User Tag List

123 Last

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Default How does your mind work?

It seems to me that everyone I know has a different way of thinking. Like all of them have a different kind of mind or something. Some people don't seem to have a brain and just do whatever other people do, others seem to do monologues in their heads and there are also people who I just can't follow. So, I'm curious, who do your thoughts and your mind work?
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    LII

I like the idea of this thread, though it's kind of vague. So, I'll try to answer your question as best as possible.

To start, I have only met a couple of people that I believe even begin to understand the way I work upstairs. Don't get me wrong - this isn't about genius or thinking on a higher level than other people: My brain is just not wired the same. At some times I'll understand something that no one else does and it's like adding two and two for me, and other times I feel like I'm the only one who's completely lost.

Things like Math and Science come easy; I just "get it." I can't explain it any better than that. But with social matters it all seems so arbitrary. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing most of the time, so I try to shun that sort of thing. I can mimic basic social techniques, but when paired with someone I don't know I usually freeze with a nervous grin on my face. Believe me, it's not the least bit charming. Sometimes I wonder whether it's my inclination towards introspection and avoidance of anything social that makes me awkward due to lack of experience, or if my awkwardness drove me to introversion. Then again, I have never been that strong in E to begin with.

I'm very disorganized, and very forgetful. My thoughts, my room, everything about me is pretty messy, even sometimes lazy. Especially when stressed or depressed, I tend to take a "I don't give a damn" or "I'll do it sometime later" approach to things around me. Because of this I sometimes drop everything, avoiding responsibility.

I don't know if this is how other INTPs work, but I'm also very musically inclined. Music is one of the few things that seems to actually make me feel strong emotion. My mind's like an iPod perpetually on shuffle; there's never not some tune playing in my head, even while I'm thinking in depth. It's very entertaining, actually.

Sigh. The only thing worse than being an INTP is a female INTP. (Or I suppose an INTJ. Or a female INTJ...)
    I 79.65%
    N 67.34%
    T 80.53%
    P 75.76%

5w6 sp/so/sx

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium Onyx View Post
    I like the idea of this thread, though it's kind of vague. So, I'll try to answer your question as best as possible.

To start, I have only met a couple of people that I believe even begin to understand the way I work upstairs. Don't get me wrong - this isn't about genius or thinking on a higher level than other people: My brain is just not wired the same. At some times I'll understand something that no one else does and it's like adding two and two for me, and other times I feel like I'm the only one who's completely lost.

Things like Math and Science come easy; I just "get it." I can't explain it any better than that. But with social matters it all seems so arbitrary. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing most of the time, so I try to shun that sort of thing. I can mimic basic social techniques, but when paired with someone I don't know I usually freeze with a nervous grin on my face. Believe me, it's not the least bit charming. Sometimes I wonder whether it's my inclination towards introspection and avoidance of anything social that makes me awkward due to lack of experience, or if my awkwardness drove me to introversion. Then again, I have never been that strong in E to begin with.

I'm very disorganized, and very forgetful. My thoughts, my room, everything about me is pretty messy, even sometimes lazy. Especially when stressed or depressed, I tend to take a "I don't give a damn" or "I'll do it sometime later" approach to things around me. Because of this I sometimes drop everything, avoiding responsibility.

I don't know if this is how other INTPs work, but I'm also very musically inclined. Music is one of the few things that seems to actually make me feel strong emotion. My mind's like an iPod perpetually on shuffle; there's never not some tune playing in my head, even while I'm thinking in depth. It's very entertaining, actually.

Sigh. The only thing worse than being an INTP is a female INTP. (Or I suppose an INTJ. Or a female INTJ...)
    Get out of my mind!

This is a better description of how I think than I could have written, myself. Everything but the part about being female applies.

In regard to math, science, and sometimes philosophy, there is more to it for me beyond just "getting it," although I certainly do "get it." Math and science are not just sets of rules and results deduced (or induced) from those rules. They are whole entities. Everything fits together, but it does so synergistically(?). Whenever I'm toying around with concepts in math, science, and philosophy, I feel immersed in the subject, as though I am swimming in a pool of math, or whatever else. Sometimes the simultaneous simplicity and complexity of the concepts and how the parts they play in composing the singular entities makes me giggle or even laugh out loud. This sounds a lot like the descriptions I have heard of Introverted Sensing, but with concepts instead of sensory stimuli.

I am also very musically inclined, complete with perfect pitch (although sharp keys tend to throw me off). There is always something stuck in my head -- usually the last thing I listened to. I have tried everything I could think of to get music out of my head, including foregoing listening to music for several months, but to no avail.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Like a library.

Phantonym

Round and round it goes. I do the inner monologue thing.

Ginkgo

I do the inner monologue perpetually. I sometimes wish there was a pen somewhere, writing all of these thoughts down in a book, because I frequently lose track of them.

The most frustrating thing for me is trying to recall epiphanies and ideas. They can sometimes get lost between my other thoughts, like the books in library - if you will - but messier. I often find myself repeating my actions in an attempt to conjure up what I was thinking about 5 moments ago, because I knew there was something that led to that thought.

I'm too busy examining the crowd to just go along with it. I would rather try to determine whether I should even be part of it or not.

I'm not a follower. Neither am I really a leader, but I can be either if I need to.

Things like Math and Science come easy; I just "get it." I can't explain it any better than that.
    Yes, I can identify with this. The most exciting thing about this (at least for me) is trying to dissect the concept and regurgitate it into a format that someone else can understand. I don't know why, but I get a great deal of satisfaction from this.

Combination of a movie screen and a library.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTP

Same.

All that I can think of is that my mind is very people-focused. I am constantly scanning the emotional room temperature of my environment and if I see someone who seems like an outsider, hurt etc I try to somehow comfort them and include them. I am constantly trying to figure people out and why they do certain things. I see the relationships between people and try to figure out how to mend broken relationships and how to invest into relationships through encouragement, gifts, kindness etc so that they are healthy and go deeper and become more authentic. I feel like a doctor whose aim it is to find the wounded in a group and to nurse them back to emotional health so that the whole group can function better again. I am almost like a general of emotions, I am very strategic in figuring out the strengths and weaknesses of people and supporting them either way so that they can reach a higher level.

I am also an abstract thinker, one thing will remind me of something else that from the outset seems completely unrelated, for example I remember learning at uni about President Truman's doctrine of containment and on the same day I managed to flood my bathroom and as I saw the water spreading across the floor the first thought that jumped into my head was: "Containment! Containment!"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

A hat rack at the best times, a wall blogeoning device at the worst of times.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]