• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Calling all INTJs, INFJs, ENTJs, ENFJs, ISFPs, ISTPS, ESFPs, ESTPs...

VagrantFarce

...describe Introverted Intuition in your own words and from your own perspective, and why it differs from Extraverted Intuition. :)

Thank you!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
fishsticks with potatoes and mustard sauce

or

Watch Out a car on rails ! A what ? *BONK*

bcvcdc

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTx
I really couldn't tell you. I don't have intuition, sadly.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I make abstract connections about the problem at hand, things around me, what I am hearing/seeing/smelling/touching/tasting in the here and now.

By no means am I limited by that which is immediately before regarding the range of potential I have to pull from when solving a problem, working, etc.

It is just that my prime directive, my immediate charge with utmost persistence is to have mastery of my surroundings and to be able to exert my will on them as I deem necessary, so Se compels me to constantly scan and churn up information from prior experience that will be useful in my current endeavor.

The introverted intuition part is a background process, but it is not totally ignored.

I hope that makes some sense. :doh:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Daydreaming about the possibilities of everything that could happen. Seeing the beautiful world of our own. When we do something and we don't realise we were doing because we're deep in thought until we finish it. When we are thinking about the future and how what we are doing now would affect it.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
...describe Introverted Intuition in your own words and from your own perspective,

A bunch of paranoid bunk.

and why it differs from Extraverted Intuition. :)

Um..it's quiet paranoid bunk?

Thank you!

You're welcome!

** Disclaimer: None of the above words are actually "my own." I didn't invent or purchase any of them.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a pretty good grasp of how the future will develop around the current situation or the things that matter to me. This is only really triggered if I see a problem with how things are right now (relief use of tertiary function), if I do then I will think of how things could develop in the future. This is also triggered if I'm being particularly careful about the situation at hand, if I want to make no mistakes I will try to cover all of the bases of the things that could happen.

As a stressor role (tertiary is a stressor when negative), when I have an incomplete "picture" of a situation in my head, then I will try to figure out what the situation implies. This is often very negative and confusing, I will try to figure out how the future may develop, but I don't have enough information to figure it out, so I will just sit there brooding until I get some concrete proof.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cliches aside, the "transform yourself in a specific way by focusing on another version of yourself"-part really fits me, and describes my Ni well. Imagining a possible future helps me a lot in moving things in the desired direction.

Also, I've started listening to my dreams, and they give me more hints than ever before.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it comes out in certain situations pretty strong when I get a sixth sense or immediate gut feeling about what's right in front of me or what is going to happen in a certain situation. It doesn't happen often but when it does I listen to it because it's usually right.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Hmm when I am making decisions, the thought of what will happen for various alternatives pops up uncontrollably

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
OH OH, and also when people ask you how you came to that conclusion, when you're absentmindedly saying stuff, and youre like.. oh, I don't even know, it just came to me. But it turns out to be right. But people think you are being an asshole for just saying stuff and not having any backup for it. But Ni just knows stuff, you know?!

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

While I can relate to most of those, I strongly relate to these:
- "experience a premonition or foresee the unexpected " : These moments always happen unexpectedly, but they're not all that rare at the same time. Usually happens along with the one below... it just clicks into place.
- "suddenly realize an 'ah ha!' answer out of nowhere "
- "feel pulled to the symbolic, archetypal or mysterious " : I've always been drawn to unexpected things... dreams, symbols, archetypes, etc. Sometimes people feel it's contradicting to put credit on these things when you're such a realist... but I don't really care. :p
- "layout how the future will unfold based on unseen trends and telling signs " and "feel certain that future changes will unfold in a foreseen way " : Used with the first one and the one above...my subconcious is constantly collecting a ton of data and some of it's interpreted into symbols. After enough of these "signs", my intuition becomes suspicious that something is about to happen. That ranges from really specific, like meeting someone and knowing what our relationship will be like a year from now, to vague such as: "Crap... gotta prepare myself. Something bad is about to happen." Since it is only my third function, I don't trust these hunches as well as I'd like to... that's why I say "suspicious."
- "rely on a focal device or symbolic action to predict, enlighten or transform " : I use certain symbols and objects as a means to keep myself grounded and motivate myself.
- "deliberately pick a specific problem to sleep on and awaken with the full answer " : This is the worst. I never sleep well on these nights. They're somewhat frequent. And sometimes it's not even really deliberate.

Bottom line: I love my Ni. It may not be as efficient as NJs'... but I feel like it still plays a huge part in how I think and who I am. They say that your third function is something you're drawn to in you 20's and are fascinated by. It also is the function you seem most playful and childlike when using. I'd say that's fairly accurate. I get excited and giddy when I use it sometimes, especially in the "aha!" moments. Other times, when Ni makes me lock onto an intense scenario that I feel will play out in the near future, I become more serious and withdrawn. I rarely share my insights.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems you're actually more adept at using Ni than me.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- "experience a premonition or foresee the unexpected " : These moments always happen unexpectedly, but they're not all that rare at the same time. Usually happens along with the one below... it just clicks into place.
- "feel pulled to the symbolic, archetypal or mysterious " : I've always been drawn to unexpected things... dreams, symbols, archetypes, etc. Sometimes people feel it's contradicting to put credit on these things when you're such a realist... but I don't really care. :p
- "layout how the future will unfold based on unseen trends and telling signs " and "feel certain that future changes will unfold in a foreseen way " : Used with the first one and the one above...my subconcious is constantly collecting a ton of data and some of it's interpreted into symbols. After enough of these "signs", my intuition becomes suspicious that something is about to happen. That ranges from really specific, like meeting someone and knowing what our relationship will be like a year from now, to vague such as: "Crap... gotta prepare myself. Something bad is about to happen." Since it is only my third function, I don't trust these hunches as well as I'd like to... that's why I say "suspicious."
- "rely on a focal device or symbolic action to predict, enlighten or transform " : I use certain symbols and objects as a means to keep myself grounded and motivate myself.
- "deliberately pick a specific problem to sleep on and awaken with the full answer " : This is the worst. I never sleep well on these nights. They're somewhat frequent. And sometimes it's not even really deliberate.

Bottom line: I love my Ni. It may not be as efficient as NJs'... but I feel like it still plays a huge part in how I think and who I am. They say that your third function is something you're drawn to in you 20's and are fascinated by. It also is the function you seem most playful and childlike when using. I'd say that's fairly accurate. I get excited and giddy when I use it sometimes, especially in the "aha!" moments. Other times, when Ni makes me lock onto an intense scenario that I feel will play out in the near future, I become more serious and withdrawn. I rarely share my insights.

I practically could have made this post myself. Nice!

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ

I use to have many deja vu and dreams that came true when I was a child (is it the same thing?). And like you, rarely shared them.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It seems you're actually more adept at using Ni than me.

How so? Do you think it's possible that because you use it so much that you're not as aware of it? My Ti can be like that sometimes. Ni, on the other hand, is something I'm a lot more aware of simply because it results in a very different way of thinking than normal.

And I'm glad there are other ISPs that use Ni a lot!

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How so? Do you think it's possible that because you use it so much that you're not as aware of it?

No, it's just that I've tried to ignore it because of personal reasons. Te was more help earlier in my life, that is about to change though.

And, to be honest, I find most people really unpredictable and confusing, which doesn't help me in my 'quest' to master Ni.