User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    It's funny because I think of the stereotypical Australian as ESTP or ESFP.
    Maybe how the outside perceives the country due to a certain ESXP guy...

Having met loads of Australians (in general happy-go-lucky guys who are in their own words "so relaxed they are almost horizontal") and having been to parties in Australia (loads of booze, noise, craziness and generally very sensory behaviour) I would also agree with the ESxP stereotype, to me an Australian is the quintessential dude.

I remember spending New Year's eve in Sydney with this group of Asian (Chinese, Malaysian etc) students. We were standing on a tall building in Darling Harbour waiting for midnight and for the fireworks to start. Next to us on the roof was a party going on and most of the guests seemed to be Australians. While my group was rather understated and well-behaved (we had some alcohol but no one went crazy or anything) the Australian group next to us went bonkers, one girl got punched by a guy in the face, girls were mooning and in general behaved like drunk lads, the whole thing was rather noisy and boisterous and of course a lot of alcohol was involved. That made me think right there: "Well there is obviously a cultural difference here."

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

About half of Australian men think they are TJs. Have you guys in Australia observed this, too, contradicting the ES_P image?
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-10-2009 at 11:01 AM. Reason: addressing the ES_P question
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

brainheart

INFPs are the third highest type of women? How is that possible? A nation of introverted women, apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    About half of Australian men think they are TJs. Have you guys in Australia observed this, too, contradicting the ES_P image?
    The image is false, these stats seem correct to me.

Put alcohol into a TJ and see what happens

Steve Irwin doesn't = Australia

Visit Australia DON'T party and meet the real people, bunch of fu*king SJs just like everywhere else in this world

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Yup. In fact, from my experience of Aussies I would have a very hard time believing that the dominant types (or very nearly the dominant types) aren't ESTP and ESFP. Either that, or they are hiding their real types EXTREMELY well. At least, that's based on my experience of the ones I've met in London...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I'll bet my bottom dollar a lot of the guys were lying. "What would me mates think!"
    Agreed. Notice the top 8 for guys are ALL 'T' types. And 6 out of the 8 top female ones are 'F'. Sounds like people answered the way they thought they should.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Australian culture might feature more activities and norms that happen to be more common among ESXPs in cultures in which those are rarer, without the people themselves being more often ESXP. Cultural differences probably develop for reasons other than type demographics.

Surfing for example. In Northern Europe, the overwhelming majority of people who've ever tried surfing will be SPs, because it will be something they'll have had to have made much more of an effort to make happen, and have liked the idea of so much that they tolerated the unfavourable conditions. Along the Australian coast, it's going to be such a common pastime to have tried that the SP correlation will be weakened, but outsiders may still perceive it as SP behaviour.

The same may be true for standards of dress (Australians more often wear shorts and go outside bare-footed) and communication styles (more direct and blunt). In other cultures these behaviours would be attributed to certain personality traits but they may be more common in Australia for unrelated reasons.

People in Yemen probably perceive Western European and North American cultures as ESXP cultures because people here commonly behave in ways (pre-marital sex, drinking etc.) which in their country would be more often undertaken by the most sensation-seeking and risk-taking people. Relatively speaking, our cultures probably are more ESXP for that reason, but that doesn't mean the individuals within them are more often ESXP than the individuals in Yemen.

I agree with the stats. I know lots of INTJs, and they actually fit in quite well as one of the Aussie clichÚs. I meet ENFP guys very rarely. Always remember it when I do though.

What type are the ones in the Holdens and Fords who always drive a few centimetres off my bumper while there is a lane free next to them? I'm guessing they're not ENxP. Figuring out that there is a path around a vehicle as well as through it is quite easy with Ne. Anyway there is lots of them.
    Freude, sch├Âner G├Âtterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Br├╝der, Wo dein sanfter Fl├╝gel weilt.

MBTI
    INFP

Really? In Australia, introverts have a slight edge among men, while extroverts a slight edge among women... Kinda strange!