User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Yes, I see what you mean. Someone on a message board called the United States a democracy. So I told them it was a Constitutional Republic, and they just ignored it and wrote it off as "splitting hairs."

I actually think that might be a side effect of when people in a pedantic mood run into each other. I've noticed it a lot on INTP Central, where one person makes a big deal out of a minute detail by trying to correct it. Then someone else comes by and corrects the correcter even further. Then the original correcter returns with trying to gloss over the whole thing. I imagine that once a pedantic person is corrected, it's their natural instinct to try to save face by becoming counter-pedantic.

I wonder if being pedantic/meticulous might be a trait separate from type?
    I hadn't thought of being pedantic as being meticulous. I've seen it as more of an attention grabbing behavior or ostentatious. Since it seems to be a "show offy" behavior, it would probably be associated with "image awareness". So if not associated with type, could it be one of those enneagram 4 things?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Objection.

Semantics is the first rule in understanding.

The exact definition of what is what.
    Who's what is what?

Had to point out that one.

I'm a pedant but not with such formalities as is mentioned here. Pedantry I'd think could be part of any profile. Surely the personality type merely defines some of what style the pedantry is in?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Pedantry I'd think could be part of any profile. Surely the personality type merely defines some of what style the pedantry is in?
    Well said and I agree. Now I might have to change my thread title to "What style of pedantry does each type use?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Well said and I agree. Now I might have to change my thread title to "What style of pedantry does each type use?"
    Now that's a big subject! Are you going purely on cognitive style or behavioural style too? (reflex!!)
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Now that's a big subject! Are you going purely on cognitive style or behavioural style too? (reflex!!)
    Why not both? It would be nice to know not only what aspects people are pedantic about, but also what tactics they tend to use.

Yes, I see what you mean. Someone on a message board called the United States a democracy. So I told them it was a Constitutional Republic, and they just ignored it and wrote it off as "splitting hairs."
    Well, the way I think of it. All republics are democracies (representative democracies, instead of a pure one, but still). All Constitutional Republics are republics, and therefore democracies. So the US is a democracy, specifically, a constitutional democracy.

People often want to overlook fine distinctions, and sort of "gloss over" things. I don't understand that at all.

I wonder if being pedantic/meticulous might be a trait separate from type?
    Sometimes it is a good idea to gloss over things, at other times, it is detrimental. So, we have people gloss over different things, and often see each other as pedantic.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Objection.

Semantics is the first rule in understanding.

The exact definition of what is what.
    I agree. Semantics are needed for understanding. I don't like the word just that they used.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Athenian200. (But that's more than four letters!)

I think spelling and grammar are important. (How on earth can you properly convey the nuance of your ideas if you have never mastered the communication medium you're trying to speak through?)

Then again, I've been twisted by working 17 years in one publishing industry after another.
    Spelling, I think is more important than grammar, but I've rarely seen poor spelling lead to as much confusion as poorly defining the concepts being talked about, making logical contradictions, or assuming too much.

IMO, grammar is little more than Victorian normalcy used to suppress individual style.

I usually use passive voice. It is my voice. I will continue to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    However, online I tend to speak in a more informal fashion so as not to appear overly stuffy. It is also easier to convey tone by ignoring select grammar rules. I think that this--along with simple carelessness--would be the cause for most spelling and punctuation mistakes observed online, rather than a lack of knowledge.

It's my opinion that the extent to which you read would have a larger impact than P/J. My INTJ best friend has terrible grammar, and he almost never reads for pleasure, whereas I've read...definitely hundreds, maybe thousands of books in my life.
    Well said.

I hadn't thought of being pedantic as being meticulous. I've seen it as more of an attention grabbing behavior or ostentatious. Since it seems to be a "show offy" behavior, it would probably be associated with "image awareness". So if not associated with type, could it be one of those enneagram 4 things?
    In common usage, the show-offy part of being pedantic is lost because people who are called pedantic are rarely trying to show off. I think, pedantry is concept that says more about the user of the concept, than the person it is used to describe.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Spelling, I think is more important than grammar, but I've rarely seen poor spelling lead to as much confusion as poorly defining the concepts being talked about, making logical contradictions, or assuming too much.
    Ah...this is so true. Related to my job - It is the reason for endless bickering in the writing of requirements, the requirements being so general and bland that they are of very little use, of the tech coders then not knowing what the heck they're supposed to code for, or interpreting the word 'increase' quite differently from what business would interpret it as, us then receiving 'bad code', and then having to write ptr's to get it fixed, or change requests because initial requirements sucked ......for those of you who are into semantic pedantics ....go into requirements writing and become a business analyst. Save the programmers and testers from the inevitable frustration and confusion. I can't tell you how common it is for requirements to kind of conflict with/contradict each other.

Although -- maybe I should take all of this back. The assumptions, lack of detail, and poor definition or words leads to job security. :-)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm going to go with "whatever type I am," since I just corrected pedantric in your thread title and OP.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    In common usage, the show-offy part of being pedantic is lost because people who are called pedantic are rarely trying to show off. I think, pedantry is concept that says more about the user of the concept, than the person it is used to describe.
    Is this "Make Ruthless Insinuations at Kiddo Day" or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm going to go with "whatever type I am," since I just corrected pedantric in your thread title and OP.

This forum will be the death of me. The worst part is that without even realizing it I switched over to "pedantic".

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

This forum will be the death of me. The worst part is that without even realizing it I switched over to "pedantic".
    Heh. Don't sweat it! I wouldn't have done it if the opportunity for sweet, sweet irony hadn't presented itself so perfectly.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii