User Tag List

First 234

Results 31 to 35 of 35

  1. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Yeah Si is a weird function. Sometimes I feel like it works backwards, in that I won't really experience something until after it's over.

    Some easy-to-understand ways in which I use my Si is for example I'm a god at remembering people's names. Most people whine that they're terrible at remembering others' names, but I hear it once or twice and I'll never forget it.

    Or for example if I'm watching my friends play NHL 2010. I NEVER watch hockey, but for some reason I recognize all the players' names.

    Si is a very good learning function, and i've always been a fast learner. This is because lots of new tasks are similar to ones performed in the past, and the Si memory of doing tasks long past never really fades.

    One of my favourite things about Si is that it is grounded in reality. I like to think that I'm a very realistic person and that Si gives me a good understanding of reality and truthful perception (although maybe I'm just biased)

    My Si is heavily influenced by Fe though, which is nice because it provides some balance. Overall Si is a strange function and very different from Se.

  2. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Si is also a perceiving function, and for this reason I think that a lot of Si users LOVE gathering sensory information.

    as an ISFJ this manifests itself as a love of gathering information about other people i.e. I love to ask people questions about their life (siblings, parents, nationality, interests)

  3. #33
    Vaguely Precise Seymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazydaisy View Post
    Si is also a perceiving function, and for this reason I think that a lot of Si users LOVE gathering sensory information.

    as an ISFJ this manifests itself as a love of gathering information about other people i.e. I love to ask people questions about their life (siblings, parents, nationality, interests)
    That's an interesting contrast. I enjoy talking to people about their families, but more because of what is important to them emotionally (go Fi!). I freely admit I suck at retaining the details. I also find when I hear about someone's day, I'm mostly interested in what was importantly subjectively. If they start listing the events of the day in order, my mind starts wandering (...how about Mexican for dinner... oh! you were saying?).

    Do you think there is much correlation between Si and being good at memorization? I always thought I sucked at memorization, until I reluctantly joined a study group in college. I realized that I memorized fine, but found it tedious (up until then, I just assumed I sucked at it).

  4. #34
    Senior Member Ruthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ?
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Oh yeah - Si definitely aids memory.

    I'm excellent at remembering words, lists, names, and dates. Unfortunately, I don't put it to good use. I've always found it easy to remember stuff like Oscar winners, Presidents, baseball rosters and stats, U.S. Senators, or other random stuff like that, but I can't seem to apply that same skill to things that actually matter in my life.

    Also, and I'm not sure if this is common with Si, my memory does not work visually. I have to mapquest places I've been several times, I'll introduce myself to people I've already met, I'm terrible at remembering what people I was with wore yesterday, and I barely notice new buildings in my own neighborhood. Tell me something, I'll remember it forever; show me something and it barely registers at all.

  5. #35
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    [In the car driving home with a friend after an afternoon at the beach. We're driving into a colourful sunset.]

    [In my head:] Well, the beach was ok. But there must be more to life. Look at that sunset. The colours are nice. But it's sad. Why is it sad? I suppose I should be in awe. But I'm not. How can people just stare at a sunset and say how magnificent it is? Don't they get bored? Looking at this sunset makes me want to search for a more meaningful experience. For the bigger truth. What is that truth? The answer isn't in the sunset. Where is the answer?

    [Out loud to my ESFP friend:] Look at that sunset! Isn't it strange? Don't you think there must be something more? I wish I could be happy. What do you think?

    [ESFP:] I think you're funny. Why can't you just enjoy the sunset?


    That's the thing. With Si, you sometimes can't just “enjoy” it. I think my Si triggers my Fi. In this sense I enjoy relating to NFs. I can share the same feeling of despair at the banality of life and experience. Is this the same for others with dominant Si? I'd be interested to know.
    This is not the same case with me. I usually tend to appreciate something in nature for its beauty, not really putting much thought into how something (like that beauty) takes place.


    Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    That's an interesting contrast. I enjoy talking to people about their families, but more because of what is important to them emotionally (go Fi!). I freely admit I suck at retaining the details. I also find when I hear about someone's day, I'm mostly interested in what was importantly subjectively. If they start listing the events of the day in order, my mind starts wandering (...how about Mexican for dinner... oh! you were saying?).
    I'm pretty much the opposite - sometimes I ask people what they did in the particular day, because I'm in interested in the chronological details of their day rather than what is important subjectively.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Do you think there is much correlation between Si and being good at memorization? I always thought I sucked at memorization, until I reluctantly joined a study group in college. I realized that I memorized fine, but found it tedious (up until then, I just assumed I sucked at it).
    Si has definitely helped me in memorization, especially long-term memorization. Remembering facts, numbers, details, and statistics over the long term has been my strong point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    Also, and I'm not sure if this is common with Si, my memory does not work visually. I have to mapquest places I've been several times, I'll introduce myself to people I've already met, I'm terrible at remembering what people I was with wore yesterday, and I barely notice new buildings in my own neighborhood. Tell me something, I'll remember it forever; show me something and it barely registers at all.
    No, I disagree with the idea that this is to do with Si. Because I'm the opposite - show me how to do something or draw something out, and it registers very well for me. But if you talk to me about it - I'll just give you a blank look. You're probably an auditory learner - this is not related to Si.

    However I do agree with you that Si can aid in memorization.

Similar Threads

  1. [Si] What does Si mean to you?
    By Fun in the Sun in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-21-2015, 06:40 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-10-2011, 04:05 PM
  3. Happiness and what it means to you
    By therationaledge in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-09-2009, 07:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO