• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverts- When you need to "recharge"

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
  1. What happens to you personally?
  2. What are some experiences?
  3. What causes you to need to "recharge?"

Keep in mind I'm a very, very mild Introvert. Things will differ based on percentages and how preferred someone is.

For me, right now, I feel very unmotivated and tired. I think that I would crack if I interacted with another human being in the real world or over the phone (thank god I live in a cabin on a mountain). I lack energy, I got groceries today and I felt like I was going to fall asleep standing up, it was like everything was moving 2x slower than usual. I drank an energy drink, and now I just feel like I do when I need a nap.

I just don't want to do anything! This is because yesterday I got back from visiting relatives for four days straight. I survived that because I am a night dweller and I was up 3-5 hours more than everyone else. That was 4 days of talking to people and catching up, and interacting with the world. It hit me like a truck last night, and I was feeling the effects of it driving home. My ENFJ mom noticed that I was quieter than usual as well, but knows about MBTI and I have explained introversion to her before.

These are some things that happen to me typically-

• General lack of energy and focus
  • Losing patience with people and things in general much, much quicker than normal
  • A general lack of tact
  • Wanting to sit around in silence with just my pets or music as external things going on, or to just play video games all day
I'll add more later...

Extroverts just seem to not understand the Introvert's side of the spectrum, and maybe this thread can enlighten some people.

Last edited:

VagrantFarce

I just check out mentally, and sit inside my head chasing pwetty butterflies.

P

Phantonym

I'm a very expressed introvert.

The cause for the need to recharge - information overload; not enough space and time to process everything I've come into contact with. It tires me immensely.

I know that there's a need to step back and take a breather when I usually just want to control everything around me so that it wouldn't bother me. I just need to get away from everything and everyone. When I get tired, I can get really irritated by small things and I snap at people. My evil side, the bitter sarcastic whiny bitch emerges and people best get away from my sight then. I really don't want to harm anybody but I do utter some nasty remarks out of frustration and feel guilty because of that afterwards. It's just that at that moment I don't care about anybody but myself and my own well-being.
I can pick a fight (verbal confrontation) merely out of spite and over some insignificant things.

Basically, it's not pretty until I get some time to recharge. Then I'm all my usual self again :) Until next time...

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I have moderate INTP "Wait, making this plan involves leaving my house? *goes to cancel plan*" syndrome. Other than that, I think I'm fine.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I know that there's a need to step back and take a breather when I usually just want to control everything around me so that it wouldn't bother me. I just need to get away from everything and everyone. When I get tired, I can get really irritated by small things and I snap at people. My evil side, the bitter sarcastic whiny bitch emerges and people best get away from my sight then. I really don't want to harm anybody but I do utter some nasty remarks out of frustration and feel guilty because of that afterwards. It's just that at that moment I don't care about anybody but myself and my own well-being.
I can pick a fight (verbal confrontation) merely out of spite and over some insignificant things.

What she said.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You know, I've thought - and even been told by others - that I am an ENFP (weak e) because I'm so talkative, outspoken, direct, and emotionally expressive.

However, I possess the introvert quality of needing to "recharge." I face this most when I'm actually in a "recharge" phase - such as the past few days. I feel extremely unmotivated, anti-social (not like hurting people, just like not wanting to participate, not seeing the point in participating) and basically want to be freed of all societal constraints. I tend to spend a lot of time alone in my apartment with my cats, listening to music, watching movies, reading, getting on-line (duh!), and quietly working on school work, like writing.

I've felt very drained and going through this since late Thursday night actually. Saturday night I worked and I felt so sleepy at the end of my shift (working with people) that I wanted to fall over. I don't completely become a hermit, though. Talking one-on-one with an extremely close friend is still nice as long as I don't have to be around a group.

I also very, very much lose tact. :yes:

Stillow

MBTI Type
INTP
I get tired, my mind starts to wander alot more. If I have to be in a social group while needing to recharge, I get more quiet and, eventually, must get away from the group. If I let it go on too long, the noise becomes almost intolerable, and I get emotionally raw.

