User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you Procrastinate?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a P and I tend to procrastinate

37 78.72%
  • I am a J and I tend to procrastinate

8 17.02%
  • I am a P and I tend NOT to procrastinate

1 2.13%
  • I am a J and I tend NOT to procrastinate

1 2.13%
123 Last

Ginkgo

Unhappy P is for Procrastination?

There is seemingly a trend of Ps who tend to procrastinate and Js who don't. At least, that's what the common conception is.

However, I have a few ESXJ friends who procrastinate for various reasons. Therefore, I wonder why they procrastinate, and why other types procrastinate.

Are you a P or a J? Do you procrastinate? Why?

I don't procrastinate when it comes to paying taxes, preparing dinner, trimming toe nails. I work a lot, commuting about 1 1/2 hours each way, although I also work from home sometimes. I find that I procrastinate more when I finally have time to do what I want to do than when something needs to be done. Does that mean I tend to procrastinate or not? discuss.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I do what needs to be done (by) when it needs to be done.

Any solution I implement in the present is the manifestation of an idea that caused me to procrastinate doing something else in the past. Therefore, I am at peace with any tendencies I have with regard to procrastination.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

everyone does it. Could be self-doubt, could be because the task is completely uninteresting/foreign to you. Could be control issues...

I do it a lot. I'm a very bad procrastinator, being a perceiver just adds to it.

Ginkgo

I always procrastinate when I am by myself for some reason. I become an aimless cannon.

However, if you place me in a structured environment, I am timely. I basically just need someone there to tell me what to do. If I actually went out and bought a pocket planner, I'm sure I would be much more productive.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    However, I have a few ESXJ friends who procrastinate for various reasons. Therefore, I wonder why they procrastinate, and why other types procrastinate.
    I think it's because I need to spend a lot of time with other people, which can sometimes be an interference. However, I do what I can to be able to fulfill all of my duties.

Sometimes I feel that I'm a procrastinator, but then when I take a look at my ESTP roommate, I realize that I probably only feel that way because of what strict expectations I have of myself.

And I can relate to what you said about being alone. It can be depressing sometimes to the degree where I just don't feel like doing anything at all.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I always procrastinate when I am by myself for some reason. I become an aimless cannon.

However, if you place me in a structured environment, I am timely. I basically just need someone there to tell me what to do. If I actually went out and bought a pocket planner, I'm sure I would be much more productive.
    same here. It's like when I was in my portfolio art class senior year in high school. Always drawing, painting, etc. Now it is rare for me to do those things on my own now that I no longer have that atmosphere. I find a lot of the 'me' time goes to the shitter as I burn it all on internet time. But I can't seem to gear up to do anything else when I'm alone.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    I don't procrastinate when it comes to paying taxes, preparing dinner, trimming toe nails. I work a lot, commuting about 1 1/2 hours each way, although I also work from home sometimes. I find that I procrastinate more when I finally have time to do what I want to do than when something needs to be done. Does that mean I tend to procrastinate or not? discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    same here. It's like when I was in my portfolio art class senior year in high school. Always drawing, painting, etc. Now it is rare for me to do those things on my own now that I no longer have that atmosphere. I find a lot of the 'me' time goes to the shitter as I burn it all on internet time. But I can't seem to gear up to do anything else when I'm alone.
    +1

Yeah, that's me, too. I can be very organized with things other people are counting on me for, but I tend to procrastinate about things that require me to be self-motivated. My mother actually mocked this tendency in me and said I went like this (which is true):

Scenario 1
    ------------

Teacher: I don't actually care if you turn in the work or study. It's up to you. All that really matters is that you pass the test. And if you don't, hey, it's your money.

Me: <thinking to self> Well, if they don't care, I guess I don't care.

Me: <procrastinates, can't get anything done until the last minute, does half the work, fails class>

Scenario 2
    -----------

Teacher: Homework is due every week, and is an important part of your grade. I'll be checking to see if you have it and how prepared you are at different times every week, so don't forget. I'll also have you check each others work from time to time. It's important to me that you apply yourself to this and do well, because this class is worth the effort, so if you don't care about this class enough to apply yourself, leave now.

Me: <thinks to self> I don't want to let the teacher down, or look sloppy in front of the class.

Me: <gets right on the ball, stays ahead of where the class is, puts extra effort into work to impress class and teacher, passes with flying colors>

My mother complained that my success in Scenario 2 over Scenario 1 makes me a child, and isn't fitting behavior for an adult, though.

She says it's because I'm not self-disciplined or self-motivated.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I am a P and I procrastinate because I have a very hard time motivating myself to do things that I don't want to do (I think the technical term for this is "laziness.") If I don't want to do something, I will resist doing it whether I am in a structured or unstructured environment. If I do want to do something, however, I work best in an unstructured environment. If too much external structure is placed on something I want to do, it takes away from my motivation to do it (e.g., read X pages by Y date, write an essay about a passage within those pages, and give a 10 minute presentation. Then do again with the next few chapters.) I like it when I'm given bigger goals with a bigger time frame in which to complete them.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Pretty much, yeah
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?