First 234

Thread: What is Ni?

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Two Point Two View Post
    You said that "the intelligence of the imagination...worn on the inside in the world of symbolic representation (read: language systems)."

I wanted to know if you meant by this that Ni always involved linguistic systems, if it was inherently lingusitic. Did you?

...Maybe. I'm having a little trouble relating to this description. The only point I was questioning was that Ni loses itself in the details, forgetting the bigger picture. I think this can occur but that it needn't necessarily.
    language systems could be more broadly conceived? symbolic representations and tools to access, arrange, and sketch them into an internal mapping? i think Ni is best when it uses linguistic tools of which i include logic and mathematics and other systems used to understand and map out symbolic relationships. what else provides structure to that which has been abstracted internally and divorced from the actual materials that have given birth to it? language systems of broadly painted metaphorical relationships divorced from the games in which they have originated.

my idea of Ni is that we do intense detail-work to revise and re-sketch our internal vision of the way the world works. it is a metaphysical system. the ability of our Ni depends on its accuracy which is nothing but the fit between our sketched maps of the world's essence and what the world actually is/is becoming. providing more revised structure and more closely attuned detail is what gives our Ni space more reality, more perceptiveness, more open-ended clarity of insight, of symbolic manipulation and essence extraction and linguistic pattern-recognition. of interpolative conceptual abstraction, in short.

Ne is different because it goes in the opposite direction, is skilled in the materialization of conceptual seeds and can see the path in fast-forward to actualization like a quick and to-the-point highlight video.

MBTI
    INTJ

language systems could be more broadly conceived? symbolic representations and tools to access, arrange, and sketch them into an internal mapping? i think Ni is best when it uses linguistic tools of which i include logic and mathematics and other systems used to understand and map out symbolic relationships.
    Symbollic representations, yes. But these need not be linguistic, even if 'linguistic' is conceived as including mathematics and logic. It need not be a 'system' that has any external manifestations at all.

what else provides structure to that which has been abstracted internally and divorced from the actual materials that have given birth to it?
    For me, it's mostly imagery. Language suggests meaning only by invoking images; images suggest meaning more directly, and meaning itself - concept - is what Ni is primarily concerned with. This is still symbollic, but I hesitate to call it linguistic because it's automatic, innate and idiosyncratic (so far as I can tell).

my idea of Ni is that we do intense detail-work to revise and re-sketch our internal vision of the way the world works. it is a metaphysical system.
    Ok, but it's not all detailed, is it? You can be focused entirely on one part of one theory, but you can also conceive of the whole, the way the parts of the theory fall in together.

it is a metaphysical system.
    Agreed.

the ability of our Ni depends on its accuracy which is nothing but the fit between our sketched maps of the world's essence and what the world actually is/is becoming. providing more revised structure and more closely attuned detail is what gives our Ni space more reality, more perceptiveness, more open-ended clarity of insight, of symbolic manipulation and essence extraction and linguistic pattern-recognition. of interpolative conceptual abstraction, in short.
    Revised structure, yes, but not necessarily in a higher degree of detail. Revising structure need also not be about getting it to map more closely with what is, but may be about restructuring so as to conceive of the same thing in a different way, thereby allowing you to realise not what reality is, but what reality isn't, though it may have seemed obviously to be so.

But I won't push the point any further; I feel as though we may be describing one thing in the context of slightly different interpretations, or simply utilising Ni slightly differently from one another.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    Ne is different because it goes in the opposite direction, is skilled in the materialization of conceptual seeds and can see the path in fast-forward to actualization like a quick and to-the-point highlight video.
    This is not correct. At least not in my case.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I think you're an INTP simply because you're questioning it.

What led you to believe that you were an INTP in the first place?
    I can't believe I made this post. Flattened by irony.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    1. This video is awesome.

2. I agree that it's a good example of Ni.

3. Yeah, I'm thinking he's INTJ.

I have a lot of questions about this, too, but I'm having trouble formulating them.
    The video exactly conveys my sentiments! For me, Ni's a way of showing that the world is beyond the human imagination. Hence these mixed feelings of awe, also in conjunction with Fi and Te, for the knowledge that justifies the Ni atmospherics.

BTW, I've also had a thread about this topic, a few weeks ago.
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I can't believe I made this post. Flattened by irony.
    I have to admit, that old post of yours was lame.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I have to admit, that old post of yours was lame.
    Lamo the Clown.