do the Si thing, too. I love old houses, etc, but usually Si just makes me sad and then I do things like toss out all of my old journals because why focus on the past when there is now that needs to be lived? I love nothing more than letting go of the past and focusing on the present. The present feels like an equalizer to me, an opportunity to wipe the slate clean where none of anyone's mistakes of the past matter. I think that's why it's impossible for me to hold a grudge. I've tried, and I just can't do it.

    It's cool. I think this thread has developed quite nicely. Everyone seems to be sharing and learning, I think especially due to jenocyde's moderation. I love your non-judgmental attitude!

  7. #147
    Senior Member Ruthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ?
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    It's cool. I think this thread has developed quite nicely. Everyone seems to be sharing and learning, I think especially due to jenocyde's moderation. I love your non-judgmental attitude!
    I agree.

  8. #148
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Oh, ps, Ruthie- It's funny because what you say reminds me so much of my ISTJ dad. He can seem so 'out of it' a lot of the time, like he is not in touch with the present moment at all. But the past is very rich to him. Our connecting moments are walking around looking at old houses. I imagine for him it evokes feelings of the past for him, while I admire the architecture, the aesthetics of it.

  9. #149
    Senior Member Ruthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ?
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Oh, ps, Ruthie- It's funny because what you say reminds me so much of my ISTJ dad. He can seem so 'out of it' a lot of the time, like he is not in touch with the present moment at all. But the past is very rich to him. Our connecting moments are walking around looking at old houses. I imagine for him it evokes feelings of the past for him, while I admire the architecture, the aesthetics of it.
    That's cool that you can both get something out of the same experience. There's probably a lot the two of you can learn from each other out of something like that.

  10. #150
    Senior Member Ruthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ?
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    It's funny, Ruthie. I do that too with the storylines, but I use new characters but the setting can be in the past, present or future. I have no preference usually, it just depends on my mood. I definitely score my daydreams, too. And everytime I hear that playlist, I remember the scenario I was thinking about at the time (plus or minus a few details). Maybe in those moments, you are just using Ne (or I'm using Si?) I mean, everybody uses N and S to some extent. But if something is not possible, I change the storyline to adapt, I don't go back and rework what I have "written" in my mind.

    When I am working, I am in super-Te mode, which I find is thrilling and fun - but only for a finite amount of time. I am more comfortable in Ti. Can you wander around daydreaming all day, or is it just for that hour or two?
    By the way, do you really create fresh characters for each daydream?

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] Things SFJs hate about intuitives
    By Society in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 03-29-2013, 12:03 PM
  2. [MBTItm] How to imply about intuitiveness in web dating?
    By gandalf in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-21-2012, 09:44 AM
  3. [NF] How do INFPs intuit things about people compared to INFJs and Vice Versa?
    By Glycerine in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 08:50 AM
  4. [NF] NF intuition about other people - or Spidey Sense, if you will.
    By dani_elle in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 12:15 PM
  5. [MBTItm] About Intuitive-Feeling and Prediction
    By Nadir in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 02:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO