User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: What is Ni?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTP

Default What is Ni?

I'm having trouble understanding what exactly Ni is? Is Ni when you imagine having a conversation with someone? Is Ni when you see through a person but have difficulty communicating with him? What's the difference between Ni and Ne? Both synthesize information. Both read through the lines. What is Ni?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post832333

Ne solves problems by tweaking the formula and trying a new combination of pieces to see what happens. Patterns exist out there in the world just waiting to be found, and would be there whether or not we were here to perceive them.

Ni solves problems by looking at them from a different angle such that they don't seem like problems anymore (and if you don't perceive them as problems anymore, by definition they aren't.) Patterns (and everything) exist only as a function of interpretation and everything is completely in your head.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Hmm...there are heaps of threads on here regarding this and lots of information ...doing a search on it might be the better route to go.

At the moment I don't feel like going too deeply into it, but comparing myself to my ENTP friend, there's a HUGE difference between Ne-dom and Ni-dom. This may be a poor analogy and I'm going to steal it from how he self-described himself, but Ne is like a tree - starting at the trunk and growing up and out and there are an infinity of branches and things that the Ne-dom feels the need to explore and figure out. Starts out small, grows epically big. Whereas Ni might start out huge, lots of bundles of information, but the goal is to work it towards some final 'answer'. Ni hones in, Ne goes out. In VERY simplistic terms.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Hmm...there are heaps of threads on here regarding this and lots of information ...doing a search on it might be the better route to go.

At the moment I don't feel like going too deeply into it, but comparing myself to my ENTP friend, there's a HUGE difference between Ne-dom and Ni-dom. This may be a poor analogy and I'm going to steal it from how he self-described himself, but Ne is like a tree - starting at the trunk and growing up and out and there are an infinity of branches and things that the Ne-dom feels the need to explore and figure out. Starts out small, grows epically big. Whereas Ni might start out huge, lots of bundles of information, but the goal is to work it towards some final 'answer'. Ni hones in, Ne goes out. In VERY simplistic terms.
    That's not a bad way to think about it.

Evan has an idea on this that I like--he says Ne considers similar threads of meaning across many different varying contexts at once (breadth); Ni considers all the deepest implications of one context at a time (depth.)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Ni?

Ni is:

Infinity

Foresight

Vision

Strategy

Perspective

Sudden insight

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post

Ne solves problems by tweaking the formula and trying a new combination of pieces to see what happens. Patterns exist out there in the world just waiting to be found, and would be there whether or not we were here to perceive them.

Ni solves problems by looking at them from a different angle such that they don't seem like problems anymore (and if you don't perceive them as problems anymore, by definition they aren't.) Patterns (and everything) exist only as a function of interpretation and everything is completely in your head.
    Yes!

Thank you for this explanation.

It's amazing how people think Ne CREATES or IMAGINES patterns, when it actually PERCEIVES them.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    eNTP

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post832333

Good, now I can stop worrying I'm ENTJ!
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always “lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments.” He concluded that “There is more than one way of doing good science.”
    It was Watson’s form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve “the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA.” It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

It is a sacred word.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Suffice to say, is one of the words we cannot hear.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Introverted intuition is generally associated with the ability to recognize the unfolding of processes over time (patterns of events - how one event leads to another), and see intangible hints of relationships between processes or objects (cause and effect relationships ).

Most people here think Ni is magical possibilities.

Extraverted intuition is generally associated with the ability to recognize possibilities, create new opportunities and new beginnings, reconcile differing perspectives and viewpoints, and recognize hidden potential in situations and people.
    INTP | IEI - INFp