User Tag List

First 123 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Welcome! I have also tested and identified myself as a variable array of types in different times. I think it shows person's flexibility and/or instability, or adaptation. It would be helpful to find the reasons for the changes, and any negative consequences that the type change brought.

In any case, it is great to enjoy flexibility in type preference, if the change has been voluntary

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Types DOES change. Jung and the early MBTI practitioners clearly believed so.
    References?

One way type can change is if you take online tests that are unreliable.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by momo View Post
    Hi, i'm momo. It's my first post here. Nice to meet you guys. ^^

It's been said the MBTI type is born and won't change. From my personal experience, my type has changed three times, from ESFJ to ISFJ then INFP which confused me a lot. Which one is real me? How to explain this phenomenon?

Anyone could help, really appreciated.
    I do not think the underlying architecture of type can change- but that behavior can be modified by certain conditions in the environment.

For example, according to Jung, personality is set when one is about 6 years old- however variables in the environment can affect the way an individual responds to stimuli and that can change as the individual begins to display more traits that are natural to his personality and not to certain stress/trauma factors.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

My short answer is: No.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Types DOES change. Jung and the early MBTI practitioners clearly believed so.
    Yes he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    And if Jung believed it was true, it must certainly be so?
    So what brings you here?

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    References?

One way type can change is if you take online tests that are unreliable.
    I'm currently preaching about reading Jung's Psychological Types. Just for your ease and comfort I found the exact reference. C.G. Jung, Psychological Types, Princeton/Bollingen, 1971 p. 285-286. Section called "The Type Problem in Psychopathology"

...introversion and extroversion are not traits of character at all but mechanisms, which can, as it were, be switched on and off at will. Only from their habitual predominance do the corresponding characters develop...I have frequently found that environmental influences to be just as important. In one case of my experience, it even happened that a man with markedly extravert behavior, while living in close proximity to an introvert, changed his attitude and became quite introverted when he later came into contact with a pronounced extravert personality. I have repeatedly observed how quickly personal influences can alter the duration of the secondary function even in a well-defined type, and how the previous condition re-establishes itself as soon as the alien influence is removed.
    Jung states this in other places, but this is the first one I flipped to. Of course we've had technological advances since then measuring introversion and extroversion so I don't know how much of this is still true. But as far as the other functions are concerned, yes I think you can by becoming more aware of them and how they work. If you're in an environment that forces you to use a lesser preferred function then you can build skill and awareness of that function. As for completely switching types, I don't know, I'm leaning towards no.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jung
    I have repeatedly observed how quickly personal influences can alter the duration of the secondary function even in a well-defined type, and how the previous condition re-establishes itself as soon as the alien influence is removed.
    It is interesting that he says it switches back quickly. I wonder if these changes are ever considered permanent or temporarily influenced by environment. If they are environment dependent then it not a completely stable change. I would like to read more about that. It is a rather fundamental aspect to this whole personality system.
    (from Blue Velvet)

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    It is interesting that he says it switches back quickly. I wonder if these changes are ever considered permanent or temporarily influenced by environment. If they are environment dependent then it not a completely stable change. I would like to read more about that. It is a rather fundamental aspect to this whole personality system.
    Yah! That's what's blowing my mind right now. I need to read Gifts Differing to figure out where Jung and MBTI diverged, because they have diverged. Now people simple use letters as if the functions don't even exist. Most information on the internet doesn't even address function attitudes and a good portion of MBTT research doesn't either. Jung's theories have been diluted to really bad tap water that have the nasty aftertaste of chlorine and copper. Maybe sewer water? OK, really bad city water that's verging on FDA intervention.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Yah! That's what's blowing my mind right now. I need to read Gifts Differing to figure out where Jung and MBTI diverged, because they have diverged. Now people simple use letters as if the functions don't even exist. Most information on the internet doesn't even address function attitudes and a good portion of MBTT research doesn't either. Jung's theories have been diluted to really bad tap water that have the nasty aftertaste of chlorine and copper. Maybe sewer water? OK, really bad city water that's verging on FDA intervention.
    That was beautiful.

I have some of Jung's writings and just need to take a sit down and read more.
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTJ

from http://www.indiana.edu/~jobtalk/HRMW...velop/mbti.pdf

"The primary method for testing reliability is to give the test to a person on two occasions. This procedure is known as “test-retest reliability." Typically, the test-retest interval can range from several weeks to more than a year. Because type is said to be a constant characteristic, we would expect that people's personality would not change over time. Several studies, however, show that even when the test-retest interval is short (e.g., 5 weeks), as many as 50 percent of the people will be classified into a different type.7 "

MBTI can be a lot of fun, but Im always careful to take it with a grain or two of salt, after all, no one claims its an exact science.

MBTI
    INTJ

My type changed from INFJ in my late teens to INTJ present day, and INTJ descriptions sound exactly like me. I agree it's possible for your type to change, but not drastically going from one extreme to another. There's no way I'll wake up a year from now an ESFP.