User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Thread: About Intuition

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Si is incredibly detailed and Ne wants the big picture. My INTP bf operates in Ti-Si mode most of the time and I get impatient with all the details. There is a huge difference in the way we speak. I fluctuate between Ne-Fe mode and Ne-Ti mode, but Si rarely fits in anywhere. I have absolutely no patience for all the details - I can't stress that enough. It drives me quite insane, in fact. I simply don't care.

You talked of Si giving you the ability of being a possible stock market maverick... Ne can look at trends overall and possibly predict which way the wind will blow, but it will not systematically analyze and store data and compare it to present data to predict the outcome. The details do not matter. I suspect that my ex was Si dominant, as he and his father actually had this huge graph that they added data to every day for years (years!!) to play the market with. I couldn't fathom such a thing.

My Ne is at it's best when exploring possibilities, not simply making connections. You can come to me with a problem I can instantly ramble off a million and one things that could happen if you follow this path and a million other things that can happen if you follow another. This is why I was very good in my first career in software QA. I literally take the thing we are speaking about and hold it up in a 3D way in my mind and rapidly poke at it from every angle imaginable. It usually stuns people and I often hear "wow, I never thought of that" a lot. I just have the ability to see the big picture, from all angles, very quickly. I can spot a weak spot a mile away. Remembering the past events with detail and imagining a theoretical model before it's built are 2 entirely different things.

Coupled with Ti, this allows me assess exactly what someone means from the words they choose and I can instantly throw you back something you know to be absolutely true and make you doubt yourself - I know this seems mundane, but it's really not. It is no coincidence that the legal profession is filled with teflon-sprayed ENTPs. I can really excel and twist the concept in someone's words around and leaving them (and their belief system) in a pile of shambles. This is not something I am explaining with pride, I am explaining it so you can get a better idea of how Si is very different from Ne.

Ne statements (according to wikisocion) tend to sound more like "just out of curiosity...", "so, what you're really saying is...", "what would happen if...", "in the long run, it makes more sense to..." and words that are conditional in nature.

Si statements (from the same source): "once I get settled...", "I feel comfortable doing...", "compared to last time...", and words that involve a lot of texture.
    Is it possible to have Si as a dominant function and also to not notice (let alone chart) detail?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

I wish someone would count the statements most frequently used by each type on this forum and put it into chart form.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    Is it possible to have Si as a dominant function and also to not notice (let alone chart) detail?
    I really have no idea, since Si is not my strongest function. But all literature and comments from Si users suggest that no you cannot. When you watch a movie, do you remember everyone's names while the movie is still going on? This is something that I am simply unable to do. Details like that go in one ear and out the other. I focus more on the analysis of the character.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I didn't like my last answer - the fact that I had no idea. So I've been looking around and came across this How to tell iNtuiting from extraverted Sensing | Interstrength Associates. Maybe this helps?

One quote:

How to tell the forest from the trees!

Extraverted Sensing - Notices the rich detail in the whole forest - the trees, their color and texture, their sounds, their smells, the pattern of light and dark...

Introverted Sensing - Notes that this forest has always been here and recalls being in a forest from childhood, smelling that smell and the fun of playing hide and seek behind the trees...

Extraverted iNtuiting - Thinks of the fractal patterns, the wide range of possibilities in the forest, how this forest is part of the ecosystem and is affected by polllution from the city...

Introverted iNtuiting - Recognizes that the forest is deeply symbolic of all of life in its interconnectedness and constant recycling and growth and foresees that this forest will soon be torn down for a housing development...

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I didn't like my last answer - the fact that I had no idea. So I've been looking around and came across this How to tell iNtuiting from extraverted Sensing | Interstrength Associates. Maybe this helps?

One quote:

How to tell the forest from the trees!

Extraverted Sensing - Notices the rich detail in the whole forest - the trees, their color and texture, their sounds, their smells, the pattern of light and dark...

Introverted Sensing - Notes that this forest has always been here and recalls being in a forest from childhood, smelling that smell and the fun of playing hide and seek behind the trees...

Extraverted iNtuiting - Thinks of the fractal patterns, the wide range of possibilities in the forest, how this forest is part of the ecosystem and is affected by polllution from the city...

Introverted iNtuiting - Recognizes that the forest is deeply symbolic of all of life in its interconnectedness and constant recycling and growth and foresees that this forest will soon be torn down for a housing development...
    Huh. I relate most to Ni, Se, and Si, based on the above. Hardly Ne at all. If I had to decide, I'd have to say Ni and Si.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Yeah, I don't think this description took the judging function into consideration. Processing Ne through Fi would certainly have an effect that looks more like the description for Ni, I would think. Or it would at least look different from someone who processed it through Ti.

Another difference between S and N (I have like 40 tabs open and I can't remember which one I just copied this from - damn Ne...)

S (Sensation) = Conscious perception; bottom-up approach to information; context emerges from the facts
    N (Intuition) = Unconscious perception; top-down approach to information; pattern first, then related content

Extraverted Sensation (Se) = conscious perceptual experience: focuses on exploiting the immediate creative potential of manifest opportunity

Introverted Sensation (Si) = conscious perceptual impressions: focuses on the realistic relationship of new perceptual events to existing bodies of meaningful information

Extraverted Intuition (Ne) = unconscious perceptual experience: focuses on the contextual pattern that relates otherwise disparate facts to each other, increasing the possibilities for change

Introverted Intuition (Ni) = unconscious perceptual impressions: focuses on the potential relationship of existing perceptual meaning to alternate interpretive possibilities

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Yeah, I don't think this description took the judging function into consideration. Processing Ne through Fi would certainly have an effect that looks more like the description for Ni, I would think. Or it would at least look different from someone who processed it through Ti.
    What do you think that difference would look like?

