Thread: MBTI Step III

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    What challenge questions are you and PM referring to?
    I'm pretty sure she meant in the Step III sections, underneath all the descriptive statements, there are questions (in aqua?) that are general-answer, where the answers might be far more revealing than the original test questions (whatever they were).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    1w2

Yes, I'm referring to the questions underneath each bullet point in aqua.

Like for example, I think a good test question for extroverted perception that's in this INTP MBTI Step 3 is: Does maintaining openness ever result in excessively delaying a decision? and maybe adding a little on about how comfortable a person in during this delay period. Maybe a person who prefers extroverted judgment would express more anxiety during this period. It's way better than asking "how often are you on time for your appointments?"
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Yes, I'm referring to the questions underneath each bullet point in aqua.

Like for example, I think a good test question for extroverted perception that's in this INTP MBTI Step 3 is: Does maintaining openness ever result in excessively delaying a decision? and maybe adding a little on about how comfortable a person in during this delay period. Maybe a person who prefers extroverted judgment would express more anxiety during this period. It's way better than asking "how often are you on time for your appointments?"
    I've often found that appt. question misleading.
    My Dad will leave far in advance of an appt, and arrive early.
    I get there on time, but I wait until the last minute to leave.
    So I am usually driving fast to get there.
    But then I am a fast mover, by nature.
    Walking, talking, driving etc.
    My Dad is slow walking, talking, and driving.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yup, that's the level of granularity that makes the question too broad unless you already understand what they are asking. There are so many ways to be early and be late that it's the method that matters more.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    1w2

Yeah, I think that if questions were improved to reflect people's real habits, why someone does what they do instead of just looking at the fact that they do it, then MBTI skeptics () would see this as a viable resource to understand the mental modes of self and others. It's easy to disregard take with a certain level of seriousness when your HR department uses something that you saw on Hello Quizzy.

An INFP friend of mine lives on her Blackberry and rigidly schedules everything. When we talked about this, she says she's her embarrassment about being late, missing a deadline, or keeping another person waiting causes her to schedule herself so tightly. Also she's a researcher and I'm sure a lot of the structure she's had to learn due to her career and education has rubbed off into her personal life. On the Big Five, she scores above average on the conscientiousness factor.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

You appear to have confidence in yourself and your ability to handle the situations you face in at least some areas of your life.
    Wow, how vague is that?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Wow, how vague is that?
    Don't you realize what MBTI type that description applied to?

ISTJ
    ISTP
    ISFJ
    ISFP
    INFJ
    INFP
    INTJ
    INTP
    ESTP
    ESTJ
    ESFP
    ESFJ
    ENFP
    ENFJ
    ENTP
    ENTJ

MBTI
    xxxx

It is interesting that the individualized descriptions emphasize the areas where someone tests strongly opposite to the archetype. For the ISTJ they added the descriptor "imaginative" since that was the area which tested high on the N scale, and the INTJ one included "tender and open-ended" (F and P traits). Defining someone's type by the way it deviates from the archetype is a backwards way to come at type descriptions.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I've known about this for a while, and even was the one who first added the info about it on the Wikipedia article on MBTI.
    Back then, before it came out, it was described as going more in depth with specifically the J/P scale. Is that what this is doing? I'll have to study it. (First time I've seen a sample report. I kept hearing it was coming out "soon", and lost track of what was going on with it).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Skimming through the MBTI Manual I just got, I see it says on p.10 that the Step III IS the Type Differentiation Indicator! (Form J)

All the time I had gotten the sense that they were two different extensions. TDI is the one that introduces the additional factor of Comfort-Discomfort (Neuroticism, basically), while Step III was only described on the CAPT site, as "going more in depth on the J/P scale".

The sample reports on the site mention nothing about C/D. Perhaps, they're still trying to downplay it ("too negative"), which is why the 7 subscales were left out of Steps I and II in the first place. Form J "contained all 290 items written by Myers that had survived her previous item analyses". (p.131)
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas