• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does type vary by mood?

e.19

This has been bothering me for ages.

If types outline what cognitive processes we're more inclined towards, how susceptible to moods are our preferences for these processes? I've read that types are difficult to change but if, for example, an ENFP would only need to switch his dominant and auxilliary preferences to become an INFP, couldn't he do so more or less at will or depending on how he's feeling?

(I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question or it doesn't make much sense. I'm not too clear on cognitive processes or why they're so distinct nor on the fixed nature of types.)

In any case, what do you think? Thank you in advance.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. Type cannot change.

e.19

Why? I mean, if we have the potential to develop the processes of our opposite type, could we eventually become "typeless?" Having all the processes at our disposal to choose from and etc?

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Why? I mean, if we have the potential to develop the processes of our opposite type, could we eventually become "typeless?" Having all the processes at our disposal to choose from and etc?

The idea behind types is that they describe what comes instinctually to you, as in.. what you don't CHOOSE to do.

Anyone can develop all of the functions properly, but there will still be a set of cognitive process that will come to you naturally, and a set that you will have to make a conscious effort to employ.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is also the theory that one's least developed functions tend to be drafted on behalf of the unconscious and can act as a release valve and a communication mechanism (to force you to explore why you was acting out). Those less developed functions act as a self-balancing mechanism. Having all the functions under perfect conscious control wouldn't be healthy, since that would leave nothing for your unconscious.

Additionally, have default preferences lightens the cognitive load, just like habits do. If we had to consciously decide which hand to use each time we did anything, it would quickly become tedious. I suspect it's similar with the functions.

e.19

Got it. But at the same time, could the process we unconsciously use vary depending on the situation and our feelings towards the situtation? For example, in certain situations an individual might automatically think through their feelings like a T, but in others react in an F manner and rather than think through them, operate on them.

I just find it hard to believe that our reactions to things would either be one thing or another, even if these reactions are instincts.

(In reponse to justxher.)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Right. Like I have to choose to engage se but ne or fi comes naturally.

e.19

There is also the theory that one's least developed functions tend to be drafted on behalf of the unconscious and can act as a release valve and a communication mechanism (to force you to explore why you was acting out). Those less developed functions act as a self-balancing mechanism. Having all the functions under perfect conscious control wouldn't be healthy, since that would leave nothing for your unconscious.

Additionally, have default preferences lightens the cognitive load, just like habits do. If we had to consciously decide which hand to use each time we did anything, it would quickly become tedious. I suspect it's similar with the functions.

Oh, this makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean by a communication mechanism, though. Do you have a particular instance in mind?

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, this makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean by a communication mechanism, though. Do you have a particular instance in mind?

Lenore's Thomson's book Personality Type has a well worked on theory on how the process works and number of examples. Also, Quenk's Was the Really Me? has a similar (if different in the details) theory, along with more examples.

One example Thomson gives is of a fairly extreme INTJ whose inferior (least developed) Se function started plaguing her with detailed dreams while sleeping and head-aches and other physical distractions when awake. Thomson argues that for introverts, our least developed function will act up when we become too internalized and use our primary introverted function too exclusively. It's a call to engage our secondary function with the outside world. Thomson states the Extraverts have an opposite problem (for example, an ESTJ might become plagued with Fi-directed impulses and judgments that violate their conscious value system).

I'm not sure I buy all the specifics, but it's an interesting theory. And you certainly see cases where an INFP (for example) flips out and starts acting like the least mature ESTJ possible.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I certainly think mood can affect what type you test as, but I agree that you don't really change innate preferences.