• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI type and fans of indie music

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I hate most music labelled as indie (that obnoxious mix of pop and rock singed by youths with a bad taste for the "contra-culture" [yeah right] trend). But I tend them to associate it with INFJs for some reason. I think INFJs generally have bad taste in music.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I love indie music. When I was in High school I was such a pop lover but now I dislike 99% of it. Its got nothing to do with pretention or that I think indie music is more authentic or anything - the sound just catches my ear more.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Indie music is great, I don't see why it would be a type thing though

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
try iNdie music and you'll have your answer.

you could listen to something unique and interesting, or you could listen to coldplay, u2, dave matthews band, etc.

iNtuitives like ideas, sensors like sound and physical objects and concrete examples.

i just like geeky iNtuitive bands bc their perceptions are interesting to me, relevant to me, meaningful to me, helpful for me, etc

plus as a 5w4 i have an intense need for something new, that doesn't make sense, that breaks conventions, that relates to music as a wide-ranging discourse. are any e5s S types?

Just another ISTJ

MBTI Type
IsTj
Enneagram
1w9
I just like music that resonates with me, which at the moment, consists of more indie scene musicians than top 40 mainstream fair.

you could listen to something unique and interesting, or you could listen to coldplay, u2, dave matthews band, etc.

There's plenty of indie artists that sound like other indie or mainstream acts.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
on what record labels? indie record labels? indie as a description for the process just denotes that it is not well-distributed buy a power player. which would mean mainstream in the sense of distribution even if not in the sense of "genre" so-called, like how ny times bestseller is its own form of genre.

indie record labels rise and fall in relationship to the overall trends in musical discourse. they become relevant then dissipate. as do bands. they have a way higher percentage of geeky iNuitive bands and the meaning of indie is nothing without the history of people making fucked up music that sounds drastically different than other music. in short with think of indie as "too unique for mainstream success," although "indie" within pop jargon/genre/indie pop generally (genreally) means a bit too precious and perhaps pretentious. which is what happens when you pretend to be something in a way that is not totally accepted yet by a wide range of people. and everyone is pretending, that's the whole point of performance.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate indie music.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

iNtuitives like ideas, sensors like sound and physical objects and concrete examples.

i just like geeky iNtuitive bands bc their perceptions are interesting to me, relevant to me, meaningful to me, helpful for me, etc

plus as a 5w4 i have an intense need for something new, that doesn't make sense, that breaks conventions, that relates to music as a wide-ranging discourse. are any e5s S types?

Indie labels is not the same as independent record label anymore...or at least that's what I understood by "indie".

Can progressive rock, acid jazz, post metal, industrial, IDM etc be considered indie music just because they can be released in independent record labels? In that case I LOVE indie music lol :D

Just another ISTJ

MBTI Type
IsTj
Enneagram
1w9
indie record labels rise and fall in relationship to the overall trends in musical discourse. they become relevant then dissipate. as do bands. they have a way higher percentage of geeky iNuitive bands and the meaning of indie is nothing without the history of people making fucked up music that sounds drastically different than other music. in short with think of indie as "too unique for mainstream success," although "indie" within pop jargon/genre/indie pop generally (genreally) means a bit too precious and perhaps pretentious. which is what happens when you pretend to be something in a way that is not totally accepted yet by a wide range of people. and everyone is pretending, that's the whole point of performance.

Right, which was similar to modern rock when it first came about several decades ago. It was drastically different at the time, then it became widely accepted, followed by a distaste for it on the basis that much of it was "inspired"/sounds like various predecessors.

With that in mind, I'm curious as to your thoughts on indie rockers who seemingly replicate the music they heard off of their parent's old vinyl collection, which to a younger generation in particular, might sound brand new and amazing.

S

Stansmith

I'd guess ISPs, NFPs, INFJs, NTPs, ESTPs and INTJs. A few ENFJs every now and then.