• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and religion?

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
ENP

I believe that the things we don't know are meant to be surprises, so I guess I'm just a Surprisist. All the big mysteries in life are like Christmas gifts; they are lying there, under the Christmas tree, but we can't open them yet, because it's still too early. We keep staring at them for days, speculating about what's inside them. But we still don't know. And one day, at Christmas, we can open all of those gifts. Some will be amazing, some will be lame, but we don't really mind, because even the crappy ones are all about the surprise and even for those crappy gifts we will thank each other. So the answer on all of those religious questions would be exactly the same (in my case then): I don't know, it's all a surprise and we're just not meant to know everything YET. Sometimes I actually do fantasize about how great it would be if someone discovered a kind of way to the Afterlife and back, and if we could just build some connection between here and there, so we could make phone calls to dead people or send post cards to them. But that's just me.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJ

Christian

There is a lot I could say about my faith, but these days my brain is tired (yay for grad school) so I will leave it at this: I love Jesus, study the faith in depth, and do my best to integrate it in my daily life.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ISFP

Christian. I believe Jesus died on the cross for my sins and I believe the bible to be true, and I read it daily. I think that pretty much sums that up.
boom bam, turkey and ham ;)

syckkz

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
ISTP and I'm spiritual.. I believe in god.. and thats it. I don't believe in any religions for reasons I will not post here because I'm not trying to start debates or bash anyone's beliefs:whistling:

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
INFP

I believe that God is everything and that everything in all of existence is connected in more ways than we think. I believe that Jesus (Michael) performed an important function for us, but I don't believe he is God. I believe that all religions possess nuggets of truth and that Christianity at its basics comes closest, but I am not religious in the organized sense. I believe there are spirits and entities all around us, and some of those profoundly affect humanity. I believe that this life is only a small portion of our soul's overall existence.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm an agnostic INFJ.

I'm willing to talk to Christians, share jokes with them, and accord them respect, but deep down I really don't trust them, because many of them seem to have an alarmingly flawed and unreasonable perception of reality. The only thing that might counteract this is if they can assure me that their conception of God is limited to an ethereal, spiritual world, no direct intervention, and that their beliefs about the physical world around them are rooted in Science.

I've never believed in an actual God or an actual afterlife, but I do value Christian teachings, symbols, values, and rituals. In other words, I like the traditions and the community, but I can't accept the beliefs that it's centered around.

When I was younger, I assumed that everyone around me couldn't possibly truly believe in something like the idea of a God existing in a literal way, and that it was more a symbolic teaching with symbolic actions that tried to illustrate universal truths about humanity, and attempted to create social order and promote a certain set of values that were important to our culture. I respected it a lot more when this is what I thought it was. In other words, I assumed people didn't mean what they were saying in a literal way. When I realized that "believing in God" wasn't just a metaphor for "believing in the power of tradtions of symbolism and ritual to enlighten, inspire, and empower people in positive ways," I was totally disgusted. So much so that I've rejected everything associated with it.

It's not hard to see how I got that, either. I mean, they do say near the beginning. "In the beginning was the word, and the word was God." I essentially was tricked into believing that we were worshipping the power of language and symbols, and that God was simply a personification of that concept, which was very appealing to me since I had learned to read by age 3.

krunchtime

Adhere? I don't adhere, I experiment. INTP or INxP cynic. Attended Church a few times to try and learn what the fuss is all about, but couldn't connect emotionally or mentally. I attribute it to my insufficient theological knowledge, so I'm holding out until I learn more. God is a sentimental concept for me.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
xNFP

Christian. Very liberal Christian. Maybe even what some people would call a Gnostic Christian. I feel deeply annoyed by organized conservative movements because I feel that a lot of the meaning and truth and actual spirituality is being squeezed out of what we today call Christianity. I have a deep prayer life and believe in the fall of man, the necessity for a redeemer, the teachings of Jesus, and the power of forgiveness. I believe that God is love. In truth I deeply respect Catholics and even temporarily considered becoming Catholic because of their focus on education and reason, but I do not feel that the way that they exclude non-Catholic Christians from communion and excommunicate divorced people from the church is right. That's part of the reason I am not a big fan of organized religion in general. I go to church sometimes, but my spirituality is not contingent upon organized church attendance.

