First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    But I think people need to realize that, in reality, MBTI isn't as relevant and concrete as we infer here. It's a problem because we learn to make judgments from it that are unnecessary and sometimes wrong.

It's becoming a bit much for me, to be honest. These threads trying to state what people can and can't do based on their type...it's doing more harm than good, I think. I'll probably take a break from the forum within the next few months. Not sure if that break will be temporary or permanent.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Almost all religious communes have a religious core. And our core is MBTI.

MBTI is an article of faith. It cannot be proven or disproven - just like any good religious belief. So you can believe it or disbelieve it, according to taste.

So MBTI can be embraced with religious fervour or it can be crusaded against with equal fervour. And it is the fervour that is most important. It is the fervour that unites us in a fever of fervour.

Let's face reality here - MBTI is hot. And it makes us hot.

MBTI keeps us simmering. But best of all, it is never done. It just keeps simmering, simmering on the top of the stove.

MBTI is a magic pudding - the more we eat, the more there is.
    Pudding?

...What?!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Almost all successful communes have a religious core. And our core is MBTI.

MBTI is an article of faith. It cannot be proven or disproven - just like any good religious belief. So you can believe it or disbelieve it, according to taste.

So MBTI can be embraced with religious fervour or it can be crusaded against with equal fervour. And it is the fervour that is important. It is the fervour that unites us in a fever.

MBTI keeps us simmering. But best of all, it is never done. It just keeps simmering, simmering on the top of the stove.

+1.

People think you are crazy.

I think you are brilliant.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

I find it immensely useful to better understand how people around me view life. MBTI can help you find out what friends/family/coworkers can't articulate and tell you about their needs and interpretations of what you say. As an NF, I get a gut feel for people's emotions at a given moment but that just touches the surface. But what makes people tick? I enjoy just sitting in a public place and watching people walk by, trying to understand what they are thinking.

On the flip side, like you said it's easy to take it too far and spend hours on a subject which isn't that important. However MBTI is *the* purpose of this forum. But I agree, shouldn't go so far as to put types in a box for what they can and can't do. And assuming one type has certain elbows/hands is just plain silly.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Almost all successful communes have a religious core. And our core is MBTI.

So MBTI can be embraced with religious fervour or it can be crusaded against with equal fervour. And it is the fervour that is important. It is the fervour that unites us in a fever.

I actually understand and kind of agree with you here.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I actually understand and kind of agree with you here.
    well, except for the pudding.

I am an American.
    I only eat cold pudding.
    (Jello pop, if possible.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Carrying on with the wonderful pudding analogy...
    The proof is in the pudding.
    If there is some aspect that seems to work and help me in my life then I've used it. As for all the rest, I've simply rejected it. Just another tool in the toolbox, something to help you reflect on yourself and others.
    A mirror, mirrors have flaws. Or a map, the map is not the territory. Or a delicious baked cheesecake, you can overbake a cheesecake.

MBTi is about as useful for unjustifying ideas, as it is for justifying them. Once one realises this, they can happily argue the irrelevant as an abstract theory.

Also, sometimes science is about floating and testing ideas. People are exploring. Exploring is fun. Let them play.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post

It's becoming a bit much for me, to be honest. These threads trying to state what people can and can't do based on their type...it's doing more harm than good, I think. I'll probably take a break from the forum within the next few months. Not sure if that break will be temporary or permanent.

What a frustrating way of thinking.

See, I told you, OP. You're going to drive people away, encouraging them to leave here, forget us, and embrace that stupid reality.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    well, except for the pudding.

I am an American.
    I only eat cold pudding.
    (Jello pop, if possible.)
    Oh yes, I just sort of replaced the "hot pudding" metaphor with tasty tasty instant pudding.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"