• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI type and fans of indie music

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I have always assumed that a large portion of indie admirers are either INT or INF—INF being the larger population.

Thoughts?

G

Ginkgo

This is probably because Indie music gives off an independent vibe, separate from the regulations of the norm. Most INs display this mentality in one form or another, supported by their dominant introverted functions.

Hands Mechanical

MBTI Type
INFP
I think music tastes are pretty variable among types and you couldn't really peg someone's type based on their music tastes, nor peg someone's musical tastes based on their type, but I agree there is probably correlation.

I love indie music and I'm an INFP. However I'm not exactly "indie" in the lifestyle or hipster sense of the word. The people I know like that are seemingly as often Es as they are Is. I also know many INs that don't have any particular care for or love of indie.

Nyx

I don't think it has anything to do with type, really. I have friends ranging from NTs to SJs who like indie music.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Indie music is a pretty vague term, but categorizing music with words is awfully difficult. "Indie" kind of just seems like the new word for "alternative" or "college rock". It pretty much includes sub-genres of rock and pop that aren't on the radio or are just below the mainstream radar, and of course, bands that are on or started on an indie label.

But yeah, I notice that intuitives are drawn to lesser known music (if not necessarily obscure - I wouldn't call my taste obscure at all). Many of them are ENXX though. Few of my intuitive friends like much top 40 music actually. I know sensors who like a lot of indie too, but there's less of a trend in their taste, although I find SP's taste more eclectic and unexpected, which is cool.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I think you're probably right, but I don't care for most indie music, myself.

LEGERdeMAIN

I like some indie music but I wouldn't say I'm a fan or "in love" with the genre. Actually, I don't like any one genre, I just listen to what attracts my ear.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I think music tastes are pretty variable among types and you couldn't really peg someone's type based on their music tastes, nor peg someone's musical tastes based on their type, but I agree there is probably correlation.

I love indie music and I'm an INFP. However I'm not exactly "indie" in the lifestyle or hipster sense of the word. The people I know like that are seemingly as often Es as they are Is. I also know many INs that don't have any particular care for or love of indie.

Ew, I'm not talking about hipsters. Those are an abomination :devil:

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP
I'd definitely call myself a fan of indie music, and I'm currently going by ENTx.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I despise the term indie, but a lot of the musicians I like have independent labels. They are not the same. I Immediately think of an art college kid with thick rimmed glasses and tight pants and a superiority complex when someone says they prefer indie music.

LEVINA

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Okay, I'll admit, I used to be quite pretentious about "indie" and "pfft, I'm more indie/awesome than you!", (Mind you, there are some pure gems that is "indie" out there, although most I've heard are just as bad as the next bad music act/movie.) Which is kinda hypocritical, because the music I like is just not that well-known, not the whole local band indie exactly.

Nowadays, having a specific image broadcast doesn't matter to me as much.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I despise the term indie, but a lot of the musicians I like have independent labels. They are not the same. I Immediately think of an art college kid with thick rimmed glasses and tight pants and a superiority complex when someone says they prefer indie music.
Exactly.

Indie is not a genre, and basically every other person listens to bands that they consider "indie".

B

brainheart

My ESTP husband is all about indie rock- note I say indie rock, not indie music. He's more pro the structured rock n' roll version of indie while I'm more pro acoustic guitar lyric-driven indie. We both like both, but those are definitely our preferences. Think Dinosaur Jr vs Conor Oberst.

One Day

MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
Some indie bands are alright (or what most people considers 'indie'). Too bad that label has been attached with the awful hipster scene.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't even know what indie is, mostly.

I just listen to music and if I like it I try to buy it.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
My ESTP husband is all about indie rock- note I say indie rock, not indie music. He's more pro the structured rock n' roll version of indie while I'm more pro acoustic guitar lyric-driven indie. We both like both, but those are definitely our preferences. Think Dinosaur Jr vs Conor Oberst.

It seems like a lot of Es prefer indie-rock. Acoustic, like folk? I mostly listen to shoegaze or pastel music.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
the E's i know into 'indie', whatever that is exactly, seem to go for iron & wine type stuff

i always was into shoegaze and dreampop flavored music as well; most people i know who share this preference seem to be iNxP -- one of my ExFx friends swears my bloody valentine makes her feel carsick..

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I was really into a lot of indie bands when I was younger. At some point I stopped keeping track of them though.