Nyx

I'm not necessarily relgious. I'm spiritual.

I do believe in God. I believe that God, from a metaphorical standpoint, encompasses figures such as Jesus, Muhammad, Lao Tzu, Moses, the Buddha, and so on. I kind of mush all religious values into one supreme faith that is of metaphysical significance.

I am NOT Unitarian Universalist.

A spiritual connection with God should be personal, and something that you feel. Practical faith is more important than theoretical faith, which I think UU is. I've given them a shot, and they're too wrapped up in their minds.

I've found solace in the Unity Movement. It's more or less a Philosophy, because it isn't strictly an organized act of religon, though there are a small number of churches.

I open my mind and soul to any and every belief.

Ever heard of Bahá'í?

Bahá'í Faith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds like it lines up with what you are saying.

These folks are pretty interesting. I met with some of them around where I live just to learn about them and they were very friendly and helpful.

As for myself I'm an INFJ and I've had the first four sacraments of the Roman Catholic faith. I stopped going to church around 12 or 13 and started to question things. Most of my teenage years were spent as an agnostic then atheist while maintaining a moderate interest in Pagan religions and the Ancient Mystery schools, but not having beliefs about their validity one way or another.

Recently, I have had a extreme renewal of interest in Christianity (scholarly and mystical) and I am studying it in depth. I really enjoy learning about it. Right now I suppose I am tentatively an existential Christian, slipping into agnosticism often, hoping to build a strong faith. I need to sort many things about before I have decided on anything. I have to figure this whole theology thing out. I find people who are able to marry science and theology fascinating like J. C. Polkinghorne, top notch particle physicist and theologian.

John Polkinghorne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Faith of a Physicist (Theology and the Sciences)

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No religion to speak of. I'm attracted to the rituals, the stories, the sense of direction in the universe and the concept of wise benevolent forces being around us from most of the religions I'm familiar with, but I won't believe something to be true and certainly won't base any of my actions or attitudes on the assumption that something is true without what I perceive to be good evidence for doing so.

LEGERdeMAIN

ENP

I believe that the things we don't know are meant to be surprises, so I guess I'm just a Surprisist. All the big mysteries in life are like Christmas gifts; they are lying there, under the Christmas tree, but we can't open them yet, because it's still too early. We keep staring at them for days, speculating about what's inside them. But we still don't know. And one day, at Christmas, we can open all of those gifts. Some will be amazing, some will be lame, but we don't really mind, because even the crappy ones are all about the surprise and even for those crappy gifts we will thank each other. So the answer on all of those religious questions would be exactly the same (in my case then): I don't know, it's all a surprise and we're just not meant to know everything YET. Sometimes I actually do fantasize about how great it would be if someone discovered a kind of way to the Afterlife and back, and if we could just build some connection between here and there, so we could make phone calls to dead people or send post cards to them. But that's just me.

John Edward

InfiniteIntrigue

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp
INTJ
Christian.
Probably one of the few INTJ's who are religious. ha.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
ENTJ - athiest, don't believe in anything spiritual at all either

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
INFP
I don't really believe in a set religion but I am spiritual. ALMOST became Wiccan :p

bronson

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
ENFJ evangelical charismatic - which kind of assumes a belief in God... though how we'll ever know I'm not sure haha.

Yet also, far, far, far from them scary conservatives (sorry if that's you). But legalism and tradition frighten me! Which means reconciling faith beliefs in a very personal way. I guess that's just my political ideology and spiritual beliefs colliding and consolidating.

Organised religion is effective and yet so fake and contrived in some ways.

I'm interested in the ideas of many - but in the Christian vein particularly Soren Kierkegaarde, and, of course, C.S. Lewis.

Last edited:

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJ
Christian.
Probably one of the few INTJ's who are religious. ha.

I actually know quite a few fellow Christian INTJs! My husband, myself, and at least five male friends all come to mind right away.

Maybe we all should start a plot to take over the world.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