User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    ISFJ

I hate most music labelled as indie (that obnoxious mix of pop and rock singed by youths with a bad taste for the "contra-culture" [yeah right] trend). But I tend them to associate it with INFJs for some reason. I think INFJs generally have bad taste in music.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I love indie music. When I was in High school I was such a pop lover but now I dislike 99% of it. Its got nothing to do with pretention or that I think indie music is more authentic or anything - the sound just catches my ear more.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Indie music is great, I don't see why it would be a type thing though

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

try iNdie music and you'll have your answer.

you could listen to something unique and interesting, or you could listen to coldplay, u2, dave matthews band, etc.

iNtuitives like ideas, sensors like sound and physical objects and concrete examples.

i just like geeky iNtuitive bands bc their perceptions are interesting to me, relevant to me, meaningful to me, helpful for me, etc

plus as a 5w4 i have an intense need for something new, that doesn't make sense, that breaks conventions, that relates to music as a wide-ranging discourse. are any e5s S types?

Senior Member Just another ISTJ's Avatar
    MBTI
    IsTj
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTP

I just like music that resonates with me, which at the moment, consists of more indie scene musicians than top 40 mainstream fair.

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post

you could listen to something unique and interesting, or you could listen to coldplay, u2, dave matthews band, etc.
    There's plenty of indie artists that sound like other indie or mainstream acts.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

on what record labels? indie record labels? indie as a description for the process just denotes that it is not well-distributed buy a power player. which would mean mainstream in the sense of distribution even if not in the sense of "genre" so-called, like how ny times bestseller is its own form of genre.

indie record labels rise and fall in relationship to the overall trends in musical discourse. they become relevant then dissipate. as do bands. they have a way higher percentage of geeky iNuitive bands and the meaning of indie is nothing without the history of people making fucked up music that sounds drastically different than other music. in short with think of indie as "too unique for mainstream success," although "indie" within pop jargon/genre/indie pop generally (genreally) means a bit too precious and perhaps pretentious. which is what happens when you pretend to be something in a way that is not totally accepted yet by a wide range of people. and everyone is pretending, that's the whole point of performance.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I hate indie music.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ISFJ

iNtuitives like ideas, sensors like sound and physical objects and concrete examples.

i just like geeky iNtuitive bands bc their perceptions are interesting to me, relevant to me, meaningful to me, helpful for me, etc

plus as a 5w4 i have an intense need for something new, that doesn't make sense, that breaks conventions, that relates to music as a wide-ranging discourse. are any e5s S types?

Indie labels is not the same as independent record label anymore...or at least that's what I understood by "indie".

Can progressive rock, acid jazz, post metal, industrial, IDM etc be considered indie music just because they can be released in independent record labels? In that case I LOVE indie music lol

Senior Member Just another ISTJ's Avatar
    MBTI
    IsTj
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTP

indie record labels rise and fall in relationship to the overall trends in musical discourse. they become relevant then dissipate. as do bands. they have a way higher percentage of geeky iNuitive bands and the meaning of indie is nothing without the history of people making fucked up music that sounds drastically different than other music. in short with think of indie as "too unique for mainstream success," although "indie" within pop jargon/genre/indie pop generally (genreally) means a bit too precious and perhaps pretentious. which is what happens when you pretend to be something in a way that is not totally accepted yet by a wide range of people. and everyone is pretending, that's the whole point of performance.
    Right, which was similar to modern rock when it first came about several decades ago. It was drastically different at the time, then it became widely accepted, followed by a distaste for it on the basis that much of it was "inspired"/sounds like various predecessors.

With that in mind, I'm curious as to your thoughts on indie rockers who seemingly replicate the music they heard off of their parent's old vinyl collection, which to a younger generation in particular, might sound brand new and amazing.

Stansmith

I'd guess ISPs, NFPs, INFJs, NTPs, ESTPs and INTJs. A few ENFJs every now and then.