For years, I did not know I was an introvert. I didn't know how to take care of myself. I thought I just had to muscle through it, suck it up and keep going. I'd end up in a deep depression every year after the holidays, and I never knew why. I mean, I knew I hated the running around, the shopping, the crowds, and even the extended family visits that would begin to feel like a marathon. I've always recognized the social anxiety. But, I'd just keep going, believing that I could not let the stress or the fear get the best of me. Basically, I abused myself.

Since I found out about being an introvert and what that means, I don't mess around and I don't deny myself that down time. I still suffer some depression after the holidays, but every year I do something else to lessen the effects of all the socializing, so that I'm not a wreck for 3 months afterward. Still learning.

I don't know, yet, how I'm going to deal with going back to work. It's been years since I had to work full-time around people. I use to crash for an entire weekend, sleeping all the way through, about once every 3 weeks or so. If any introverts have any suggestions on how to take good care of oneself while working full-time and having a family of extraverts, please let me know.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't necessarily feel drained after interacting with people. I can chat with someone for dozens of minutes and not only feel energetic, but more so than when I started. It takes longer, like four hours in someone's presence, for me to really wind down. When that happens, my thoughts and emotions shut off, and I can't speak unless someone prompts me to. What I need at that point is to withdraw so I can digest everything. Once I have a chance to do that, I feel another surge of energy like the one I get at the start of a good conversation. Too long by myself, though, and I'll start to feel drained again; I can only go so long without human contact.

It's with raw information, like the kind you gather for research, that I'm most like an introvert in the traditional sense. I can do something as simple as read a few Wikipedia articles, and I'll come away feeling dazed, weak, and emotionally drained. Sensory stimulation has that effect, too, but it doesn't set in nearly as soon. I can listen to music for as much as an hour and still feel all right, whereas more than 20 minutes of Wikipedia'ing will make a mess of me.

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9

1. The most noticeable thing, to me anyway, is my thought process. In addition to losing focus and energy, all of my "remaining mental (and physical, to a slightly lesser degree) energy" goes straight to planning how I can "get away".

2. Primary experiences are strikingly similar to yours, but perhaps even more so. I consider myself to be highly introverted, or at the least, significantly more so than the people I am around on a weekly basis.

You said:
* General lack of energy and focus
* Losing patience with people and things in general much, much quicker than normal
* A general lack of tact
* Wanting to sit around in silence with just my pets or music as external things going on, or to just play video games all day

I say:
Yes, I lose energy and focus. In this case, it's like I said above.... I can no longer keep focus (well, I can force myself to, but it makes it worse in the end. It's like using a credit card to pay for a credit card bill.) and it becomes very hard for me to concentrate. (Not so much simple tasks, but anything worthwhile. In my book, that requires thought.)

Yes, I definitely lose patience with people and things. I don't ever "get mad", in the sense that most people do (emotional outburst, etc, etc) but I become very blunt, very cynical, and very irritated in general. It's usually a build up of "little annoyances" that get me to this point. (Which can be anything from overly-extroverted people that won't quit talking, somebody screwing up something I set up or planned, or just stupid things, like I couldn't focus enough to get my tie on correctly or whatever.)

The general lack of tact ties into my last statement. When I get to that cynical, blunt stage, it's just that. I normally take a small amount of consideration to other people and their feelings when I make statements, but when I am in this condition, I don't care at all. I speak very plain, simple, and to the point. Usually negative. ; )

Now here's the extreme part for me, I think. When I get to that point, all I can think about is escape. I think about being alone (doing my "introvert" stuff, like reading/gaming/writing/more reading/listening to and playing music/etc) almost as much as a teenager thinks about sexual intercourse. It's they way I would imagine an addiction would be like.

