User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. #21
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    Australian culture might feature more activities and norms that happen to be more common among ESXPs in cultures in which those are rarer, without the people themselves being more often ESXP. Cultural differences probably develop for reasons other than type demographics.

    Surfing for example. In Northern Europe, the overwhelming majority of people who've ever tried surfing will be SPs, because it will be something they'll have had to have made much more of an effort to make happen, and have liked the idea of so much that they tolerated the unfavourable conditions. Along the Australian coast, it's going to be such a common pastime to have tried that the SP correlation will be weakened, but outsiders may still perceive it as SP behaviour.

    The same may be true for standards of dress (Australians more often wear shorts and go outside bare-footed) and communication styles (more direct and blunt). In other cultures these behaviours would be attributed to certain personality traits but they may be more common in Australia for unrelated reasons.

    People in Yemen probably perceive Western European and North American cultures as ESXP cultures because people here commonly behave in ways (pre-marital sex, drinking etc.) which in their country would be more often undertaken by the most sensation-seeking and risk-taking people. Relatively speaking, our cultures probably are more ESXP for that reason, but that doesn't mean the individuals within them are more often ESXP than the individuals in Yemen.
    I more or less agree with this, but as mean as it is to say, the Aussies I've met over here (with a very few, very noteworthy exceptions) just seem like sheep. They follow the crowd like you wouldn't believe. They follow each other across the world, and only bother when they've arrived on the other side of the world to be friends with the friends they already had, or friends of friends, or other people from the Southern Hemisphere (or Scandinavia, it seems), or people who fall into none of these categories but manage to put up a very good imitation of it.

    It just seems like the most conformist/non-individual culture. Maybe I would have a different impression if I was in Australia...I don't know. (I did visit several years ago, but it was only a short visit). I've had much the same impression of Kiwis and Saffas, actually.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  2. #22
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    INFPs are the third highest type of women? How is that possible? A nation of introverted women, apparently...
    I find this hard to believe also. A population simply doesn't need a lot of INFPs. Nothing practical is going to get done
    The fact that S and N have a relatively narrow gap seems suspicious also, for the same reason.

    I have a feeling a LOT of people tested the wrong type. We all know how accurate some MBTI tests can be.....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  3. #23
    Pumpernickel
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,960

    Default

    I think that the divide between T and F for men is kind of hilarious (and obviously not right)

  4. #24
    Senior Member Bushranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I more or less agree with this, but as mean as it is to say, the Aussies I've met over here (with a very few, very noteworthy exceptions) just seem like sheep. They follow the crowd like you wouldn't believe. They follow each other across the world, and only bother when they've arrived on the other side of the world to be friends with the friends they already had, or friends of friends, or other people from the Southern Hemisphere (or Scandinavia, it seems), or people who fall into none of these categories but manage to put up a very good imitation of it.

    It just seems like the most conformist/non-individual culture. Maybe I would have a different impression if I was in Australia...I don't know. (I did visit several years ago, but it was only a short visit). I've had much the same impression of Kiwis and Saffas, actually.
    You are talking about a self selected group, any impression you get from them will be skewed.

    Also keep in mind that even individualists can be considered sheeplike if individualism is the predominant paradigm of their culture.
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little hermit crab too!

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phinny5608 View Post
    Agreed. Notice the top 8 for guys are ALL 'T' types. And 6 out of the 8 top female ones are 'F'. Sounds like people answered the way they thought they should.
    Or its a known fact that the T/F is strongly related to gender?

  6. #26
    Senior Member JivinJeffJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,698

    Default

    A lot of NT guys there. But then again, it was started as a penal colony. I imagine it would've been hard to keep out of jail as an NT in the 1700s.

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I find this hard to believe also. A population simply doesn't need a lot of INFPs. Nothing practical is going to get done
    It's Australia . That's the idea.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

  8. #28
    Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    446

    Default

    While the Archive still reflects that
    the majority of people who take the MBTI come from
    managerial and professional groups, recent additions
    have tended to compensate with some sizeable numbers
    in less-skilled categories of the Australian Standard
    Classification of Occupations (ASCO 2e).
    The material below comes from MBTI Form G profiles
    contributed by MBTI practitioners across Australia.


    Doesn't sound like a very random sample.

    It's the extrovert/introvert ratio that's the most atypical, isn't it?

  9. #29
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    While the Archive still reflects that
    the majority of people who take the MBTI come from
    managerial and professional groups, recent additions
    have tended to compensate with some sizeable numbers
    in less-skilled categories of the Australian Standard
    Classification of Occupations (ASCO 2e).
    The material below comes from MBTI Form G profiles
    contributed by MBTI practitioners across Australia.


    Doesn't sound like a very random sample.

    It's the extrovert/introvert ratio that's the most atypical, isn't it?
    I would definitely question the sample, considering.

    However, in the United States apparently introverts were dominant, and that's kind of contrary, so... *shrug*
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] MBTI Type Percentages
    By Verona in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-19-2016, 12:39 AM
  2. No Type
    By paulwhy in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2015, 09:01 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Percentages of type in the overall population
    By highlander in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-23-2014, 08:48 AM
  4. Personal friends type percentages
    By Argus in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-10-2009, 06:39 PM
  5. [NF] What sort of topics are NF type topics?
    By Alienclock in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 09:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO