• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni vs Si, and more

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Si creates impressions of events, and sometimes that "shadow" of an event is remembered more clearly for me than the physical details of the event.

Ni should work in a way very similar to this, shouldn't it? Except that the information is taken about more abstract events. Is that possible--impressions about abstract themes and information? Impressions already seem to be "abstract" things.

Maybe I'm making the mistake of extending Si into Si-Fi, remembering my evaluation of how I feel about an event.

Maybe it's just because they are both introverted perceiving functions, and are bound to be fairly abstract and subjective. Are Ni and Si giving "interpretations" of things, without evaluating and judging? Is that possible?

Maybe it sounds like a vague function because it has not been attached to Te yet? I think extending it to Si-Te would make it look a lot more tangible. We would expect sensing functions to already look tangible, but actually I think adding Te enhances that a lot in the case of Si (or at least, for the way I'm thinking about "tangible" things).

What are your thoughts about any of it? I'm looking for feedback.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm inclined to see Si as the memories/ideas themselves coupled with the feeling experiences of the memories (mood, emotional state, significance attached)...but in the raw sense, unprocessed by an evaluating function. I think Si sense acts as a footprint too, and a template for future experience and choices for Si primaries.

What Si+Fe and Si+Te are good at it comparing things in the now to the "template" object in the past. This is why they tend to make great meticulous accountants, engineers, analysts, proofreaders, etc.; there's a mental recall of detail coupled with the ability to compare.

I think it's kind of hard to describe perceiving functions, especially Si. Ne and Se "have movement" so to speak, but the Pi functions are all internal; I feel like Si is walking through a museum of treasured memories, while Ni is like playing with an internal kaleidoscope of sorts, exploring patterns through which the world is viewed. So yes, I think adding a Judging function makes it easier to talk about Pi. It's kind of hard to describe a "way of seeing," it just exists on its own... just like we can't see the wind but we find it easy to talk about it based on the impact it has on the external observable world.

VagrantFarce

stealin' quotes from a book:

Personality Type: An Owner's Manual said:
For example, at a recent board meeting, an ISTJ accountant told the group that he enjoyed recording the organisation's income and expenditures, but he didn't want to be involved with the money itself -- counting it, bringing it to the bank, and so forth. This is a classic Introverted Sensing approach, material reality is just so much raw experience. It has to be controlled with a stable mental framework.

Introverted Intuition moves us in the opposite direction. It tels us that changing our frame of mind can change the world. For example, a recent article advises the parents of a fussy or demanding baby not to describe the infant as difficult but to recognise that such children have vivid, strong, and rich personalities. This is how Introverted Intuition works. The material facts remain the same, but we organise them in a new conceptual pattern that changes their meaning and gives new options for behaviour.