User Tag List

First 12

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by ps646566 View Post
    Nevertheless I would still condemn those who love to wallow in the politics when it is (a) offensive rather than defensive -- ie designed to get one over on others for advantage, rather than just to survive, or (b) involves acting in a way which is damaging to the organisation.
    It's really hard to find a balance between loyalty to yourself and loyalty to an organization. Most companies don't inspire those kind of feelings in their employees so the employee is left to fend for themselves. I guess I just don't blame people for some types of shady behavior anymore. I don't think it's right, but what other options do they have? People that are honest get screwed over. Sometimes when I'm hanging out with my coworkers I think to myself, should I be this friendly with this person? They're my competition. It makes me very confused.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    It's really hard to find a balance between loyalty to yourself and loyalty to an organization. Most companies don't inspire those kind of feelings in their employees so the employee is left to fend for themselves. I guess I just don't blame people for some types of shady behavior anymore. I don't think it's right, but what other options do they have? People that are honest get screwed over. Sometimes when I'm hanging out with my coworkers I think to myself, should I be this friendly with this person? They're my competition. It makes me very confused.
    Again a lot of sense and truth in what you say. These days many, if not most employers, do not inspire much loyalty so cannot expect too much back. But unless you are one of those fortunate enough to be able to walk straight into another job on the same money, then you need your employer and, even from a selfish point of view, you need him to stay in business and make money/receive adequate funding etc. People who are honest do often get screwed over, but countering that I would describe as 'defensive' political activity which cannot be reasonably criticised, as long as it is proportionate. Should you be friendly to co-workers who represent your competition in the career stakes ? Yes, if you want to be a decent person who lives their life with some degree of integrity. But if you know for a fact that some are trying to gain an unfair advantage by what you describe as 'shady behaviour', then you have the right to treat them in any way that you see fit.
    INTJ bordering on ISTJ