User Tag List

12 Last

ThatGirl

Default NT/NF: Probability vs Possibility?

(EDIT: Let's try again! ~ Jennifer)

NT/NF vs Probability/Possibility

How does it relate?

Go!
    Last edited by Bellflower; 11-04-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: first thread was a bust, maybe this one'll get more mileage.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

My guess is that NFs focus on possibility, while NTs focus on probability.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    To OP:

My guess is that NFs focus on possibility, while NTs focus on probability.

To ongoing thread joke:

She lost her real asshole, so she had a new asshole made out of thread, and she has a message woven into it. She wants us to read it, because she can't see back there, and can't figure out how to read stuff backwards in the mirror.
    I focus on probability quite a lot. Does that make me an NT?
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    I focus on probability quite a lot. Does that make me an NT?
    Maybe. But that would be very general, of course. Remember that it includes 4 different NF types, half of which are NFPs.

You could just be an exception to the rule. Can't make a generalization like that without having a few exceptions come up.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

It's more about the nature of probability, probability itself is just a mere instrument.

You can say for example: his behaviour will lead to his demise. But basing it on, not to all participants visible facts. And then you can say: I am 75% sure it will.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    It's more about the nature of probability, probability itself is just a mere instrument.

You can say for example: his behaviour will lead to his demise. But basing it on, not to all participants visible facts. And then you can say: I am 75% sure it will.
    With THAT description, then yeah, I guess I'm more NF than NT according to Athenian's description. I focus less on the actual values of the probably rather than which possibility is more favorable: 'So X is less likely than Y but rewards better, but if I look at it, Y, on average, is better.'

I'm an NF that's good at mental math, but not anything more complex than a variable. Throw a square root in there or a negative exponent as a denominator and I collapse twitching.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Obviously all people are capable of both, but is there any patterns or experiences in which this particular constrast of focus exists or where it might play out?

For example, in a relationship I'm in with an INFP, we've had this very discussion. There are things that I think might be deal-breakers in the future, but he wants to try anyway... and the whole thing could be boiled down in a nutshell to him being focused on the possibilities ("This could happen, and it feels so right") and I'm looking at probabilities ("Yes, we do mesh like you say, but the deal breakers are bad enough that probability-wise, i don't think it's likely.") We've almost used the exact words probability/possibility here.

He is far more inclined to "try anyway" because it "should work since it's so right" and I'm less inclined to try because even though i can see what he believes so firmly in, I also see it as probably dissipating.

I guess for him he is being true to himself by chasing this vision that feels right to him. The probability doesn't matter as much as the possibility and that it aligns with how we "connect." For me, the truth is just the hard reality and no matter how hard I try or how well we connect, there are constraints that cannot be modified and hence chances aren't so hot. Possibility is not probability, and while I am very aware of possibility, the probability of something really overrides the possibilities.

... so... any ideas how this occurs due to functional analysis or any other thoughts?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Ni is usually associated with probability, and Ne with possibilities. Ni is about underlying cause and effect relationships; a focus on what this situation is really the result of and what this action will result in. Ne is about the inward potential or possibilities of a person/thing/etc.
    INTP | IEI - INFp

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
    Ni is usually associated with probability, and Ne with possibilities.
    So then here is my question: Why the differentiation between N functions? Wouldn't N be "possibility" and S "probability" if we wanted to go that route?

Ni is all about infinite numbers of frameworks and ways to view a situation, Ne is all about infinite ways to springboard and connect seemingly disparate points. Neither seems to be much about "probability," in order to discuss probability you have to access a judging function (T or F) to evaluate the possibilities (since possibilities are perceived).

EDIT: Just saw your edit... still thinking about that.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So then here is my question: Why the differentiation between N functions? Wouldn't N be "possibility" and S "probability" if we wanted to go that route?
    What do you mean? Ni and Si are dynamic, irrational elements, whereas Se and Ne are static, irrational elements.

Ni: Underlying cause and effect relationships; a focus on what this situation is really the result of and what this action will result in.
    Si: Immediately apparent cause and effect relationships; how events affect one's inner state; sensations, what one experiences physically.

Ne: The inward potential or possibilities of a person/thing/etc.
    Se: The outward characteristics of a person/thing/etc.; form, shape, strength, power, readiness, willpower, mobilization, the location of objects in space

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Ni is all about infinite numbers of frameworks and ways to view a situation.
    Sounds like your describing Ti.
    INTP | IEI - INFp