User Tag List

12 Last

Default Honestly changing your trait scores for Five Factor Model

I know we had a thread about MBTI types and changing, but what about our Five Factors.

It seems like the model posits a best type, or at least good types versus bad. Since they actually consider certain trait constellations "well-adjusted", I am wondering how to do the adjusting.

I think my level of Openness is about where I want it to be. This factor seem trivial to change too.

I would like to be moderately to highly Contentious. Enough stability to have others let me be the way I am and allow me to achieve my goals. This is the biggest thing I would like to change.

I would like to be moderately Extroverted. Enough to be fairly charismatic.

I would like to be moderately Agreeable. Enough for people to like who I really am.

I would like to be very low on Neuroticism. The reasons should be obvious.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I would like to be moderately to highly Contentious.
    I can teach you that.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I suppose the large question in this and other similar threads is, what exactly is a change in "intrinsic personality" (if there's such a thing as that) -- the basic "wiring" of a person -- versus simple behavior modification where one learns to cope with one's weaknesses and improve one's ability to cope/behavior positively in situations that naturally frustrate a person.

I definitely see instances where people who are not very disciplined or have little need for closure learn to develop it, because it helps them be more effective people... but in general their basic wiring is still anti-closure. They just have the behavior under conscious control, even if their inclinations would push them in another direction, and eventually they can act more at ease in the "unnatural" behavior.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

wanted a power-up of..
    +20 points conscientiousness
    Enables the person to finish tasks on time and to do hard work and to earn money.

Extraversion: flexible at will from 20 to 99%, given right circumstances and time to adapt. Optimum point for me might be at 85-90%. Lack of people to care about, that's what keeps it at 55% at the moment. Lack of money limits the choice of hobbies, too.

Neuroticism. I think it was about 15%, with only significant non-zero component at depression, which was at 53%. I want it away. My happiness is sadly tied in to my accomplishments and results at the moment, I'm not happy for myself at the moment. This perpetuates the low C and depression combination. I don't think to be "compensatory narcistic" (about 20% of symptoms match), but rather that I am afraid (and see it all the time) that lack of good job and money will provide me with inadequate stimulus to feed my need stemming from high natural E.

Agreeableness: very low and fine where it stays. Given better social environment, I would start to appreciate and care about people's feelings more, which would raise my score.

Wow, this was a good practice to do. Now I'll go plan how to do a multi-approach solution to get me where I want to be.. ;P

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I think most parameters are fine the way they are right now. If I were able to lower my extraversion it would be a plus, since it'd probably make easier to study in a more focussed fashion, but the downside of lessened sociability and energy level doesn't seem to be worth the trouble.

I would like to see if conscientiousness scores are environment-dependent. For example, my conscientiousness in school-related matters is lower than in work-related, simply because the first does not have a sufficiently certain monetary equivalent.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I would like to be moderately Extroverted. Enough to be fairly charismatic.
    I don't see what being charismatic has to do with being introvert or extravert.

I have no clue what Five Factors is, but I dislike the idea of seeing certain traits as good or bad. Or well-adjusted vs. unadjusted etc. That sounds like something that measures ones level of conformity rather than anything else.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I don't see what being charismatic has to do with being introvert or extravert.

I have no clue what Five Factors is, but I dislike the idea of seeing certain traits as good or bad. Or well-adjusted vs. unadjusted etc. That sounds like something that measures ones level of conformity rather than anything else.
    I think neuroticism is the only one that has a real positive(negative) connotation, mostly for the test-take rather than for anybody else. (a curious combination would be one of high N and high A)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I think neuroticism is the only one that has a real positive(negative) connotation, mostly for the test-take rather than for anybody else. (a curious combination would be one of high N and high A)
    I see. I'd have to agree that neuroticism is not something favorable.

So where exactly can I take this test ?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I see. I'd have to agree that neuroticism is not something favorable.

So where exactly can I take this test ?
    You can take this one here for free;

Personality Test Center - IPIP NEO five factor model of personality

(It's one generation out of date, but... free!)

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I can teach you that.
    Well, I actually want to learn.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield