User Tag List

First 234

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Hehe, I did everything before the other kids so I'm pretty sure reading was on that list too. Not that I ever really like to read, it was mostly due to my violently competitive ENTJ spirit. If someone could do something I couldn't I'd just make them cry or hit them.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by justxher View Post
    Hehe, I did everything before the other kids so I'm pretty sure reading was on that list too. Not that I ever really like to read, it was mostly due to my violently competitive ENTJ spirit. If someone could do something I couldn't I'd just make them cry or hit them.
    lol

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

My mom discovered that I knew how to read when I was four years old. She was very tired one evening. I think that must have been after she went back to school. She had a husband and four kids and all of that kept her very busy and tired. My mom decided that she would read a book to me but she would abridge it so that she could get to bed a little bit earlier.
    She didn't count on my response: "But, Mommy, you left out all of those words!"
    "What words did I leave out, honey?"
    I read the entire book to her.
    My mom later told me that she thought that I had memorized the book but she wanted to test that theory. She said, "Wait a minute, honey." And she got out another book, one that she had just bought for me.
    "Read this book," my mother said.
    I read the book. My mother then knew that I was a reader.
    Yet, when I went to first grade, I was bumped from fast reading group (I already knew how to read so that's where I was placed) to middle reading group to the slow reading group... all because I could not do the phonics drills. I never could do phonics, mainly because I have an auditory processing disorder. To this day, I see words as pictures that represent words. I never sound out words at all.
    Reading was just a code that needed to be broken. When I broke it, I became a reader.
    And, yes, I love to read... except when the weather is good and I'd rather be outside, having adventures and seeing the world.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    Yet, when I went to first grade, I was bumped from fast reading group (I already knew how to read so that's where I was placed) to middle reading group to the slow reading group... all because I could not do the phonics drills. I never could do phonics, mainly because I have an auditory processing disorder. To this day, I see words as pictures that represent words. I never sound out words at all.
    Reading was just a code that needed to be broken. When I broke it, I became a reader.
    That's very impressive. Sounds like you effectively had to learn a new language. Dyslexics see words as pictures as well, and they have auditory processing problems, but it makes them bad at reading. I wonder what makes you different. I don't understand though, how you cracked the code while not being able to do phonics, when the written English language is a phonetic code. Can you explain?

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I was diagnosed with an auditory processing disorder when I was in my thirties. I went through a lot of speech-language therapy to help me with decoding problems and with other problems, such as difficulty understanding what I hear when there is background noise, especially multiple conversations. During the therapy, it was discovered that there are certain sounds that I don't hear at all. I could not understand words when they were broken into their sounds and said very slowly. It just sounded like unintelligible noises to me.
    But I don't read the English language in the way that you describe. I just see entire words. But I do recognize prefixes and suffixes and can recognize visual similarities between words.
    All I can say about being good at reading despite not being able to sound out words is that my visual memory makes up for any auditory weaknesses (which are very specific to spoken language and don't interfere with my musical skills). I can remember a place that I've been in after being there once or twice and I never get lost. I can read many words by sight and will immediately identify if they are spelled correctly or not (although, if they are badly misspelled, I will not be able to read them, even if they are spelled phonetically).
    Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    That's very impressive. Sounds like you effectively had to learn a new language. Dyslexics see words as pictures as well, and they have auditory processing problems, but it makes them bad at reading. I wonder what makes you different. I don't understand though, how you cracked the code while not being able to do phonics, when the written English language is a phonetic code. Can you explain?
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Oh, cool, thanks for explaining.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

You're welcome.
    (I like your avatar.)

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    Oh, cool, thanks for explaining.

brainheart

Tourist, this is interesting to me because it makes me wonder how I am about words. I know I just see them- phonics was a phenomenal waste of time, fortunately there wasn't as much of an emphasis on it once I came along. But I can figure out a word if it's mispelled, same with if it's written backward, whatever. I can read backward writing, upside down writing pretty much as easily as if it's normal. Sometimes I won't even notice if something's written backwards, I'll just read it.