User Tag List

123 Last

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default MBTI type and fans of indie music

I have always assumed that a large portion of indie admirers are either INT or INF—INF being the larger population.

Thoughts?
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

Ginkgo

This is probably because Indie music gives off an independent vibe, separate from the regulations of the norm. Most INs display this mentality in one form or another, supported by their dominant introverted functions.

I think music tastes are pretty variable among types and you couldn't really peg someone's type based on their music tastes, nor peg someone's musical tastes based on their type, but I agree there is probably correlation.

I love indie music and I'm an INFP. However I'm not exactly "indie" in the lifestyle or hipster sense of the word. The people I know like that are seemingly as often Es as they are Is. I also know many INs that don't have any particular care for or love of indie.
    oh we will never die
    beside you in time

I don't think it has anything to do with type, really. I have friends ranging from NTs to SJs who like indie music.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Indie music is a pretty vague term, but categorizing music with words is awfully difficult. "Indie" kind of just seems like the new word for "alternative" or "college rock". It pretty much includes sub-genres of rock and pop that aren't on the radio or are just below the mainstream radar, and of course, bands that are on or started on an indie label.

But yeah, I notice that intuitives are drawn to lesser known music (if not necessarily obscure - I wouldn't call my taste obscure at all). Many of them are ENXX though. Few of my intuitive friends like much top 40 music actually. I know sensors who like a lot of indie too, but there's less of a trend in their taste, although I find SP's taste more eclectic and unexpected, which is cool.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTP

I think you're probably right, but I don't care for most indie music, myself.
    Something Witty

I like some indie music but I wouldn't say I'm a fan or "in love" with the genre. Actually, I don't like any one genre, I just listen to what attracts my ear.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Hands Mechanical View Post
    I think music tastes are pretty variable among types and you couldn't really peg someone's type based on their music tastes, nor peg someone's musical tastes based on their type, but I agree there is probably correlation.

I love indie music and I'm an INFP. However I'm not exactly "indie" in the lifestyle or hipster sense of the word. The people I know like that are seemingly as often Es as they are Is. I also know many INs that don't have any particular care for or love of indie.
    Ew, I'm not talking about hipsters. Those are an abomination
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    eNTP

I'd definitely call myself a fan of indie music, and I'm currently going by ENTx.
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always “lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments.” He concluded that “There is more than one way of doing good science.”
    It was Watson’s form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve “the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA.” It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I despise the term indie, but a lot of the musicians I like have independent labels. They are not the same. I Immediately think of an art college kid with thick rimmed glasses and tight pants and a superiority complex when someone says they prefer indie music.