3. I think I answered this one with above statements. Basically, the need to recharge comes from....too much stimulation, in the form of....almost anything but self-acquired information. I never get tired of researching things, reading stuff, or learning. The number one draining thing on me is social interaction. I know that sounds....stereotypical, but it's true for me. I read somewhere (probably on here, if I recall) about introverts having to put more thought work into conversations than extroverts. I don't know how true that is, but when in conversation, I spend a few seconds more than most people do to respond, because I'm.....really thinking about what they said. Unless the answer requires a quick response, I usually think about it for a moment.

After a while, that starts to grate at me. I can easily digest information I feed to myself, because I can "ingest" it at my own pace. But with some people.....it's just too fast. It's sort of like trying to stream something or download a file on a dial-up connection. That's probably a decent depiction of how my brain works.... Imagine a massive hard drive, great processor, just all-around good computer, but connected to the outside with *ugh* dial-up.

The beauty of it....? If I succeed in getting my introvert time, I return to my normal, stoic self. Plain on the outside, perfectly fine on the inside.

....until that battery runs out again.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^Totally feeling you with that post. :yes:

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I hate that I can't add any more than what has already been said...:shock:

I relate to Sonata's post the most maybe, at least with all of the bluntness and wanting to escape. It's tough times when a person can't get his/her sacred alone time.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3

The cause for the need to recharge - information overload; not enough space and time to process everything I've come into contact with. It tires me immensely.

Basically, it's not pretty until I get some time to recharge. Then I'm all my usual self again :) Until next time...

^ :yes:

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Extroverts just seem to not understand the Introvert's side of the spectrum, and maybe this thread can enlighten some people.

Honestly I think that I know exactly how you all feel, it just takes way way more to get me there.

In my job last summer, I was a teacher/camp-counselor combo. My hours were 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM, with no sort of break at all. I had to be "on" and outgoing for about 11 hours straight, and couldn't space out since I was in-charge of making sure that these kids learned some material and had fun while doing it.

I was fine all day, and never felt drained. I would actually get more and more pumped as the day went on, since talking to the other staff was really cool (a lot of interesting people there). When I went to get into my car to go home, I would feel like I could go on for another few hours.

The moment I sat down in my car and mentally left the job though, I was DONE. By done, I mean completely checked out from giving a shit about any sort of reality involving others. If someone tried to talk to me from that point on during the night, I'd answer in monotone one-word answers, and try to get away as fast as I could. Small things that others imposed upon me would irritate the crap out of me, and I just felt mentally exhausted. The weird thing was: I could still enjoy the company of my friends if I really tried, but they would need to drag me places. For example: one day I had just gotten home, and they called me to go see a movie. They basically dragged me out of the house, but I ended up enjoying myself without having to say much.

I'm guessing that this is what happens to introverts, except it takes less than 11 straight hours of socialization to make it happen.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm guessing that this is what happens to introverts, except it takes less than 11 straight hours of socialization to make it happen.

I don't really agree with the "friends dragging me places" thing because nothing is fun in that state of mind of "recharging" besides being alone. :D

And to add clarity, it's not just socializing, it's any interaction with the outside world, it wears us down. Socializing just wears us down very quickly. I'll post the biological reasons for E vs I later today, but I have to go to school now...

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

1) First and foremost, I lose focus. I feel more mentally drained than physically (and it makes sense since I have an introvert brain).

2) Well, like some days when I'm constantly doing things with people (and they could be very lethargic things too), I feel drained if it's been more than a few hours.

3) What causes me to recharge is the bad feeling of lack of focus I get when I'm constantly in an extroverted environment. When I'm alone, things move at my own pace and so this enables me to 'catch up' and re-gain the lost energy.

Danse_Macabre

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
What happens to you personally?
I get really depressed if I'm out for more than about four hours. I also get bitingly sarcastic and viciously honest...I don't bother to hold back on anything.

