User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I think neuroticism is the only one that has a real positive(negative) connotation, mostly for the test-take rather than for anybody else. (a curious combination would be one of high N and high A)
    N+ and A+ isn't that unusual. Those are the ones that fret about what people think about them (whereas N+ and A- tends to fret about what's going to happen). Likewise, the N- and A+ are the ones that are the friendly but calm ones (the ones we go to for advice etc) and N- and T- are the ones that react to situations calmly but objectively (the ones that can have the house burning around them and still not get emotionall caught up/panic).

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Well, I actually want to learn.
    ... You do realize you substituted 'contentious' for 'conscientious', right?

MBTI
    GONE

Default You can paint it over, but it's still a crap car

"I suppose the large question in this and other similar threads is, what exactly is a change in "intrinsic personality" (if there's such a thing as that) -- the basic "wiring" of a person -- versus simple behavior modification where one learns to cope with one's weaknesses and improve one's ability to cope/behavior positively in situations that naturally frustrate a person."

EXACTLY! I have been trying to word it clearly myself.

I think the E/I is the easiest to mask and change BEHAVIORALLY. But does that mean you switch your wiring and you used to get energy and sustenance from your solo pursuits and now suddenly you are energized by being with others?

It reminds me of the 'army' question and how the army molds everyone to be _STJ's. After years of civilian life or active 'deprogramming' -- do you ever "revert" to your "natural" personality or did your actual wiring get changed or are you so behaviorally changed that it's a moot point?

What do you call someone who's wires have been crossed, being a specific personality type but having been pushed into the wrong fit?

This also reminds me of why I say I like COGNITIVE therapy which really starts from the outside in, modifying and correcting problem behaviors. Popular opinion says that changing behavior requires not only self-awares and outer awareness but eventually requires you to work deep backwards to find and fix the thought processes which causethe behavior -- basically get to the "root" problem. Except the beauty of cognitive therapy is that once the behaviors are modified, that's it. What root problem? If it doesn't manifest, you have none. You don't need to sit on a therapists couch and spill your guts for an hour every week for years. Once you fix the behavior, that's it.

But, does that really mean you've "fixed" the problem?

Like an alcoholic is always an alcoholic regardless of if they never drink again.

I'm ramblign now in NFP fashion, but hopefully you get the drift...

MBTI
    INTP

Conscientiousness in not a feeling?
    Think about that!

Our society is so neurotic with the all-pervading disease that C is even considered a virtue.

Conscientiousness surely is but a branch of N (neuroticism).

I must.. I have to... What time is it.. What the dear people now think of me if I do not finish this noble project on time... I must not upset the dear people..

Bla bla bla.

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    ... You do realize you substituted 'contentious' for 'conscientious', right?
    Not till now. Somehow that was something I missed even when highlighted.
    I already know how to be contentious, thanks.

But I would like to be more conscientious.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Conscientiousness in not a feeling?
    Think about that!

Our society is so neurotic with the all-pervading disease that C is even considered a virtue.

Conscientiousness surely is but a branch of N (neuroticism).

I must.. I have to... What time is it.. What the dear people now think of me if I do not finish this noble project on time... I must not upset the dear people..
    Ya i agree with you for a large part