Thread: MBTI Step III

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default MBTI Step III

I happened to be Googling info on MBTI Step II today and ran across mention of the Step III test supposedly released this past summer, along with a sample.

Anyone have any more information on this new iteration of the test?

For those who do not know what Step II is (let alone III), we have an old thread on the MBTI vs MBTI II here:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...p-ii-test.html

For some Step II samples for what types I could find (most of the samples are ISTJ, it seems), look here:
    ISTJ
    ENTP
    INTJ
    ESTP

And, the most info I could find on Step III, this INTP sample:
    INTP

The Step III presentation is interesting for this report because it tries to give a comprehensive description of the person rather than revealing scores in main and subtraits for the person being tested. You just get a lot of descriptive statements.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Thanks Jennifer. Like the questions and suggested challenges aspect of how it was presented. Am a bit unclear on how one step is distinguished from the other although. Regardless quiet an interesting read on the example of the INTP patient which seems even more individualistic than most INTP break downs of character type.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Enneagram
    1w2

Hmm. The Your Approach to Yourself and the World, Your Approach to People and Relationships, and Your Approach to Responsibility and Work about 75% parts sound generic and could be applied to anyone, while the rest kind of seem geared towards a general introverted personality. I'd like to see how the profile reports compare.

You appear to have confidence in yourself and your ability to handle the situations you face in at least some areas of your life.

When you experience self-doubt, it may show itself in some awkwardness around people, so you might be seen as shy.

You see difficulties as a challenge, are willing and ready to deal with them, and have confidence that you will succeed.

Your sense of well-being is reflected in seeing yourself as energetic, enthusiastic, and confident in your decision-making and in living your life in general.

You indicate that you do not worry beyond appropriate areas of concern.

You are so intently focused on the future that you may not be taking much pleasure in the present.

You favor close relationships with relatively few people, rather than having a broad acquaintanceship with many people.

Your relationships might be more satisfying if you recognized others for their contributions and
    expressed your appreciation of them more openly.

Sometimes you disagree with what is being said, but dont necessarily express your disagreement.

Some people may not find you easy to work with and may see you as cooperating with them only when it suits you.

You are quite reticent about expressing your personal feelings.

You tend to take responsibility only for things that really interest you and reject responsibility in other areas, perhaps because you are not sure of yourself in those areas, or because you dont want to be burdened by being responsible for things in which you have no interest.

You tend to work more steadily on things that are interesting than on things that are not.

You seem to be much more comfortable when your work does not involve pressure or deadlines.

You may feel frustrated because the demands of work leave you too little time to have fun in your life.

As often as not, you seem to like starting well in advance of deadlines and working steadily to meet them.

In certain arenas at work, you seem to like keeping your options open so youre not locked into plans made way in advance.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

keep the critiques comin'.

Forer is pretty obvious if you take the statements one-on-one. I wonder if they have more power when stacked together.

It's kind of hard to evaluate the results without having a good cross-sample of various outcomes. Unfortunately, this is the only sample of the Step III I can find right now.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    1w2

I forgot my usual 1:1 good/bad rule!

The challenge questions are a good addition. In fact, I'd prefer to see how people answer the challenge questions as an indicator of personality type. I think they'd yield more interesting answers.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

I like the format and layout of the information.
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

I read the new ISTJ report.

An ISTJ with out-of-preference imagination. hahaha. hahaha. hahaha.
    Their stupidity is reaching epic proportions.

People will do anything to avoid admitting the theory was severely flawed to begin with.
    The S/N dichotomy has always been nothing more than assumption. Not fact.
    S and N are not mutually exclusive.
    Even after all these decades, MBTI still doesn't get it.
    If they told the truth, they would lose millions.

So rather than present the truth, they now call S's with N "out of preference,"
    and N's with S "out of preference."

Rubbish.

People can easily use both N and S, without being "out of preference."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    An ISTJ with out-of-preference imagination. hahaha. hahaha. hahaha.
    Their stupidity is reaching epic proportions.

People will do anything to avoid admitting the theory was severely flawed to begin with.
    The S/N dichotomy has always been nothing more than assumption. Not fact.
    S and N are not mutually exclusive.
    Even after all these decades, MBTI still doesn't get it.
    If they told the truth, they would lose millions.

So rather than present the truth, they now call S's with N "out of preference,"
    and N's with S "out of preference."

Rubbish.
    *shrug*

A framework is a framework.
    Every theory takes such stances, so it doesn't particularly bug me in itself.
    Especially because I know concrete people who are intuitive in some ways but not others, while still remaining at core concrete. (and vice versa)

But if the patches get too complicated/convoluted, then it's time something got reworked.

The money is an issue nowadays, true; but I don't think it's the driving force, if there is any flaw it's simply someone being over-attached to their theory. You know how idealists or theorists are.

PM: Yeah, good point about the challenge questions... and yes, I think those might be even more informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    PM: Yeah, good point about the challenge questions... and yes, I think those might be even more informative.
    What challenge questions are you and PM referring to?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Jag, it's my understanding that you start out with one "information gathering" method and eventually you get your second one once you hit your third function.

i.e., a more wide range of ability comes with maturity.

Also, i've seen "X" information gatherers slowly develop the beginnings of both sides; Remember that N and S are merely marking points on the same scale to describe where you are on that scale.
    Love is the point.