Another difference between S and N (I have like 40 tabs open and I can't remember which one I just copied this from - damn Ne...)

S (Sensation) = Conscious perception; bottom-up approach to information; context emerges from the facts
    N (Intuition) = Unconscious perception; top-down approach to information; pattern first, then related content
    That resonates. Good info!
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

brainheart

Extraverted Sensation (Se) = conscious perceptual experience: focuses on exploiting the immediate creative potential of manifest opportunity

Introverted Sensation (Si) = conscious perceptual impressions: focuses on the realistic relationship of new perceptual events to existing bodies of meaningful information

Extraverted Intuition (Ne) = unconscious perceptual experience: focuses on the contextual pattern that relates otherwise disparate facts to each other, increasing the possibilities for change

Introverted Intuition (Ni) = unconscious perceptual impressions: focuses on the potential relationship of existing perceptual meaning to alternate interpretive possibilities
    I read this and I don't know why the hell I thought I was an INFP, ever. Se and Ni all the way. Thanks for the good descriptions.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I'm glad that this stuff is resonating. I'm getting a better understanding of Si and Ni, in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    What do you think that difference would look like?
    Hmmm, that's an interesting question. Maybe because Ne is a perceiving function that is not concerned with the concrete world and our aux function is internal, so the top 2 functions can make our types appear to be quite introverted. Which is why Ruthie could be having a problem defining the difference between that and Si.

My best guess is that we Ne doms all intuit in the same way. We just gather and gather, but Fi filters out the noise by checking each piece of data by how it makes them feel. Most times it's used to construct, maintain, challenge and reassess emotional bonds. So of course, the descriptions used would seem more dreamy or esoteric in nature. So Ne+Fi could look like Ni because that forest description had a highly personal tone and evoked a strong feeling.

The Ti filter is more concerned with consistency and validity, rather than connection. So the end result of Ne+Ti could look like Si in theory (but not in the specific forest description provided).

But me personally? The last time I walked into a forest, the trees barely registered at all. I immediately imagined myself in a scenario where I was a survivor of a wreck and had to fend for myself. I then walked around imagining myself in scenarios where I had to kill a bear with my bare hands and build shelter in a tree. I seriously started mentally devising small game traps out of the thicket (and I'm a vegetarian). Then curiosity got the best of me and I actually tried to see if I could devise a trap, just to see if my calculations were correct - which they were. Then I snapped back into reality and realized that I was a mere mile away from home before but now I was lost and didn't pay attention to the turns I took off the trail, and it was pitch black outside now. I started to panic realizing that I just created my own scenario. I took a few moments to marvel at how meta that was. Then I tried to get out of it for real by trying to track the stars like they did in that book I read when I was a kid (who the hell knows which one - The Little Prince? The Boy Scouts handbook I stole from my brother?...) I didn't even notice the fact that I hadn't even gone 15 yards in and had just been walking around in a pathetic, panicky circle for hours in a daydreamy daze - and hadn't noticed the many clearly marked signs designating the way back to the trail. Yeah, Ne+Ti, ftw?

brainheart

But me personally? The last time I walked into a forest, the trees barely registered at all. I immediately imagined myself in a scenario where I was a survivor of a wreck and had to fend for myself. I then walked around imagining myself in scenarios where I had to kill a bear with my bare hands and build shelter in a tree. I seriously started mentally devising small game traps out of the thicket (and I'm a vegetarian). Then curiosity got the best of me and I actually tried to see if I could devise a trap, just to see if my calculations were correct - which they were. Then I snapped back into reality and realized that I was a mere mile away from home before but now I was lost and didn't pay attention to the turns I took. I started to panic realizing that I just created my own scenario. I took a few moments to marvel at how meta that was. Then I tried to get out of it for real by trying to track the stars like they did in that book I read when I was a kid (who the hell knows which one - The Little Prince? The Boy Scouts handbook I stole from my brother?...) I didn't even notice the fact that I hadn't even gone 15 yards in and had just been walking around in a pathetic, panicky circle for hours in a daydreamy daze and hadn't noticed the many clearly marked signs designating the way back to the trail. Yeah, Ne+Ti, ftw?
    Wow, that is intense.

I mean I will have moments like that, sometimes, but I think it is far more conscious, practical- like, 'okay, what if there was a wreck and I needed to fend for myself and kill a bear, what would I do?' And then I will observe my surroundings and think about it. Typically, however, after a little while I think, "meh. If it happens- and chances are seriously unlikely- I'll figure it out when the time comes."

Usually on a hike I'll be primarily getting stoked on noticing a bird singing up in a tree or how the bark feels on my hand or how my breathing gets into this rhythm or I'll make sure not to step on a spider who's crossing the path. I'll also do a bit of the Ni description you had for the forest, too. But I try not to because then I get all pissed about stupid developers and their greed, etc, and I didn't go on this hike to get pissed off. But there will be the positive aspects of Ni as well- the Se is just far more prominent.