• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Se is for kids

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Se seems to be very much associated with youth and Si with oldness.

Why is that?

It seems like as a society Se perception is something we're supposed to grow out of.

/ramblings

Triglav

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
P is also associated with children and J with adults.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Why is that?

It seems like as a society Se perception is something we're supposed to grow out of.

/ramblings

This perception is something I've very much encountered myself.

I used to go around saying I was disgusted by Se, but when I really examined it, I wasn't disgusted by the actual behavior, so much as the fact that the behavior had been associated by society with childish behavior.

So essentially, if Se bothers me, it's because I've learned that it's childish and unacceptable, not because of anything inherently wrong with it.

I think the reason it's discouraged is because most people (except INJs) tend to naturally operate in an Se mode regardless of deterrents, so discouraging Se and encouraging Te and Fe is necessary to get people to focus on following rules and the future at all.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJrEdnEZY-8"]Silly SPs, Se is for kids. ;)[/YOUTUBE]

Ingrid in grids

I think Ne can be perceived in this way too. It's probably because of those activities typically associated with childhood (physical thrills, exploring, playing etc.) and those associated with adulthood (record-keeping, organising, scheduling etc.).

I know that as a child, my Se was pretty much unused. It's something I've had to work at and still kind of drains me. I've found it to be a function you're kind of forced to use in the real world, so I think I've acquired more of it with age. So I guess I tend to associate it more with a kind of 'street smartness' and awareness.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think the reason it's discouraged is because most people (except INJs) tend to naturally operate in an Se mode regardless of deterrents

:huh:

Seriously. What the hell are you smoking?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Why is that?

/ramblings

Probably because Se tends to be living-in-the-moment and embracing/optimizing/appreciating events as they occur. Can conflict with ability to look at things in the big picture, and formulate goals and larger plans for ones life. As a child, being a child, is rather living in the moment -- the child has less of a grasp of Time and mortality, thus isn't as consumed by long-term anything. And as an adult, according to general cultural/societal norms, one should be planning for ones future, being 'responsible', etc...which tends to imply that Se should be pushed down.

As one grows older, one has more past - more years behind - than he might have ahead. More memories piling on, more experience, thus Si would tend to kick in and have more of a potential influence.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

Why is that?

/ramblings

Good question. Basically, Se deals with savoring the moment, having fun, and acting immediately. Together, all of these traits are definitely more youthful traits (they are more common in young people than they are in old people). Young people seem, in general, to be more fun-loving and in-the-present.

Si has to do more with oldness, because of simply what it is. Si has a lot to do with looking back at the past for reference. If one is very young, they don't have much to look back to. Older people have a lot to look back on and reference, simply because of their old age, and Si rewards experience in a significant way.

Old people are supposed to be more work-oriented than children. Si is more common with those who plan things and who are meticulous and organized, whereas Se, as mentioned earlier, has to do more with enjoying the present moment, something which, I would say, children do better than old people.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is it because responsibility, schedules, and all that which comes with adulthood, hinders the ability to experience anything and everything as it comes?