User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learning to read and personality type

451 sp/sx
    INFp Ni

I have no idea when I learned how to read, but I doubt it was any time early. I came from the type of household where that sort of thing would have been one of the last priorities. It didn't take long, though, for me to catch up with my classmates. I can remember being able to read like lightning by the time I turned eight. /shameful bragging
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

That chalkboard guy Array Matthew_Z's Avatar

I don't recall the age I learned to read, but I know I could before the 1st grade. Seeing as I can't remember not being able to read and my memory goes back to around 4 years of age, I'd say I learned to read at 4-5. Nothing too advanced, but I definitely wasn't behind in reading level.

For me, reading came with learning how to use a computer. (Another thing I can't remember not knowing. Us digital age kids...)
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    You can't learn to read fluently without doing a lot of that. As long as what was initially learned is correct, a strong Si preference is going to be a huge advantage because deviations from the internalised norms will produce stronger gut reactions. These will be the people who can most easily spot that a spelling "just doesn't look right".

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    I have always read quickly and while I can miss details because I go so fast, I usually had a really good big-picture overview of what I have read (I grasp the "essence" of it); slower linear readers seem to get lost or bored or frustrated more often.
    That was all really true for me, coming from the other side of the issue. I was definitely a slower, linear reader. The big-picture overview was probably not something I grasped at an early age, that took a while to develop.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 10-25-2009 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Jennifer's remarks
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Mud and rain and chaos... Array TickTock's Avatar

I learnt at 4. I read with lots of different people. I remember my Grandad would never let me find the word he would say it as soon as I hesitated, so I got faster to beat him to it. Someone else taught me to break the word down. Other people would wait until I got the word on my own, encouraging me. From then on I can't look at anything without reading it.

I am detailed orientated so read slowly, and I do sound the words out in my head. I also don't remember the words on recall but the gist. A friend of mine reads fast and seems to remember everything word for word. So Im not sure if there's anything in that.

Persoanlly, being able to break the word down (from practice) means Im good at linking words and finding meaning along with detail focused, finding meaning in the whole sentence. I'm not a bad thesaures either.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

Senior Member Array Trepidation's Avatar

Apparently I was reading and writing when I was three. In my early schooling years I was always reading the most advanced books and blah blah blah. I used to be proud of stuff like that, but I don't really care anymore. I just want to make things.
    Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them.
    - Duke Leto Atreides

Because random people I meet on the internet are the best judges of my personality.

bumping this thread..

i just remember the other day i started for real learn to read when i was 10, and when i was around 13-14 i knew for real to read.
    when i was 9/10 they were measuring in class how fast we read and i was worst, only one or 2 guys who went to special program and were borderline retarded were worse than me, but close to me.
    i just couldnt concentrate to learn to read before 10, and nobody forced me to.
    i knew all letters of course but was very slow at it... :/
    I dunno is it linked to ADD, or something, or only lazyness
    but funny thing is i had straight As from first class to the end of HS, so even though i didnt know how to read for real i had As in primary school :/

I don't want to get into the whole story, because it's long, but I was one of the worst readers in my class in first grade, and one of the best from second grade on. No special intervention or tutoring; the change happened seemingly overnight. I don't remember, but I usually attribute this to discovering American Girl books (i.e. books I enjoyed and wanted to read).

So, I really learned to read at age... 7?

Once thing I did learn in first grade was The Tale of Peter Rabbit... for some reason we not only read it, but memorized it. I still know it by heart up to "whom should he meet but Mr. MacGregor."

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    My teacher actually got mad at me in Kindergarten and sent me to the principle's office because I said "You mean they're all illiterate? You're not doing a very good job then, are you?" when she explained why she was surprised I could read signs in the classroom, and she thought it was a curse word.

The principle didn't punish me when I told them what happened, though. Had to explain to the teacher what the word "illiterate" meant. She was really embarrassed and frustrated.
    I don't know whether this story is horrifying or reassuring... horrifying because of the quality of our teachers, reassuring because kids seem to be doing okay anyway.

Senior Member Array

My big sister learned to read at about age three. My mom has told me that she had told my sister, the little three-year-old girl by then, that she didn't have time to read a story for her at the moment. She was shocked when my sister had said: "Fine! I'll read it, myself, then." And she read out loud the story that she had asked her mom to read for her.

In fact, my mom has told me that my sister was two years at that time, but I suspect her accuracy because she sometimes tends to exaggerate things to make them sound more incredible.

I learned to read and write when I was four. My sister taught me.

My sister is probably an INFP and I am an INxx (probably F).

I don't remember if I was specifically better at reading than others, but I always seemed to stumble into good grades in English class

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    First to whine: SJs
    first to hate: you