What are some experiences?
When this happens, I usually just leave wherever I am and go home. I used to do it when I was in high school. It was especially bad when I went on school tour for 3 and a half weeks. I was very miserable for a lot of the time because I shared a room (We even shared beds) with three other girls.

Like I said, any form of social interaction that lasts longer than about four hours, no matter who I'm with unless it's my one closest friend. Parties are especially bad, but I don't ever go to any anymore so that doesn't matter =D

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ

Bingo, me too. If I am doing some solitary thing I am generally very relaxed there is low informational input coming in, its just me. When I am not doing that and I am out with people I am running so much new raw information through my intuition and my emotional filters that I start to wear down. I can usually go a full night no problem now even a day or two I could do I am sure. But by the time I get to my limit I am worn out completely. I need to get the hell away, I stop talking, I don't want to hear anything from anybody, I get tired and feel just heavy and leaden. Then I feel like I start forgetting things. I need to dip away and just let my mind process all the new information, when its done I can come back for more.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
What happens to you personally?

I become easily agitated and impatient. I have trouble investing myself emotionally in other peoples needs, I find myself not listening to people and being somewhat selfish.

What are some experiences?

Nothing really stands out, I'll make weak excuses not to hang out, or dodge phone calls of people I don't particularly care for. I'll often go to bed at an unusually early time (like eight or nine) and get some quality sleep. I love sleeping.

What causes you to need to "recharge?"

Hard to say, it's comfortable to have some alone time every couple of days and not let yourself be stressed over interpersonal relationships.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I know I need to get away when I just feel like I've been away from a familiar place too long. If I've been out all day, by the afternoon, I'll start craving my room or my car because I've just been exerting myself so long in unfamiliar territory. Like, yesterday, I started out around noon going out shopping for clothes. I hit up the mall, had lunch with my brother, met my sister and mother for lunch again, then went back to shopping. By the time 5 PM rolled around, I was falling asleep in my car. That could just be general exhaustion. By the time I got home, I felt like I had conquered the world, but I felt like I couldn't do anything until like an hour went by of just recuperating in my room.

I tried working on some Accounting homework, and a problem that I was hoping would be uber simple for me was the most complicated thing in the world. My concentration was gone. I sat there hating myself for not being able to do the homework that was due tomorrow. Then I went to bed after watching a movie, woke up and did the homework before class. I did a 180 and finished the problem in 15 minutes before class started, then proceeded to annoy the fuck out of my teacher by dissecting the problem and questioning his way of doing it.

I'm not really sure if I can pinpoint the lack of energy as an introvert. I went out the other night to find a movie theater to go to. I found it, drove up to the front, and saw dozens of people standing outside. All of a sudden I thought, "holy crap, parking spaces are hard to find, I'm going to have to stand in a line for a half hour likely next to a crapload of people I don't know." A very negative wave came over me that just said, "Don't." I just left.

I think for me, it's just a general withdrawal. I mean, normally for me I'm withdrawn, like I'm just observing everyone, but when I run out of energy, I more of withdraw completely. I no longer pay attention to conversations. I stop caring about the people around me. I just focus on something in my head. It's also hard to differentiate this from general exhaustion and needing to eat.

I think Te just tends to keep me from being too isolated. It might be the same for all IxxJs. If I sit at home too long, I'll begin asking myself, "What is it that I'm accomplishing? Am I being productive?" and that'll usually push me to change things up.

krunchtime

1. My energy is depleted. I get testy, impatient and my listening skills deteriorate exponentially. Others seem to take forever to get to the point or say inane things that I've no wish to hear. If surroundings are crowded, I get even more pissed off.

2. I do that on a daily basis. The effects usually kick in at the end of each day, I can only sustain concentration and energy for a max of 6 hours or so. Then, I won't feel at ease until I hole myself up in my fortress, barricaded with music and internet.

3. Extended period of concentration, communication with people. Communication is the worst, because I typically lose interest after 20 mins or so then try to fake it for another 10 mins, before making my escape. Does not apply to topics of interest, of course.