• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do A Certain "Type" of People Like Horror Movies?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jennifer:

The Ring
The Grudge
Blair Witch Project (overrated now)
Hostel (I'm ashamed to admit that one)
28 Days Later

I'm ashamed of all of them. Tsk tsk!!!! Terrible movies!! Particularly the grudge. Why did she keep going back to that house to begin with?? She could have walked away at any time.

I don't get the big hype with the ring.

INTP vs xSFP

Not an unpredictable difference.
I've seen SFPs get excited about movies I find boring to me.
We have different priorities.
The movies on my list haunt me and I am reminded of them regularly.
I actually like psychological horror flicks more than just about any other picture type, they stick -- they seem honest, real, and get to the crux of human psychological growth/conflict... the space inside where people change or die.

Getting back to topic, I think "horror flicks" is too broad a topic. It's pretty clear that different types appreciate and are unsettled by different things.

What did you think of the remake of 13 Ghosts, for example?

Session 9
Se7en

I find them creepy and psychologically fascinating.
All the main characters are introverts too, I think.

(sorry, just speculating!)

Like I said, I like to be unsettled, and I like evocative pieces. All of the movies on my list definitely have a particular ambiance or mood to them.

Pretty good? It won for Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Actor, Best Director, and Best Screenplay!

Impressive for a director whose prior work was a comedy... but I think that nuance here was a positive, it allowed him to focus on the human elements of the movie rather than getting caught up in the overt gore potential.

R

Riva

INTP horror movies - Cast Away ( no books to read)

It would be the ideal movie for ISTPs.

Describes ISTP attitude.

Wow no one to talk to.
No one to talk to.
and no one to talk to.
My ideal dream vacation.:devil:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm drawn towards psychological drama. I'm more interested in the internal process of fear than gore. These come to my mind

Silence of the Lambs
Blair Witch Project
Carrie
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

I started watching a mindless horror story in which the characters were basically plastic, annoying, barbie dolls that were gradually being killed off in various gory ways that went on for a long time. I don't enjoy being grossed out by plastic people, so am adverse to that sort of horror. There has to be character depth that is convincing and that is somehow enlightening.

Last edited:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is actually a common fantasy for INTPs. Then I mention the "no books" thing and they change their mind, but they don't react with horror to the idea.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Meh.

It actually would be pretty cool:
- you're ALONe
- you have no one to depend on but yourself, and no one to tell you you're "doing things wrong"
- you have to be ingenuous and see potential in things and know rationally how to use them to survive
- you have no schedule except the demands of the moment
- you have a whole new world to explore
- all that matters is functionality, you have no social conventions or "appearances" to meet

This is actually very very good for INTPs.
it makes perfect use of their Ne coupled with Ti, and they have total autonomy over their own choices.

The only issue is that it gets boring once you know the island, and I'd want to move on.

R

Riva

This is actually a common fantasy for INTPs. Then I mention the "no books" thing and they change their mind, but they don't react with horror to the idea.

They don't react to anything except for when someone has something interesting to say or someone understands (intellectual enough) to understand them.

Then they go like yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee for 2 seconds.

wolfy

awsm
After reading through the lists here and learning the difference between thriller and horror I've realised I do like horror. Not gore though, psychological horror.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The Shining was the best horror film ever, no matter what your type is, that's fact.

stanley_kubrick-the_shining.jpg

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They don't react to anything except for when someone has something interesting to say or someone understands (intellectual enough) to understand them.

Then they go like yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee for 2 seconds.

If you say so. Also:

Meh.

It actually would be pretty cool:
- you're ALONe
- you have no one to depend on but yourself, and no one to tell you you're "doing things wrong"
- you have to be ingenuous and see potential in things and know rationally how to use them to survive
- you have no schedule except the demands of the moment
- you have a whole new world to explore
- all that matters is functionality, you have no social conventions or "appearances" to meet

This is actually very very good for INTPs.
it makes perfect use of their Ne coupled with Ti, and they have total autonomy over their own choices.

The only issue is that it gets boring once you know the island, and I'd want to move on.

Confirmation!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The Shining was the best horror film ever, no matter what your type is, that's fact.

I LOVE THE SHINING!!!!

Come play with us Danny, forever, and ever..

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What did you think of the remake of 13 Ghosts, for example?

I haven't seen it.. I'm just not easily unsettled by the classic definition of horror movie, period. Entertained? Sometimes. Comedy and horror are all in the same category. Sometimes if they are psychological i'm more interested in how things play out than unsettled by them. I very rarely remember the plots.

I'm unsettled by like,
requiem for a dream, green mile, umm pulp fiction,
whatever.
Not usually horror movies.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some of the Shining didn't work for me... (some of Kubrick's approach just seemed whacked, so I lost the feel of the creepy edge)...

....but yes, the imagery and the overdubs were awesome, I'm creeped out now just by seeing it here.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm unsettled by like,
requiem for a dream, green mile-

Okay, I did not think of Requiem as a "horror" movie...
... but yes, the same feelings: It's unsettling, I really like it, it's just hard to watch.
But now I want to go watch it again! (I'm counter-phobic, I think.)

So we connect there.

Green Mile?
I liked the book(s) better, the movie did less for me.

... I thought 13 Ghosts was stupid, btw.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Jennifer:

I don't get the big hype with the ring.

Oooh....Ringu is so much better. The original Japanese version of that and the Grudge are far scarier.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I haven't seen it.. I'm just not easily unsettled by the classic definition of horror movie, period. Entertained? Sometimes. Comedy and horror are all in the same category. Sometimes if they are psychological i'm more interested in how things play out than unsettled by them. I very rarely remember the plots.

I'm unsettled by like,
requiem for a dream, green mile, umm pulp fiction,
whatever.
Not usually horror movies.

I actually find many dramas far more disturbing than horror films. Real life is scarier than any slasher flick, IMHO. I watch most horror films as an escapist past-time. But there are a few that actually disturb me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oooh....Ringu is so much better. The original Japanese version of that and the Grudge are far scarier.

I want to see those at some point, just to compare.

The thought just ran through my head that generally I like to sit back on the sidelines and observe, from a safe place; and if something scares me, my first instinct is to withdraw.

Both The Ring and The Grudge (and even Nightmare on Elm Street) are movies where the horror follows you. You can't get away, it just relentlessly hunts you down, there's no way to "understand it," and in the end you are lost no matter what.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, I did not think of Requiem as a "horror" movie...
... but yes, the same feelings: It's unsettling, I really like it, it's just hard to watch.
But now I want to go watch it again! (I'm counter-phobic, I think.)

So we connect there.

Green Mile?
I liked the book(s) better, the movie did less for me.

... I thought 13 Ghosts was stupid, btw.

Yea, Green Mile affected me a bit.
I didn't read the book. I imagine its 1000 times better.
But when you don't taste the good juice then you just don't know ;)

Mostly my point is that horror movies just don't do anything for me. For the most part. They don't have any effect that they are "supposed" to have.

As for the Saw movies, shoot me now.

(haha had to mention that somewhere in this thread.)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As for the Saw movies, shoot me now.

I thought the idea was intriguing (at least for the first one)... but it was sort of a hackney approach to horror. I still can't believe Cary Elwes overacting in the first movie, that sort of crap is exactly what breaks the mood for me and makes it cheesy rather than scary.

... Anyway, less about me and more about type.
Are there any basic generalizations about type -> horror style that we could make?
Do some movies/styles cut across multiple types/archetypes?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Hm, well, I like the Shining a lot. That's not quite what I think of when I hear the phrase "horror movie". I guess there's variation in the genre though, and I like the ones that leans towards psychological over gore and violence.