User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: What is Ni?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I think you're an INTP simply because you're questioning it.

What led you to believe that you were an INTP in the first place?
    Are INTPs more prone to self-doubt than INTJs, is that what you are implying?

MBTI
    INTJ

That 'why didn't anybody tell me' video is, I think, quite a good example of Ni. Elements of it are remarkably close to how reality seems to me.

I also think Jaguar's descriptions are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I think you're an INTP simply because you're questioning it.
    I still don't get this.

INTJs may be confident with their concepts, but it is still possible for them to doubt a conclusion, and it's possible for them to question their type. INTPs may do it more often, but this is hardly an absolute decider.

Nevertheless, this

What led you to believe that you were an INTP in the first place?
    Is still a good question.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTP

What led me to believe that I am an INTP was my test results and type description, although many INTJ and ENTP and even INFJ type description describe me accurately as well.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

If you had no idea what Ni was, you should really question your type, go back, and study the cognitive functions.
    INTP | IEI - INFp

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

now... I know it was another thread, but I still can't see why it is suggested in that "why there can't be borderline P/J" that Ni and Ne are supposed to be somewhat opposites and cannot be used by the same person?

I definitely use both - and very much so. not at the same time, of course, as these are quite different processes, but still... now I'm confused and I don't like it one bit!

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

bc the whole system that emerges out of your pre-dominant perceptual mode makes no sense if you take away this facet of perception.

cascadeco and jaguar pretty much covered the differences from a conceptual and a more behaviorial process. i think of Ni as cascadeco says, Ni is interpolation internally and Ne is extrapolation externally. Ne intelligence is stored outside of itself, the ability to overlay, superimpose objects, branch, recognize possibilities, infer, etc. Ni symbolizes everything internally, synthesizes, rotates and processes and sifts details. the intelligence of the imagination worn on the outside when merged with the environment vs worn on the inside in the world of symbolic representation (read: language systems).

we take the relationships inward and then walk along them internally in a super up close zoomed in detailed way. we lose track of the big picture bc we are soooooo focused on intricate relationships and how we can better intergrate them, adjust them, recognize their interconnections, potential meanings, etc. Ne is the opposite, it zooms into the relationships around it and uses all the information to get the flow, feel where the energy is moving, locate the basic pattern and pick up on it before it gets there. it is so anticipatory, it merges with the environment, imagines the possible directions of movement, expansion, and creation from any perceptual CENTER (not object).

Ne would get how to play the game, would imagine what it would feel like to be any PARTICULAR play in the game. Ni would imagine the whole SINGULARITY of the game itself.

Ti sometimes looks like Ni bc Ti painstakingly reorders everything into one single strand of causal chain that becomes singular when it keeps spiraling forever.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    bc the whole system that emerges out of your pre-dominant perceptual mode makes no sense if you take away this facet of perception.

cascadeco and jaguar pretty much covered the differences from a conceptual and a more behaviorial process. i think of Ni as cascadeco says, Ni is interpolation internally and Ne is extrapolation externally. Ne intelligence is stored outside of itself, the ability to overlay, superimpose objects, branch, recognize possibilities, infer, etc. Ni symbolizes everything internally, synthesizes, rotates and processes and sifts details. the intelligence of the imagination worn on the outside when merged with the environment vs worn on the inside in the world of symbolic representation (read: language systems).

we take the relationships inward and then walk along them internally in a super up close zoomed in detailed way. we lose track of the big picture bc we are soooooo focused on intricate relationships and how we can better intergrate them, adjust them, recognize their interconnections, potential meanings, etc. Ne is the opposite, it zooms into the relationships around it and uses all the information to get the flow, feel where the energy is moving, locate the basic pattern and pick up on it before it gets there. it is so anticipatory, it merges with the environment, imagines the possible directions of movement, expansion, and creation from any perceptual CENTER (not object).

Ne would get how to play the game, would imagine what it would feel like to be any PARTICULAR play in the game. Ni would imagine the whole SINGULARITY of the game itself.

Ti sometimes looks like Ni bc Ti painstakingly reorders everything into one single strand of causal chain that becomes singular when it keeps spiraling forever.
    WOW!!!

What an incredible post.

I love those descriptions.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    INTJ

Ni symbolizes everything internally, synthesizes, rotates and processes and sifts details. the intelligence of the imagination worn on the outside when merged with the environment vs worn on the inside in the world of symbolic representation (read: language systems).
    Do you mean to suggest that Ni must always be linguistic in nature? Because if so, I would have to disagree vehemently.

we take the relationships inward and then walk along them internally in a super up close zoomed in detailed way. we lose track of the big picture bc we are soooooo focused on intricate relationships and how we can better intergrate them, adjust them, recognize their interconnections, potential meanings, etc.
    This can happen, but I don't find it to be an inescapable aspect of Ni. I think Ni is capable of manipulating and conceiving of connected concepts at the broader scale, too.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Two Point Two View Post
    Do you mean to suggest that Ni must always be linguistic in nature? Because if so, I would have to disagree vehemently.
    i think you have a clarification brewing that i do not see. please show it.

This can happen, but I don't find it to be an inescapable aspect of Ni. I think Ni is capable of manipulating and conceiving of connected concepts at the broader scale, too.
    it finds the most correct available map so it can travel closely and trace all of its interconnections, remembering and re-absorbing them, to give birth to a bigger newly synthesized idea, no?

MBTI
    INTJ

i think you have a clarification brewing that i do not see. please show it.
    You said that "the intelligence of the imagination...worn on the inside in the world of symbolic representation (read: language systems)."

I wanted to know if you meant by this that Ni always involved linguistic systems, if it was inherently lingusitic. Did you?

it finds the most correct available map so it can travel closely and trace all of its interconnections, remembering and re-absorbing them, to give birth to a bigger newly synthesized idea, no?
    ...Maybe. I'm having a little trouble relating to this description. The only point I was questioning was that Ni loses itself in the details, forgetting the bigger picture. I think this can occur but that it needn't necessarily.