• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How is this as "Type for Dummies"?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Temperament Part 2: The MBTI's 16 types and Cognitive Functions

This was the second part of my series on temperament. Part 1 dealt with the APS system, and then, part 2 was how it fit with MBTI. Yet I had kept adding more and more advanced info to it, as I myself learned more about the theory, and stuff like the archetypes; and basically got carried away with it. Jennifer and others showed some interest last year, and said they printed it out, and I remember it was like 100 pages (sorry guys!) I then came out with a shorter version, but it seems like people had seen enough. More recently, I realized that my whole premise was "for dummies", but it was too much advanced stuff, and mostly my own brainstorms about the theories and recounting how I learned them and discovered my correlation between them.
In finally grasping Beebe's model, and thinking of new ways to offer more concise descriptions of things, I decided just over a day (yesterday) to redo the page, and split off all the other stuff onto a separate page called "Evolving the MBTI-APS Correlation", which has now moved to "temperament2a.html".

So in this new essay, I start with the "input/output" analogy as the basic descriptions of the four functions. Then, starting with Personality Page's suggestion that the first and last letters are the first to develop in a young child, I build up the type code and function from scratch, showing how it eventually "fans out" into the eight function attitudes, with the archetype complexes. Trying to make it a smoothly flowing progression. I also cite short descriptors of the 8 functions (hope this doesn;t interrupt the flow), and finish with the temperament and Interaction Styles. All at only 58 KB now, down from over 300 in the old page!

So I just wanted to know if others thought this was a more clear and understandable way to introduce type theory. For those who are familiar with it, is it followable, and for those who are not, does it help you understand it all?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's very follower, and it makes a lot of sense.

It's much better than the one that focused on the temperaments that I read. It's organized, and it doesn't seem random in what's in what section.

I really like how you put Fi. Thank god you didn't describe it as "Having intensely felt values that the person sticks to no matter what" with no further explanation, the way you put it is pretty much how it is in reality.

Thumbs up. I won't be able to read it until tomorrow, but from what I've glanced over it looks great. :nice:

Maybe I'll be able to get a hold on this APS system.

There is a typo.

ISTP: SeTi

ISFP: SeFi

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks (What's "follower" as an adjective?)

Yeah, many descriptions of Fi (including from some of the published "experts") are confusing, which is what made it hard to me to determine what exactly it was, and where it actually fit in my consciousness. (I should add, that the ego will have an emotional investment in whichever it's dominant function is). It's good to break it down to the root defefinitions. Many "general" descriptions get mixed up in stereotypes.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Especially like this part. I'd seen something similar mentioned before but never the theory.

Perception deals in the components of the matrix

Sensing is portrayed as dealing with objects ("physical"; including people, events, etc), or what things ARE. They are portrayed as dots at the intersections of the grids

iNtuition is basically what things DO, or how they work, move ("motion"), etc. Hence, the grid becomes abstract (dotted lines) with no objects shown

Extraversion covers the entire matrix, or "wide area" Introversion covers a "local area"; perhaps a single object, or its immediate area.

So Introverted Sensing will focus on a particular object and the sensory information incorporated into a localized matrix area. This will end up most dependent on a familiar and stable environment.

Extraverted Sensing deals with objects in a wide matrix area, and hence, awareness of the immediate physical environment, and the enjoyment of sensory stimuli and living in the present.

Introverted Intuition: how things work/move in a localized matrix area. So it's more into the abstract principles that underlie a given event, not in the event itself.

Extraverted Intuition how things work/move in a wide matrix area. Conceptualizes within the overall picture, and thus immediately aware of all the possibilities suggested by a particular situation.

Judging deals in the connections within the matrix

Feeling is holistic, establishing between multiple objects throughout the matrix. It maintains the integrity of these wide connections and not just the immediate structure. This will lead the feeler to be concerned more with people than things, and a broader perspective. So in the diagrams, you see a section of the matrix enclosed in a circle.

Thinking is linear, based on specific properties. So actions will only have to maintain the immediate matrix structure, and disregard all that is not directly related to the decision at hand. In the diagrams, you see the intersections of the grid (with or without concrete objects) with connecting lines making a path.

To understand how "holistic" equated to feeling, the key is in the word "harmony". Feeling provides a sense of how the world should be, with non-technical criteria, and hence, the association with emotions and attachment. Thinking deals in the technical connections, detached from any other consideration.

The attitude of the judging functions is determined by the perception attitude it is paired with (which of course is the opposite attitude). So extraverted Thinking and Feeling deal with local area matrices (not wide area, as you might assume), and introverted Thinking and Feeling deal with the wide area matrix.

This makes perfect sense. It explains why introverted judgments deal in universals, as well as the subjective factor. Universals are represented by the wide area matrix. The local area matrix is the "external" immediate environment the extraverted judgments deal in.

I thought if it in terms of anchoring. With Je, you anchor yourself to the local area, such as a group, organization, the immediate area, etc. With Ji, you cannot anchor yourself to the entire matrix (all of reality, or the universe). So you are basically anchored in yourself, so to speak. Like if you're piloting a ship at sea on the earth, you can drop anchor, and it will land on the solid surface under the water. Yet, if you're in space, you cannot drop anchor anywhere. According to Relativity, every object is basically it's own "at rest" inertial frame of reference. Hence, Ji dealing with subjective and universal things, and Je dealing with local externals.

So introverted Feeling is holistic relationships over a wide area matrix. Universal and personal values and a desire of overall harmony in the overall environment.

Extraverted Feeling: holistic web of connections within localized area: group, family, community, etc.

Introverted Thinking: linear connections suggested by overall external elements. It's not interested in the external situation, but any [universal or internal] understanding it may bring.

Extraverted Thinking: linear connections within a localized matrix area. Hence, bringing order into specific aspects of life such as a particular organization or institution.

Bruzon also maps the functions to the brain hemispheres like Lenore Thomson.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
A visual representation of the above would be pretty cool and informative.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's from Mark Bruzon's site, which was linked right above what you quoted. It has the visual illustrations, which I was describing there:

Fundamental Nature of the MBTI

I've also reworked the other pages. 2a, once again, is Evolving the Correlation, with an index that has all of my ideas for type theory and more detailed explanations of how things work and compare. (Again, hard to believe I had packed all that stuff on what was the "main" type theory page and expected everyone to read all of it:blushing:). The comparisons of APS to Enneagram, Type A and others, with the table comparing all of the systems is now on part 3, and the "Dynamic Type" ideas (including jackandthebeast's colorful function lineups for the 76 types) is now on a 4th page, dynamictypes.html.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Thank. I will save and read it on my next train trip when I am more focused than I am today. :)