User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Default What type is the most pedantic?

By pedantic I mean, most likely to obsess about the formal things like grammar and spelling, shamelessly show off their knowledge, and challenge arguments based on trivial details.

To be honest, I just learned the meaning of "pedantic" a little over a week ago.

I've already noticed this behavior to be infamous in INTPs, ISTPs, and some INFPs. However, I acknowledge that I'm very ostentatious when it comes to things like statistics and philosophy. So which type is generally the most pedantic and why?
    Last edited by Ivy; 10-23-2007 at 12:50 PM.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

IxTP

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    By pedantic I mean, most likely to obsess about the formal things like grammar and spelling, shamelessly show off their knowledge, and challenge arguments based on trivial details.

To be honest, I just learned the meaning of "pedantric" a little over a week ago.

I've already noticed this behavior to be infamous in INTPs, ISTPs, and some INFPs. However, I acknowledge that I'm very ostentatious when it comes to things like statistics and philosophy. So which type is generally the most pedantic and why?
    I believe that IxTP's only think they're good with grammar and such based on their own rules and understandings of it. I actually see them making quite a few spelling and punctuational errors. Perceiving types are generally right-brained, and right-brained people are usually poorer spellers than left-brained people, who tend to be more precise and structured. I think IxxJ's are actually better. (But I may be biased.) It's also likely that when an IxTP claims to understand a particular aspect of grammar, they use a very complex, logical-sounding, convoluted argument that everyone simply accepts because it intimidates them, and don't bother to examine it very closely.

I'm guess IxTJ's would show such a thing more often, but IxFJ's would still notice such things, and point them out if they're in the right mood. I think ISTJ might actually be the best, presuming they've been exposed to proper spelling and such from a young age.

MBTI
    INTJ

An immature INTJ.

MBTI
    ESTJ

By pedantic I mean, most likely to obsess about the formal things like grammar and spelling
    INFJs.

To be honest, I just learned the meaning of "pedantric" a little over a week ago.

I would say INTPs meet the way you define pedantic (mainly the ones like me). I have been accused of "showing-off" my knowledge by friends from time to time. But it feels truly suffocating to spend a lot of time and effort to understand something, and not be able to share that understanding with someone else.

What one person considers trivial, is essential to another. I really hate it when people dismiss one of my points as being "just semantics." For me, it means they are not listening. I consider it a form of purposefully ignoring someone, and actually consider it quite mean.

Still, I think grammar and spelling are arbitrary things and don't care to spend all that much time getting better at them. I will tend to correct mistakes when I see them, however.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    What one person considers trivial, is essential to another. I really hate it when people dismiss one of my points as being "just semantics." For me, it means they are not listening. I consider it a form of purposefully ignoring someone, and actually consider it quite mean.
    Yes, I see what you mean. Someone on a message board called the United States a democracy. So I told them it was a Constitutional Republic, and they just ignored it and wrote it off as "splitting hairs."

People often want to overlook fine distinctions, and sort of "gloss over" things. I don't understand that at all.

I wonder if being pedantic/meticulous might be a trait separate from type?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I would say INTPs meet the way you define pedantic (mainly the ones like me). I have been accused of "showing-off" my knowledge by friends from time to time. But it feels truly suffocating to spend a lot of time and effort to understand something, and not be able to share that understanding with someone else.

Still, I think grammar and spelling are arbitrary things and don't care to spend all that much time getting better at them. I will tend to correct mistakes when I see them, however.
    Objection.

Semantics is the first rule in understanding.

The exact definition of what is what.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

By pedantic I mean, most likely to obsess about the formal things like grammar and spelling...
    Athenian200. (But that's more than four letters!)

I think spelling and grammar are important. (How on earth can you properly convey the nuance of your ideas if you have never mastered the communication medium you're trying to speak through?)

Then again, I've been twisted by working 17 years in one publishing industry after another.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I am pretty pedantic. To illustrate my point, I will comment on this detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I believe that IxTP's only think they're good with grammar and such based on their own rules and understandings of it. I actually see them making quite a few spelling and punctuational errors. Perceiving types are generally right-brained, and right-brained people are usually poorer spellers than left-brained people, who tend to be more precise and structured.
    I don't think I'm good at grammar, I know I'm good at grammar. I haven't yet met someone (in RL) my age who has superior spelling/grammar skills, and that includes INTJs, INFJs, and an ESFJ. I'm an excellent, anal proof-reader, and I've never lost marks on anything for grammar. However, online I tend to speak in a more informal fashion so as not to appear overly stuffy. It is also easier to convey tone by ignoring select grammar rules. I think that this--along with simple carelessness--would be the cause for most spelling and punctuation mistakes observed online, rather than a lack of knowledge.

It's my opinion that the extent to which you read would have a larger impact than P/J. My INTJ best friend has terrible grammar, and he almost never reads for pleasure, whereas I've read...definitely hundreds, maybe thousands of books in my life.

EDIT: to clarify, I don't care about the grammar used by other people, unless it renders text difficult to read. And I would never consciously try to improve my grammar skills, unless they were so bad that they were causing problems.