User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 44

  1. #21
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Well, the way I think of it. All republics are democracies (representative democracies, instead of a pure one, but still). All Constitutional Republics are republics, and therefore democracies. So the US is a democracy, specifically, a constitutional democracy.
    Actually, a republic is a form of government in which people elect their representatives to rule for them, and a democracy is a form in which the people rule, directly or indirectly. Since congress is checked by an executive branch and an appointed judicial branch, and we have an electoral college to elect the president, we are much closer to a republic.

    Also, a representative democracy might be accurate enough since it admits the representative part, but you would have to call it a constitutional representative democracy, when you could just call it a constitutional republic. The word republic expresses the idea more succinctly, and more accurately.

    Lastly, the pledge of allegiance and the Constitution both refer to the nation as a republic.

    I guess I'm the "worst" pedant on this message board.

  2. #22
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I guess I'm the "worst" pedant on this message board.
    But that's why we love you, C3PO.

    (You know, you need to pepper your posts more with phrases like, "Oh my!" and "Oh dear!" and "My gracious!" and "Well, what on earth would YOU know, you overturned rusty bucket-of-bolts? Stop beeping and whistling, the master needs us!")
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #23
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotmale View Post
    INFJs.
    Good heavens, no.

    Spelling and grammar are never an end in themselves. Spelling is something of a challenge to me because the intent behind the message is always more important than the manner of delivery. It's not what I care about most. INFJs are considered the most poetic by some. Their use of language tends towards expression, not the letter of the law.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  4. #24
    filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    3,272

    Default

    ISTJ.

  5. #25
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    ISTJ.
    I'd say more likely ISTPs. Every ISTJ I have ever met is too introverted to be very pedantic.

  6. #26
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Good heavens, no.

    Spelling and grammar are never an end in themselves. Spelling is something of a challenge to me because the intent behind the message is always more important than the manner of delivery. It's not what I care about most. INFJs are considered the most poetic by some. Their use of language tends towards expression, not the letter of the law.
    So a poetic person cannot be pedantic? I don't think that. I guess I really only became the way I am about spelling and grammar after I tried to learn C and HTML. It makes you more aware of such things. Ultimately, I tend to notice what's expressed more than the spelling, but I still notice it.

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Actually, a republic is a form of government in which people elect their representatives to rule for them, and a democracy is a form in which the people rule, directly or indirectly. Since congress is checked by an executive branch and an appointed judicial branch, and we have an electoral college to elect the president, we are much closer to a republic.
    So why is a republic not a democracy? It seems like a way for people to rule indirectly. I don't think these are mutually exclusive. In fact, I would say the set of all democracies include the set of all republics.

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Also, a representative democracy might be accurate enough since it admits the representative part, but you would have to call it a constitutional representative democracy, when you could just call it a constitutional republic. The word republic expresses the idea more succinctly, and more accurately.

    Lastly, the pledge of allegiance and the Constitution both refer to the nation as a republic.
    To me, what you are saying sounds like, "A Green Delicious is not a fruit, it is an apple." All I'm pointing out is that it is both. One category is just more specific.

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I guess I'm the "worst" pedant on this message board.
    Perhaps the most pedantinc, but not the "worst". I can give a run-for-you-money on both

    ---------------------------------

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I guess I really only became the way I am about spelling and grammar after I tried to learn C and HTML. It makes you more aware of such things.
    Computer laguages use "context free" grammars (often LALR(1)) and are very systematic. Human languages have grammars based on tradition more than utility.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  8. #28
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    So why is a republic not a democracy? It seems like a way for people to rule indirectly. I don't think these are mutually exclusive. In fact, I would say the set of all democracies include the set of all republics.
    Heh heh... I always wondered why the US exported democracy and not republican...ism (?!). I guess it was a bit to close to exporting plutocracy. Wait a sec....

  9. #29
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    So a poetic person cannot be pedantic? I don't think that. I guess I really only became the way I am about spelling and grammar after I tried to learn C and HTML. It makes you more aware of such things. Ultimately, I tend to notice what's expressed more than the spelling, but I still notice it.
    A deeply poetic person could be pedantic, but it would always be a means to an end, never the end within itself. The end would be the intangible expression and meaning in the poetry. Securing details would be a way to aid in communicating the intangible with the most force, if that is what was required. Does that make sense?

    I'm guessing the most pedantic type would revel in the exacting of details for the love of those details.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  10. #30
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I'm guessing the most pedantic type would revel in the exacting of details for the love of those details.
    "ONE! ONE PEANUT-BUTTER-AND-BANANA SANDWICH! AH HA HA!

    TWO! TWO PEANUT-BUTTER-AND-BANANA SANDWICHES! AH HA HA!

    THREE! THREE PEANUT-BUTTER-AND-BANANA SANDWICHES! AH HA HA!"

    But I think he's more OCD, not pedantic.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Similar Threads

  1. What type is the most "gangster?"
    By RaptorWizard in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-09-2013, 05:45 PM
  2. What type is the most heroic?
    By Elfboy in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-09-2011, 06:54 PM
  3. What type is the most independent and why?
    By INTPness in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 02:19 PM
  4. What type is the most ..
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 06:10 PM
  5. [MBTItm] What type is the most likely to make a "What type is the most likely" thread?
    By Mort Belfry in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-28-2008, 01:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO