User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

So it seems quite a few people who are reasonably sure of their dominant function are not so sure of their secondary one. This is interesting, because the effect on behaviour might be different to that experienced by someone whose 'doubt' lies in the E/I area, therefore not really knowing what your actual dominant function is. If it's supposed to be dominant, you'd think we wouldn't miss it! So how come we do?

I've often heard ENxP's say similar to what Vortex said there, myself included - that they were quite withdrawn and tended towards 'sedentary' hobbies as a child, such as drawing, reading, writing. And later in life developed a new sort of confidence, the lack of which seemed to be all that was holding them back before from fully engaging in the external world with a thirst for exploration both physical and social.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    So it seems quite a few people who are reasonably sure of their dominant function are not so sure of their secondary one.
    And when you get into cognitive functions, this is where I become a mutant. Because, with the cognitive function tests, both Ni and Fi are excellent usage, Te is limited, and everything else is average, with non-significant % differences between all the rest.

Te being limited builds a strong case for why I don't identify much with INTJ, and the high Ni is why I DO relate to INTJ, and have tested as one in the past.

High Fi throws in another wrench, though, because that speaks more towards INFP and ISFP. But ISFP is out of the question because I know some ISFP's in real life, and I'm nothing like them.

So, INFJ, INTJ, and INFP. I'm a blend of all 3? hahaha.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    I suspect that I may have scored as I did due to vacillating over the meanings of the questions themselves. For example, I recall wonder about a question concerning subjective thoughts: How can one's own thoughts not be subjective to some degree, since one cannot possibly know all and must therefore fall back at least partially on subjective data? I applied a similar line of reasoning to a question about biased thoughts.
    Exactly. of course, INTPs are subjective thinkers because they are centered internally, not externally. Being Ti means that the internal truth process is separated from outer reality, even if external data is being used to fuel the creation of the internal model. The INTP relates to the external environment not a thing in itself (objective -- see just what is there) but as something that impacts the internal world/model of the INTP (subjective -- the internalized world).

Anyhoo, I think only an omniscient person could be purely "objective." Since our POV is never all-inclusive, we can never be entirely "objective."

Then again, I am aware of making some decisions based on what is important to me, which could qualify as values-based thinking.
    You're going to wear yourself out thinking so much.

Your posts remind me more of INTP (caught up in the "nature" of things and all the nuances and how things should be defined) rather than INFP (caught up in the personal evaluation of things as good/bad, not so hung up on the impersonal abstractions).

I do tend to see INFJs veer more into this style of thinking (if they have a strong Ti tertiary).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

So it seems quite a few people who are reasonably sure of their dominant function are not so sure of their secondary one. This is interesting, because the effect on behaviour might be different to that experienced by someone whose 'doubt' lies in the E/I area, therefore not really knowing what your actual dominant function is. If it's supposed to be dominant, you'd think we wouldn't miss it! So how come we do?

I've often heard ENxP's say similar to what Vortex said there, myself included - that they were quite withdrawn and tended towards 'sedentary' hobbies as a child, such as drawing, reading, writing. And later in life developed a new sort of confidence, the lack of which seemed to be all that was holding them back before from fully engaging in the external world with a thirst for exploration both physical and social.
    Or maybe we just don't know as much as we think we do about how and when the different types and styles develop.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Or maybe we just don't know as much as we think we do about how and when the different types and styles develop.
    We don't, really. The theoretical usually ends up being simpler than reality.

There are probably multiple common paths into each type (and the various ways it can "look" in reality). If we could examine the early life and maturation of individuals, we might be able to see some common patterns based on the starting points and ending points.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    We don't, really. The theoretical usually ends up being simpler than reality.

There are probably multiple common paths into each type (and the various ways it can "look" in reality). If we could examine the early life and maturation of individuals, we might be able to see some common patterns based on the starting points and ending points.
    That goes to show me that we should really be careful and avoid being hard and fast in our judgments.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    And when you get into cognitive functions, this is where I become a mutant. Because, with the cognitive function tests, both Ni and Fi are excellent usage, Te is limited, and everything else is average, with non-significant % differences between all the rest.

Te being limited builds a strong case for why I don't identify much with INTJ, and the high Ni is why I DO relate to INTJ, and have tested as one in the past.

High Fi throws in another wrench, though, because that speaks more towards INFP and ISFP. But ISFP is out of the question because I know some ISFP's in real life, and I'm nothing like them.

So, INFJ, INTJ, and INFP. I'm a blend of all 3? hahaha.
    Sounds about right.

Though I definitely know Ne is my biggest function, I also have pretty strong Te, which I sometimes think is stronger than my Ti, but not stronger by any means, than my Ne. But then again, I often feel a great need to withdraw from the people I know, and though I often end up just going for a change of scene by seeing other people or going to other places, rather than being alone and 'still', there are times when I do need to be alone, even though being 'still' never recharges me and always makes me feel lethargic.

All I know is that I'm very much oriented towards action in the external world, but not just action - interaction with it. I can go for long periods when I don't see people and am quite happy that way, but I still don't think this makes me any more introverted because during those times i still need to be 'out there' and doing stuff, but alone. I couldn't just spend my days in front of a computer screen or at a desk - I'd wither away and die!! I really enjoy exploring and have such a high sense of wonder and appreciation for the things I discover, the places I see, I'm like an INFP sometimes, though when I read about Fi, I just don't relate to it at all, I don't know if I even have an Fi function, let alone a stunted one!! lol
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTP

I want to know how people who have a preference 'on the cusp' feel about it, or for people who are more sure about their preferences, whether they've ever doubted it or had a period in their life which, looking back, they can doubt whether they've always been the type they are now.

I'm just interested in that whole thing. Just give me your thoughts - any thoughts. Feed my Ne!
    I actually seek out Ne-situations, and I did during my growing-up a lot, I still do, I am not sure what that means.

As to what you are referring to above, I test INTP and INTJ consistently, INTJ less so, but before I knew I was an INTP I was almost sure I was an INTJ, and in fact I most likely was.

I have never really doubted being a T, however people have seen me be really really extroverted and have said to me that I AM an extrovert, so to be honest, it really depends.
    Deja que pasemos sin miedo.

MBTI
    ESTJ

People on the cusp on all traits have the best of everything.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by hotmale View Post
    People on the cusp on all traits have the best of everything.
    Or would their attributes all be null?