User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Default Science: Better for Ne/Ti or Ni/Te??

It seems like a lot of ground-breaking scientists are/were NTPs (Einstein, Feynman, Tesla, Da Vinci, maybe Newton??), but as a prospective scientist, it also seems to me like many of the people by whom I'm surrounded are IxTJs. I've lately been thinking that my abilities in science are incomparable to Ni/Te-based skills, but then again, I also feel like I'm the one who could actually come up with something interesting to do in my field if I would just focus more on the fine details that are necessary for understanding what has already been done.

I'm interested in hearing about how you guys think the functions correlate to particular subsets of skills that are preferrable to making somebody a good scientist (I'll try and define what I mean by good scientist if it turns out that term is too vague, but hopefully people can infer). Is research an ideal field for NTPs, or do we need something that allows for more creativity? Can research allow for the creativite outlet that NTPs so desire? Thoughts? Remarks?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

In the most basic sense, I think:

Ne+Ti is best for scientific exploration per se, it tends to springboard off everything and see new opportunities for where data is leading. Science is like a large unexplored island and the Ne/Ti person is searching everything and pushing on everything to the max in order to understand it.

Ni+ Te is best for having one's internal personal vision and then pushing forward on it to the bitter end to reach a predetermined goal. Science is more of a tool to accomplish a goal.

NiTe will probably be more methodical in pursuit of developing the insight.
    NeTi is exploring in order to DISCOVER the insights and sort of leaps all over at once.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Lots of IxTJs in the lab where I work...

I wouldn't say either Ne or Ni has the advantage in research, but being N dominant sure helps (I know Ne gets stereotyped as beng the innovator, but I wouldn't say the ENTPs have an easier time with thinking up ideas than the INTJs do, and N dominants I know are proficient with both Ni and Ne). Typical research seems to work well for introverts and judgers. It isn't actually very exciting, depending on the kind of research and the resources available. And it can get to be extremely monotonous. I work in biotech research and the majority of the time I'm setting up experiments that go wrong for one reason or another, reading grant proposals, or collecting data. It's fun when trying to think of new ways to go about projects or having the occasional eureka moment though.

MBTI
    ISFJ

It depends on what kind of science. What kind of project. What kind of function within said project.

Exploring breakthrough theories seems more NeTi.

Observations, measurements, research and calculated progress seems more NiTe.

MBTI
    INTP

There is a lot of room within science for any of the types. I am a graduate student in chemistry. I wouldn't say any one type does better than another, because no matter what your type, you are going to use some skills that come naturally and some skills that don't come naturally.

For example, as an IxTP I enjoy reading the literature and coming up with ideas that I can test down the road. I also enjoy teaching, and actual lab work. However I am not so good at planning -- experiment design is difficult for me, as is predicting where my career is headed. You also have to network a lot, and sell your work, both f2f (the dreaded "elevator sell"), in the form of posters and presentations, and on paper in the form of publications, theses, grant proposals, etc.

Of course it also depends on what level you're talking about. If you're looking to just become a lab tech or lower-level scientist, that's a totally different story.

Intelligence is also a major factor.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Ne+Ti is best for pearl diving
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

N is poison for science, S all the way.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    N is poison for science, S all the way.
    Well, without N we'd just have sciece and without S we'd just have cience. It seems to function better in the latter scenario, but I believe it'd be best if we did a few experiments to unearth some more persuading evidence...

Anywho, I love how the one declared S that responded to this thread is the only one of the posters that didn't provide any substantial justification for his/er position. That doesn't really do much for your case there buddy. Where is your analysis/evidence?

Condescension aside, I'm really interested to hear why S's might be well-suited for scientific thought. I know a significant amount of ISTJs that are either pursuing scientific careers or have already become successful scientists, and they seem to have a knack for it. Maybe it's the Te? Or Maybe Si helps with generating a database of stored details and information?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    I'm really interested to hear why S's might be well-suited for scientific thought. I know a significant amount of ISTJs that are either pursuing scientific careers or have already become successful scientists, and they seem to have a knack for it. Maybe it's the Te? Or Maybe Si helps with generating a database of stored details and information?
    To be serious I think both S and N have something to offer science. I think that Sensors are less inclined to idealogy and are not as holdfast to assumptions and beliefs (in the face of evidence) though.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

It really doesn't make a difference.

With research you need both Ne/Ti as well as Ni/Te, and in industry you also need both sets for various parts of a project.