User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Early. 3 or 4. My mother is an elementary school teacher. As she loves to teach reading, she did so with my sister and me :-)
    I had a little book called "Ping en de zeester" (about a penguin and a starfish) attached to the bars of my toddler's bed. Yes, it contained words with more than one syllable. I never understood why people need to learn one-syllable words first. If you can read the first syllable, just read the second one and attach them, no?
    I love, love, love reading. It makes me introvert on any test where introversion is linked with reading.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Me? I was reading at age 3. I always like to tell people that because it usually impresses the ones who didn't read until 5 or 6.

My teacher actually got mad at me in Kindergarten and sent me to the principle's office because I said "You mean they're all illiterate? You're not doing a very good job then, are you?" when she explained why she was surprised I could read signs in the classroom, and she thought it was a curse word.

The principle didn't punish me when I told them what happened, though. Had to explain to the teacher what the word "illiterate" meant. She was really embarrassed and frustrated.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

I read on my own by approx. age 2 or 3. I was read to from birth.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

My mind worked more like Kanji stuff. I remember knowing what the words meant, but not the individual letters.
    I didn't really know all the different letters until like age 6, but I was pretty busy doing other stuff.
    When I started reading around six, I started out by doing it seriously.
    My first two books were The Count of Monte Cristo in early 1900's swedish. Real brick.
    I was through it in no-time. Next up was The Lord of the Rings.
    I never did baby-talk or such, my parents made it a point of using advanced and adult language around me at all times, and it worked.
    Never had any problems using an advanced language at any age.

My parents are both students of developmental psychology and lots of other fun stuff, so this was actually all a part of the plan.
    English wasn't really a problem, either. Just kinda became somewhat fluent in it from one day to another.
    Seems like I have blockings like that... But once I piece it all i've learned here and there, I can wield it.
    I'm currently bombarding myself with German, and i'm making huge progress in understanding the spoken language.
    Trying to achieve it through an interest of mine, military history, since i've found that being interested is way better than just trying to learn.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I was three when I learned how to read - I don't really remember it. I do like the story of how it happened, though, told me by my mum. Apparently she was in the kitchen and I came in and said "Mummy, what does 'soporific' mean?" (I kid you not). Apparently she took this very calmly and said "it means something that makes you sleepy"...I went off quite happy, and a minute later she thought "huh?" She wouldn't have invented this somewhat implausible story but I hope she didn't embellish it either, cause I do love it

The book, incidentally, was The Flopsy Bunnies by Beatrix Potter, which at least was fairly age appropriate. (Beatrix Potter loved to drop in unusual words and funny turns of phrase). But my parents hadn't realized I could read. With my older brother apparently they used more alphabet blocks, phonics, etc - I think he was four when he learned. With me, they mainly just read and read and read to me. I must have always realized books are something to be loved. At any given age I was always reading books that were ahead of what my normal reading level would be considered, but I would also be reading much more age-appropriate books. I think when I was five or six, and we were at the library (which we were a lot!), there was at least a little while when I was taking books from the picture book section, AND the primary fiction section, AND the 9+ section.

As for type, I don't know. INFJs are certainly supposed to be book lovers and I always have been. I'm guessing a little SP would be out there playing and messing around, an NT would be taking stuff apart and putting it back together, and an SJ...would probably have been helping with the baking?! Hard to say.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Phantonym

I can't remember how or when I actually learned how to read. I only consciously remember that I was already reading when I was 5 and that once I understood the capital letters, I could read the "regular letters" (I don't even know what they're called in English ) straight away. And I was definitely a contextual reader. Something just clicked to its place and I didn't need my parents to help me, it was so much more fun to figure things out on my own and gather more and more information as I devoured books.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I know I was read to since I was a baby. And I'm fairly sure I started learning to read at 3 or 4. And I still remember the very first book I read all by myself, which must have been somewhere between 4 and 5. It was One Fish, Two Fish by Dr. Seuss.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    INTP

Reading everyone's comments, I think the lesson to be learned here is simple.

Reading to your kids is a good idea, mkay!

Also, kids will be more likely to pick up a book themselves if they regularly see mum or dad sitting down and reading.
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little hermit crab too!

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

First to walk: SPs
    First to read: NTs
    First to whine: SJs
    First to love: NFs

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I was about 3 when I started learning.. about 4 before I was reading books.
    I think I liked it when I was learning, but have never really liked it after that, even as a really little kid. I'm too...
    twitchy.
    fidgety.
    ADD as the kids like to call it these days.

But my mom always had me reading something.