• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which type is the most passive-aggressive?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Behind the scenes temperament (INFP, INTP, ISFP, ISFJ), and enneagram 9's.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I would say P types, coupled with Fi. This is because of the inherent tension present in P when you wait until the last minute to decide as you gather all available evidence. I think that in a world free from things like deadlines and office politics, INFPs would not be passive-aggressive at all. In the wrong environment, I think they are among the most passive-agressive, along with other P/Fi types.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
ISFJ - because they are so focused on being helpful, nice, cooperative, good, whatever that the only way they sometimes express their anger is through being passive-aggressive, maybe only for fear that it would "look bad" if they expressed their true feelings

INFJ - not as much as ISFJ, but they are still introverts with secondary Fe, and I think that would play a huge role in being passive-aggressive since Fe is so concerned with what is "socially acceptable" and introverts are less likely to assert themselves

INFPs and ISFPs might actually be more likely to go off on someone, due to Fi. But I can see where someone might say INFP since stereotypically INFP is so quiet.

I know INTPs can be passive aggressive too. They can hide their anger behind a pretense of "calm" intellectualizing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IxFJ ... they are still introverts with secondary Fe, and I think that would play a huge role in being passive-aggressive since Fe is so concerned with what is "socially acceptable" and introverts are less likely to assert themselves

Yes, that's a pretty big factor in it. Fe extroverts are more liable to handle things face to face and not pussyfoot around, even if they try to handle it in a socially appropriate way.

INFPs and ISFPs might actually be more likely to go off on someone, due to Fi. But I can see where someone might say INFP since stereotypically INFP is so quiet.

Enneagram Nine INFPs especially, feeling like they need to be "at rest" or the diplomat really sometimes leaves a lot of bottled-up emotion.

I know INTPs can be passive aggressive too. They can hide their anger behind a pretense of "calm" intellectualizing.

Generally if you call them on it, they'll either be so anti-emotive they'll deny it and cut you down, or they'll be aware of it and laugh and acknowledge it.

Minnesotans.

I would never turn my back on one.

I would say Canadians but they're not really aggressive at all... except in hockey.

Poggle

MBTI Type
ENFP
Any type could have a passive aggressive response, but the manifestation of the response and the what would cause it will vary enormously according to type.

However since you asked which type is most likely to be passive aggressive let's see if we can narrow one down for you.

(What follows represents my opinion only).

As a general rule P's are slightly more likely to give a passive aggressive response than J's because J's extrovert their decision making and P's introvert theirs (hence if J gives an aggressive response it is more likely to be openly aggressive than passive aggressive).

Working back from that, I think it's fair to say that TP is more likely to have this response than FP. Both introvert their decision making but a TP, making decisions on logic or (what they see as) universal truths rather than the more instinctive feeling based process used by an FP. (FP's do not expect everyone else to share their feelings (since they don't communicate them) but TP's will expect people to share their logic because (to them) logic is a universal truth that should be held by all sane people). Therefore if the world goes against them a TP may display a stronger aggressive response.

Taking N or S into account, I'm thinking S here. A extroverted intuitive (as an NxP would be) might be better able to vent the aggression that way by throwing their ideas about a bit. An extroverted sensor would find this more difficult because extroverted sensing activities may not necessarily carry a suitable vent for the problem or issue.

As to E or I, probably I, thus putting the introverted thinking to the forefront and guaranteeing limited release form the auxiliary function of extroverted sensing.

That leads us to ISTP. If we look at the complete type dynamic we'll see, in order, Introverted Thinking, Extroverted Sensing, (Either) Intuition and Extroverted Feeling. Thus a passive aggressive response could be got from the dominant function, and hence is most likely. In grip (extreme stress), however, FJ properties will be displayed and the person is likely to become openly aggressive or emotional.

- Poggle

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISFJ - because they are so focused on being helpful, nice, cooperative, good, whatever that the only way they sometimes express their anger is through being passive-aggressive, maybe only for fear that it would "look bad" if they expressed their true feelings

:yes:

I think ISFJs and ISFPs are the most passive-aggressive (especially when observing my parents of those types :doh:).

I think INFPs and INFJs may be slightly less so, because there's that moral high horse factor that comes from being an idealist which moves you to be more direct.

I've seen every type be passive aggressive though. You might argue that ExTJs and IxTPs are the worst, because their Fi and Fe comes out in shadow form. (I think passive-aggressiveness is emotionally driven, which is why I'm pinning it on Feeling).

Neutralpov

cannibal?

Sorry to say it but the other ENFJ's I know can take the cake on passive aggressive.

Also ENFP although they can't do it for long being so freaking sensitive they make themselves cry.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I would guess ENFJ.

They're extraverts so they're interested in what's going on with the social world around them. This makes them pretty political. Likewise, they are Fe dominant so they're conscious of social norms and things. Also, ENFJ's seem fairly image conscious, which lends itself to not wanting to look bad.

sculpting

That leads us to ISTP. If we look at the complete type dynamic we'll see, in order, Introverted Thinking, Extroverted Sensing, (Either) Intuition and Extroverted Feeling. Thus a passive aggressive response could be got from the dominant function, and hence is most likely. In grip (extreme stress), however, FJ properties will be displayed and the person is likely to become openly aggressive or emotional.

- Poggle

I have to debate this one. My ITSP favors overt aggression in the form of trying to start fist fights-though he has gotten better as he aged.

Now days, he will just glare and ignore request from "stupid" people.

InfiniteIntrigue

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp
INFP is the first to come to mind.
My old roommate is an ENFJ and extremely passive aggressive, to the point that she couldn't even tell me she was moving out.
Also, ISFP.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFP and ISFJ

(also occasionally ISTJ/INTJ, if they are in a pissy Fi mood)

EDIT: Synarch is right about ENFJs too, now that I think about it. Tertiary Se's forceful aggression but subtly tempered by an Fe sugarcoat...they can be brutally passive-aggressive at times, and it's scary as hell because if you don't do what they want, they'll simply convince everyone to hate you. :(

bronson

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
ISFJ without a doubt! I have two ISFJ sisters and one INFJ sister... and the two ISFJ's are definitely more passive aggressive. Obviously just my experience.

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I don't think I'm passive aggressive unless I'm dealing with someone who just canNOT seem to grasp anything without freaking out on me (or being overly sensitive.) Like ENFPs for example. I think INFPs can be very passive aggressive as well. I could see my ISFP son being that way. I don't know any passive aggressive ENFJs and I know at least a few. Some of the ESFJs I've known can be that way, for sure.

These are just my experiences...and I don't know the types of some of the people I interact with on a daily basis.