User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    The proof is in the pudding.
    Precisely.

The real flaw is not with systems and symbols. The flaw is in people. People mistake systems and symbols for reality.

Type is the social medium of the forum.

Default "The Magic Pudding", by Norman Lindsay.

Norman Lindsay's best known children's book is, "The Magic Pudding". He wrote it in 1917, partly to settle an argument with his friend Bertram Stevens of, "The Bulletin and Art in Australia", who maintained that children liked to read about fairies, whereas Lindsay said they liked to read about food.

First published in 1918, it is still in print and has been translated into Japanese, German, French and Spanish as well as having been published in Britain and the United States. It is regarded as a classic of children's literature.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    That's what I said in my OP.

But I think people need to realize that, in reality, MBTI isn't as relevant and concrete as [we] infer here. It's a problem because we learn to make judgments from it that are unnecessary and sometimes wrong. It's like over using a tool, so much that it becomes over redundant, annoying, and faulty.
    "We", Kemo Sabe?

BTW, what is the larger picture that is being missed?

(Please let it not be some NP vision that no one can really know anything and people are free to wander about in love and joy.)
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Since it is now typology central, it might make sense to also explore other approaches to personality and temperament available. Of the ones I've encountered, MBTI was the most interesting, but there might be new ideas being generated. That would give further ways to develop cohesion here while reducing obsession?

I communicate in MBTI terms here, but am a skeptic.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Socionics
    ENFj

I personally think the OCEAN test is a better personality test.

Anyways, MBTI is a good way to get a general idea about yourself and others, but I agree it should be seen as a general test and not let if define you. There are some things the ENFJ profile said that is WAY off for me.

I'll admit, I've made topics that were really dumb, but I've notice there are other topics that are really great.

This forum is a great place for us to come and learn about ourselves and others. Sharing different life experiences, views, philosophies, believes, and knowlege is great for helping us understanding our lives better. If we didn't have this desire, then we wouldn't want to take any personality test in the first place. This forum gives us a reason to share these personal things with each other.

While I agree with you that MBTI is taken WAY too seriously, I also believe there is some truth to the MBTI. I mean there are E/Is, S/Ns, T/Fs, and J/Ps and everybody prefers one over the other.

I think this person did a good job criticizing the MBTI.

YouTube - Myers Briggs, Part 5A: Criticisms of the MBTI

YouTube - Myers Briggs, Part 5B: Criticisms of the MBTI

YouTube - Myers Briggs, Part 5C: Criticisms of the MBTI

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Triglav View Post
    Agreed, many people define themselves by their type instead of letting their type define themselves.
    Indeed. I'm more of an ENTP here than in real life.
    On the other hand, it really helps me to understand the MBTI system. And that was my purpose when I joined.
    It doesn't help me to understand myself. I had a quite good understanding of myself before the types and they won't change me.

The only drawback, for me, is that they are changing my novel characters. Main character is now being more ESTJ than ever. I had some problems there. I wrote a bit where she wasn't following tradition at all and I was like "this doesn't seem ESTJ to me - is this right?" And then it hit me. It was Main being herself. Under these circumstances she wouldn't act the ESTJ stereotype. I actually should stop wondering if it fits, just write the novel and maybe afterward typecast the characters to see whether they are different.

MBTI
    INxJ

It's interesting to analyze and deconstruct everything. The problem is, when people can't see beyond the types. I agree that some people take this crap way too seriously.

The religion comment was right on. The forum is bad, but it's even worse in chat. Certain members will type and retype others every other sentence...kind of like:

Oh, you sound more like a INTJ, not an INFJ....

thirty seconds later:

Yeah, that's actually very common with ISFJ's, maybe you're not an INTJ....

seriously, it keeps going and going and going and then I have to close vent so I don't become vomitious.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ENTP

I do the opposite... Before I knew of types I might say:
    Main Character is like Husband in this, that and that aspect.
    She's like me in that and that aspect. She's like Friend in that aspect.

Now I might say something like:
    Main Character is mostly ESTJ, but she's more of a scientist trying to see/experiment how things work and she would rebel if authority doesn't follow common sense and...

I think this is a good way to use the MBTI...

I actually imagined Main and Secondary Characters learnt about MBTI in a psychology lesson. This was interesting.
    Main: Nice, this doesn't seem as random as most of the psychology course. I might actually understand this. Let's try with this test.
    Secondary: AWESOME!!! I'm ENFP, you seem to me INTJ...
    Main: Shut up, I'm counting my score.
    Secondary: See, you're introvert. You're shutting yourself of.
    Main: Actually I got ESTJ.
    Secondary: Extravert? Sensing?? Come on, you're good at maths!
    Main: Can we stop this? We've still got to learn for the religion test tomorrow.